Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Re: Sandra Brown, August 17-21

Wendy, in answer to this question, refer to reply #55. 

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

I like to think my books appeal to men simply because they're good reads. 

However. . .often my stories are told from the male point of view, and I believe they like that.  It makes the story more relatable to the male reader.  And I deal with universal themes, typically the abuse of power, whether it be parental, official, legal, political, whatever.  All readers can identify with love, loss, envy, anger, disappointment.  And these are the human conditions that I write about.

I try to make my characters as human as possible.  I'd like to think the stories cross gender, generations, and genres.

Sandra, this is really interesting -- we get so caught up in "women's fiction" and "Why don't guys read novels?" when it might be a simpler thing: Men want to read stories told from the male point of view.
I'm not saying that that's true, or universal...just thinking out loud.
Bethanne 

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Whenever I meet a man who confesses that he's never read one of my books, he's typically surprised to learn that many are written from the male character's POV. 

Sometimes I'm asked, "How do you know how a man thinks?"

To which I reply, "Books have been written from the points of view of vampires, ghosts, dogs, sharks.  I wonder how those writers knew how they thought?"  That usually shuts them up! 

But thankfully, many men don't have these prejudices and are avid fans.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Whenever I meet a man who confesses that he's never read one of my books, he's typically surprised to learn that many are written from the male character's POV. 

Sometimes I'm asked, "How do you know how a man thinks?"

To which I reply, "Books have been written from the points of view of vampires, ghosts, dogs, sharks.  I wonder how those writers knew how they thought?"  That usually shuts them up! 

But thankfully, many men don't have these prejudices and are avid fans.

LOL, Sandra. The perfect response! I'm glad that you have so many fans of both genders.
It's time to let you get on with your work and the promotion of SMASH CUT. Thank you so much for your time and great answers today.
However, I do want to remind readers that Sandra Brown will be with us here on Center Stage for the rest of the week -- just not "live." If you've been following along, or if you read this later, please feel free to send in YOUR questions and comments about Sandra Brown's books.
Until then, happy reading!
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Thanks, Bethanne.

I enjoyed it very much.

Sandra

New User
Momma_Ross
0 Kudos

Sandra/Mrs Brown,

You feel like a friend from all the books of yours that I have read, yet I know, absolutely you deserve so much gratitude for the creativity and sweat and tears you've experienced in order to allow your fans so many hours of enjoyment!  You are definitely in my top three go-to authors when I need a good book!

I have a huge toss up on which of your books could possibly be my favorite - I loved Envy, Smoke Screen, Ricochet... !!!  It amazes me how you can write so many great books and they are so fresh!

What would you recommend to an aspiring author?  How would you suggest someone get their feet wet so to speak?

I can't wait to get my copy of Smash Cut!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Becke. . .thank you for being a fan for so long!

I've got fingers crossed that SMASH CUT will be my 58th New York Times bestseller.

58th? Is that a record? Seems like it should be.
You've been writing blockbusters for quite awhile now, but I wondered if you ever miss the category-type romances. Also, I like both your old and new books, but I wondered what your personal favorites are? 

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Since movies are such an important part of SMASH CUT and since one of the questions I'm asked most frequently has to do with getting my books to the big--or small--screen, I thought I'd pose a fun, two-part question for the readers out there.  

What's your favorite Sandra Brown book and who would you cast to play the leads if the book were made into a movie?

I'll be back tomorrow so we can compare notes.

Sandra 

Reader
smoochys
0 Kudos

I amazed by the number of books that you've written. Those that I've read have always been really enjoyable, but I think my favorite is White HotI would cast a very yummy Matthew McConaughey as Beck.

Totally off-topic, I must complain that you didn't let Jay suffer enough in Smoke Screen.

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Hi, Momma Ross,

As as aspiring writer, you're doing the first essential -- that's reading.  Read constantly.  And you must also write.  I don't know any shortcuts to putting down one word at a time.  That's how books are written. You may consider joining a writers group in your area.  At the early stages, critique partners and group discussion about the craft can be helpful.

I wish you the best of luck!

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Becke,

I love what I'm writing now or I wouldn't be writing in this genre.  But I also enjoyed the change of pace that RAINWATER gave me.  As a creative person, I try and do something different with each book, incorporate an element that sets it apart.  I've adapted this technique to keep myself from getting bored, and, hopefully, it works for the readers, too!

As for personal favorites, I never tell!

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Smoochys,

Thank you for your compliment, and Matt McConaughey would be fabulous as Beck!

As for Jay, he didn't suffer nearly as much as his partners in crime, did he?

Contributor
The-Ladies-Room
0 Kudos

I can vouch that you're books appeal to men.  When I worked at Princess Cruises and Tours we started a library in the lunch room and your books and Nora's writing as J. Robb always left the shelves.

I love your books and have Smash Cut on my tbr pile.  One of my personal favs was French Silk but then I such a fan of all your books.

Saw your posts on the new blog WowOWow.

So what's next for you?  What are you working on?

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

The-Ladies-Room wrote:

I can vouch that you're books appeal to men.  When I worked at Princess Cruises and Tours we started a library in the lunch room and your books and Nora's writing as J. Robb always left the shelves.

I love your books and have Smash Cut on my tbr pile.  One of my personal favs was French Silk but then I such a fan of all your books.

Saw your posts on the new blog WowOWow.

So what's next for you?  What are you working on?

Hi, The Ladies Room -- love your "handle!" Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that post on WowOWow -- Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Hi, Ladies Room. . .

Glad to know my books are in demand on the cruise ships! 

I'm working on next year's thriller, featuring a character from SMASH CUT, Dodge Hanley.

In the meantime, RAINWATER comes out Nov. 3.

Thank you for the post.

Sandra

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Smoochys,

Thank you for your compliment, and Matt McConaughey would be fabulous as Beck!

As for Jay, he didn't suffer nearly as much as his partners in crime, did he?

Hi Sandra -- I think Matthew McConaughey would be GREAT as Beck!
I have a question for you today -- what's the most interesting encounter you've ever had with a reader in real life?
Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Your September announcement.......can you give us a hint?  :womanvery-happy: Is the book a Christmas book or contemporary romance.  I love your old contemps in fact, are your readers still able to contact Amie for your old releases?

Contributor
KFZuzulo
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

My husband and I happened to sit next to your very charming son, Ryan Brown, and daughter-in-law, Victoria, at ThrillerFest.  We had a lovely chat and Ryan told us a bit about his new book coming out next year.  Sounds very intriguing-definitely a thriller AND with a zombie theme!  Love that.

First of all, I just think it's so cool that he's gone into the 'family business.' And I was wondering, regardless of genre, what piece(s) of advice did you give to your son when he began writing his book?

thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! Sorry for my absence today; I've been in the car on leg one of a vacation drive. But I'm here and reading -- and I know Sandra Brown is, too. I'm going to catch up on comments, then remind everyone over on Twitter that there's still plenty of time to get Sandra to answer questions. 

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Hi, Bethanne. . .

This most interesting encounter I've had with a reader?  Hmm.

Well, a couple once brought their son Chase to a book signing.  She'd been reading Texas! Chase when the baby was conceived.  They wanted me to witness what I had inspired and took my photo with the baby.  That was fun!