Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne

Sandra Brown, August 17-21

[ Edited ]

This week we welcome NYT-bestselling author Sandra Brown to Center Stage -- she's sure to light it up with her wit. Remember, you can ask her about her latest novel Smash Cut, but since many of you won't have had the chance to read it yet, Sandra is here to talk with you about all of her other books, as well. 

Sandra Brown is the author of fifty-seven New York Times bestsellers, including Smoke Screen; Play Dirty; Ricochet; Chill Factor; White Hot; Hello, DarknessThe Crush; EnvyThe Switch; The Alibi; Unspeakable; and Fat Tuesday, all of which have jumped onto the Times bestseller list in the number one to five spot. Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published seventy-two novels, most of which remain in print. 

As of 1990, when Mirror Image made The New York Times bestseller list, each subsequent new novel has become a Times bestseller. In 1992 her novel French Silk was made into an ABC-TV movie. Brown now has seventy million copies of her books in print worldwide, and her work has been translated into thirty-three languages.

A lifelong Texan, Sandra Brown was born in Waco, grew up in Fort Worth and attended Texas Christian University, majoring in English. Before embarking on her writing career, she worked as a model at the Dallas Apparel Mart, and in television, including weathercasting for WFAA-TV in Dallas, and feature reporting on the nationally syndicated program "PM Magazine." 

She is much in demand as a speaker and has appeared at the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C. and the Texas Book Festival in Austin, TX, as well as charity functions throughout the year. Court TV also sought Brown to host the 2007 premier of its popular series "Murder by the Book."

Brown recently was given an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Texas Christian University. Other awards and commendations include the 2007 Texas Medal of Arts Award for Literature, the American Business Women's Association's Distinguished Circle of Success, B'nai B'rith's Distinguished Literary Achievement Award, the A.C. Greene Award and the Romance Writers of America's Lifetime Achievement Award. Sandra was also named Thriller Master for 2008, the top award given by the International Thriller Writer's Association. In addition, Sandra is a member of Author's Guild, Mystery Writers of America, Novelists, Inc., Literacy Partners, and a founding member of International Thriller Writers.

Sandra and her husband Michael Brown live in Arlington, Texas.

Message Edited by Kristine_S on 08-18-2009 11:44 AM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Sandra Brown, August 17-21

Hi Sandra,

Fat Tuesday was the first book that I read.  I loved that it was set in my favorite spot of New Orleans.  You are always an author I look for when I am searching for new reads and you never disappoint.

Love & Hugs,

Pam Keener in PA

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sandra, Welcome to B&N and Center Stage. I love all of your books and I especially like Play Dirty.  I can't wait to read Smash Cut. I love all of your characters even the down and dirty ones.

Don't have a question, just wanted to say Hi.

A true fan 

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Pam,

Thank you so much!  I liked FAT TUESDAY, too.  Doing the research was no hardship duty!  I appreciate your loyalty and continued interest.

Sandra

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Debbie,

Thank you for your comments, especially on PLAY DIRTY, a personal favorite.  Who could possibly resist Griff!?! 

Sandra

New User
Atieno
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

Love your books - my sister and friends and I read and re-read them voraciously.

My question is about the heroes in your novels.  The first of your novels I read was Slow Heat in Heaven (bits of which I can quote from memory);  Cash in many ways epitomises the flawed (both physically and emotionally) hero.  For you, what is the allure of/intent behind portraying a hero with an eye patch/scars (like in Envy) or a generally checkered past?

Can't wait to read smash cut!  Only wish you could write them faster! :smileyhappy: 

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!  I'm thrilled to be spending the week here at Centerstage and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's chat.

For those of you curious about the title, SMASH CUT is a screenwriting term that means, "a quick or sudden cut from one scene to another."

With SMASH CUT, two elements began nagging me simultaneously. Honestly, I can’t say which began pestering me first. But both demanded my attention, so rather than discarding one in favor of the other, I decided to incorporate them.

One was an event, which I can’t tell you about here because it became a catalytic and pivotal scene, and I don’t want to spoil any surprises. The other was a character, who, right off the bat, proclaimed himself the villain, and, in my imagination, soon proved himself to be.

The heroine is a woman every woman would like to be. Julie Rutledge owns her own business and knows her own mind. She’s independent, smart, and cultured. Some of her polish she picked up during the years she lived in Paris. She’s the beloved of the wealthy and influential Paul Wheeler -- and she’s at his side when he’s brutally murdered.

Derek Mitchell, has a sophistication to match Julie’s, but underneath he has the must-win soul of a junk yard dog. He’s a hot-shot criminal lawyer of renown, the scourge of prosecutors and policemen, but a trial attorney who’s earned their grudging respect and fear.

Derek has met his match in Julie, who’ll stop at nothing – and I do mean nothing – to see that Paul’s murderer is brought to justice. Julie and Derek are adversaries who soon find themselves with a common goal, that of stopping a role-playing sociopath, who’s constantly rewriting a script of his own making and assigning parts to unwitting co-stars.

I hope you’ll find this story as riveting to read as I did to write. Sometimes even I didn’t see the twists coming. Or in this case, the SMASH CUTs.

Until tomorrow, 

Sandra 

Contributor
KFZuzulo
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra, what a thrill!  I've read so many of your books and have really enjoyed them all.  Play Dirty does stick out in my mind.  Was wondering how you arrived at the characteristics that make Griff so memorable?  Can he possibly be an amalgam of people you know (very colorful)? Or do you create a persona that you simply find intriguing?

Another question: You have so many terrific characters.  When you develop a new storyboard, are you constantly running lines in your head that your characters will/should say?

Finally, what is your favorite book among your collection of work?

Thanks so much for taking the time!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sandra - I'm almost embarrassed to say how long I've been reading your books! I read a lot, so I only keep my favorites -- and a lot of your books are on my shelves. I have a soft spot for your early books, since those were the first ones I read. Led Astray is a particular favorite, but that's only one of many. It's so cool that you've become such a mega-famous author. Do you even know how many times you've made the New York Times Best Seller list?
New User
Thea18
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra I just want you to know that I LOVE your books.I have been a fan ever since I read Fanta C (nicked it from my elder sister's closet). After that, I couldn't help myself but started reading everything Sandra Brown I could get my hands on. Over the years, I've read ALL of your books and have to say that 'Slow Heat In Heaven' is my all-time fave. Must be Cash or must be just me :smileywink:

I wanted to ask how do you manage to distance yourself from the characters that you're writing about?

I mean whenever I try to write, I always discover that I'm writing more about myself than about the character. This has always been a major problem for me.

I can't wait to read Smash Cut and you'll always be my favourite author :smileyhappy:

Love,

Thea

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sandra! We're all so thrilled you're here, and like you, I'm really looking forward to our live Tuesday chat. I'll "see" you soon!

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Good morning, everyone! Sandra Brown will be here with us LIVE today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Eastern time. Get your questions and comments ready; it's sure to be a lively discussion. 

If you have any questions and/or problems, let me know here or via email: thebookmaven@gmail.com.

Til soon!

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Hi, Sandra; Hi, readers! It's time for our two-hour live-chat event with Sandra Brown, and I hope everyone has some great questions and comments for Sandra.

I'll start things off: Sandra, thank you for joining us today. Would you share a little about SMASH CUT with us? What's "new" about it? I know the title gives us a clue...

Bethanne 

0 Kudos

Hi, Bethanne and all visitors. . .

Thank you for joining me today!  I've looked forward to "talking" to you.

SMASH CUT is a script writing term that applies to an abrupt edit, intended to scare or jar the audience is some way.  I hope you find some smash cuts as you read the novel!  I try to build in plot twists and surprises for you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Sandra-Brown wrote:

Hi, Bethanne and all visitors. . .

Thank you for joining me today!  I've looked forward to "talking" to you.

SMASH CUT is a script writing term that applies to an abrupt edit, intended to scare or jar the audience is some way.  I hope you find some smash cuts as you read the novel!  I try to build in plot twists and surprises for you.

Sandra, we all love you for your plots. What made you want to use a script-writing term?  

0 Kudos

Sandra, I also want to ask you: Which number book is this for you? I know you've written over 70...but I'd like to get the exact number for our readers today. 

0 Kudos

Atiendo,

Thank you for your remarks.  I suppose I fall a little bit in love with each hero.  Sometimes I want to strangle one for not cooperating with me!  They often have their own ideas about how things should go! 

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

KF. . .

None of my characters is based on anyone I know.  I don't any people as interesting as my characters!  Especially the heroes! 

What made Griff particularly interesting to me was that here was a guy who was living every little boy's dream.  He had thousand of people who worshipped him, lots of money, talent, and yet he squandered it.  In the back of my mind were all these athletes who throw away a brilliant career and all the opportunities it affords by doing something stupid.  At least in Griff's case, there was real redemption.

And,yes,my characters "talk" to me.  In fact, I watch them, and when they do something or say something, I write it down.  I know that sounds crazy!  My husband is convinced!

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

I believe it's #73.

I'm hoping it becomes my 58th New York Times bestseller.

Fingers crossed!

Author
Sandra-Brown
0 Kudos

I wasn't familiar with the term, but when I began doing the movie research for the novel, I ran across it.  It was perfect for the title.