Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

September 8-12: Meg Cabot

Do you have a question for Meg? Reply to this message to start the conversation.

About Meg Cabot
Meg Cabot was born on February 1, 1967, during the Chinese astrological year of the Fire Horse, a notoriously unlucky sign. Fortunately she grew up in Bloomington, Indiana, where few people were aware of the stigma of being a fire horse -- at least until Meg became a teenager, when she flunked freshman Algebra twice, then decided to cut her own bangs. After six years as an undergrad at Indiana University, Meg moved to New York City (in the middle of a sanitation worker strike) to pursue a career as an illustrator, at which she failed miserably, forcing her to turn to her favorite hobby--writing novels--for emotional succor. She worked various jobs to pay the rent, including a decade-long stint as the assistant manager of a 700 bed freshmen dormitory at NYU, a position she still occasionally misses.

She is now the author of nearly fifty books for both adults and teens, selling fifteen million copies worldwide, many of which have been #1 New York Times bestsellers, most notably The Princess Diaries series, which is currently being published in over 38 countries, and was made into two hit movies by Disney. In addition, Meg wrote the Mediator and 1-800-Where-R-You? series (on which the television series, Missing, was based), two All-American Girl books, Teen Idol, Avalon High, How to Be Popular, Pants on Fire, Jinx, a series of novels written entirely in email format (Boy Next Door, Boy Meets Girl, and Every Boy's Got One), a mystery series (Size 12 Is Not Fat/ Size 14 Is Not Fat Either/Big Boned), and a chick-lit series called Queen of Babble.
Meg is now writing a new middle grade series called Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, as well as an edgy new YA series, Airhead, both of which debut in Spring of 2008. Her new paranormal series, Abandon, debuts in Summer of 2009.

Meg currently divides her time between Key West, Indiana, and New York City with a primary cat (one-eyed Henrietta), various back-up cats, and her husband, who doesn't know he married a fire horse. Please don't tell him.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
Simon-Says
0 Kudos

Re: September 8-12: Meg Cabot

Dear Meg,

I know everyone says it, but it's true. You're the most fab YA author ever! And your adult books are awesome too. 

Why did you want to write about a wedding gown restorer? Have you ever wanted a job like that? Or any job in the fashion industry? Or do you just love wearing the clothes ?  :smileyvery-happy:

- Simon-Says  

New User
tallpopp1-123
0 Kudos

Hi Meg!

My Name is Roshni and I am one of your fans from the UK. I am so glad that you are doing this because I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your books, especially The Meadiator series which I was never able to put down. It was my sister's B'day recently and when I saw that you were coming to the UK, to W'stones Picadilly I had to get tickets and surprise her. So hopefully if nothing goes wrong, we will be seeing you there!

xxx

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Hi, everybody, and thanks so much for coming to Centerstage here at Barnes and Noble to say hello!  I'm really excited to be here talking about my books and writing and...well, whatever you want to talk about!  

Right now I'm in Key West, Florida where we're about to get hit by Hurricane Ike, but it's not looking as bad as earlier reports, so hopefully we won't lose power/Internet, and I'll be able to stay on throughout the week.  I'm just mentioning it in case I disappear suddenly--it's just because my cable went out!  But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that won't happen!

Anyway, thanks again for coming, tell your friends to stop by to chat, as well....I can't wait to meet all of you!

Love

Meg 
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Simon-Says wrote:

Dear Meg,

I know everyone says it, but it's true. You're the most fab YA author ever! And your adult books are awesome too. 

Why did you want to write about a wedding gown restorer? Have you ever wanted a job like that? Or any job in the fashion industry? Or do you just love wearing the clothes ?  :smileyvery-happy:

- Simon-Says  

Hi, Simon-Says!  Thanks for the kind words!  I love clothes and I also love to draw so actually for a while I did study fashion and costume drawing in college.  I wanted to be a fashion illustrator too at one point.  And I LOVED vintage clothes in the 80s.  And who doesn't love wedding gowns?  So I decided to throw all those interests into one in Lizzie.  
 Also, my apartment in Manhattan is on the Upper East Side which is FILLED with wedding gown restoration shops just like the one Lizzie works in, so naturally I wondered what it would be like to work in one. I do sort of wish I hadn't eloped so I could have had a big foofy gown of my own...but I satisfy my craving by watching bridal reality shows on TV--and writing about it!  

Love, Meg

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

tallpopp1-123 wrote:

Hi Meg!

My Name is Roshni and I am one of your fans from the UK. I am so glad that you are doing this because I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your books, especially The Meadiator series which I was never able to put down. It was my sister's B'day recently and when I saw that you were coming to the UK, to W'stones Picadilly I had to get tickets and surprise her. So hopefully if nothing goes wrong, we will be seeing you there!

xxx

Hi, Roshni!  I can't wait to see you at Waterstones!  Now I know at least there'll be one person I know there!

See you then!

Love,

Meg 

New User
JennyTreerose
0 Kudos

Hi Meg,

I absolutely love your books (& blog!) and I have been inspired by you in many ways:

1. I'm pre-med (we can't all be blessed with the ability and drive to write, unfortunately)

2. After the anxiety attacks I had the first month my Man and I announced our engagement, we decided to disregard the whole wedding thing and will elope as soon as I graduate in December

3. I still tried on wedding dresses, found "the one" as the 3rd dress I tried on and purchased it (only $200 because it was a discontinued store model, which makes me feel it was worth the joy it brought, if nothing more)

4. My Man and I are not sure we even want to have kids - we have only just embarked on our lives and haven't even started/built up our careers, plus there is no way I would want to pass on my genes onto anyone

5. I use Cetaphil and I love it!

6. I want to elope in a foreign country (looking like New Zealand right now, but it can change)

I wanted to ask you a question, if you have time:

I have read many times in your books and blog that one of the reasons you and HWSNBNITB (T= That) have a solid relationship is you have separate interests.  My dude and I live in a 420ish 1 bedroom/ 1 livingroom-kitchen common area which kinda forces us to do the same stuff whenever we are both home.  Do you have any recommendations besides not coming home until later?

Thanks!

Jenny

New User
vivica92
0 Kudos

Hi Meg!!!!

So, I dunno if you recognize me but I'm always sending you emails and being on the chats... well, maybe I'm an internet stalker huh?

but then, as I am here anyway...

I'd like to say that I love your books so much!!!! AND I'd like to ask why they take so long to arrive to a brazilian edition? Oh, and when is TEEN IDOL going to be on screen?

really, IMDB doesnt say even the actors! Do YOU know who they are? and if yes, who? (I'm dying of curiosity.)

anyway hope to see you one day here in brazil (you'd love the beaches - I dont, but people say its wonderful)

see yah

vivica 

New User
ErinEliz
0 Kudos

Hey Meg!

I just wanted to say how much I love your books, as well as ask your advice.  I've always wanted to be a writer.  This may go along with what you've said about not letting people know that, since they will only try to talk you out of it.  However, I've been declaring it as my dream profession since I was 13 (I'm 23 now), so it was already to late for me on that front.  :smileyhappy:

My question is whether or not, perhaps especially before you became published, it was hard to convince other people that you needed time to work on your stories?  To be a writer, you have to write, of course.  Sometimes I'll be really invested in whatever story I'm working on, wanting to finish a scene or a chapter, and I'll have friends and family trying to make plans with me.  The excuse "no thanks, I need to write" doesn't seem to work.  They think I'm just saying that to get out of going or that I just don't want to hang out with them.  The fact is, sometimes when I'm on a roll writing, I can't stop or I'll lose my train of thought!

Thanks!

Erin

Contributor
Junes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Meg!

Thanks for being here Meg! I love all your books (Adult/YA/historical) and wanted to tell you that you are truly an inspiration. You have said in your advice to aspiring writers, “Good luck, and keep writing! If I can do it, so can you!”

This really is true – I followed it and today I’m a published author.  Thank you for being such a great motivator for all the young people out there (and some of us oldies too!) and a wonderful role model. :smileyhappy:

Thanks

June Sproat

Message Edited by Junes on 09-08-2008 01:25 PM
Ordinary Me--March 2008
www.junesproat.com
New User
Knightly_Karina
0 Kudos

Hello Meg!

Oh goodness, I don't even know where to start!! Seriously, I don't. haha! I keep on typing things that make me seem like I'm a mindless fan girl who just found out that their favorite actor is going to take them out to lunch tomorrow ^___^. OK. Now that I got that out, I would like to say I love your books!! So far my favorites are the Mediator series and the boy series!! 

In the mediator, I really liked Susannah's character. The way her point  of view leads the reader through the story while adding in her own side thought on things is awesome, and had me laughing out loud quite a few times. I find it easy to relate to her because I find myself telling side stories quite frequently when trying to say something.

In the Boy series, I found the style that it was written in really creative and unique! I haven't read anything else like it! And also it was quite crafty to have the characters from the boy next door  included in boy meets girl and every boy's got one!!

Ok I think I'm done rambling, but before I go, I just have a quick question. Are any of the mediator series going to see the big screen anytime soon?

Sorry if my note didn't make any sense haha and thank you again for writing wonderful books!!

-the one who rambles too much

Karina

ps:I hope the hurricane doesn't bother you and everything turns out ok!

Contributor
StephanieHale
0 Kudos

Hi, Meg!

Are you really reading this or are you making HWSNBNITB answer all these posts? :smileyvery-happy: I used to be uber-jealous of you living in Key West. Not so much lately. I hope you are all boarded up and have plenty of Spam. And those fabu shoes look like they have some suede on them so I hope they get to you dry.

Everybody already knows how great your books are, and we all have OUR own fav, but I was wondering which book was YOUR favorite to write? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, what gives with the silent treatment on 90210? I know this one HAS to be on your Tivo list.

Stay safe, Meg, and for goodness sake, keep that cat inside.

xo,

Stephanie Hale

Revenge of the Homecoming Queen & Twisted Sisters, out now!
Spring Breakup, March 2009.
The Alpha Bet, September 2009.
www.stephaniehale.com
www.booksboysbuzz.com
New User
ReadingMermaid
0 Kudos

Hi Meg!

I just recently discovered your books. I love your writing and humor!  I've read all your Queen of Babble books (I adore Lizzie!), She Went All The Way, your Boy books and now I'm working my way through your Heather Wells books.  I noticed a majority of your work is young adult.  Will you be writing more women's fiction for your older readers? 

Contributor
Junes
0 Kudos

Hi Again, Meg.

Can you tell us a little about "Ransom My Heart"? I know it's historical, can you tell us what time period or location?

Hope all is well in Key West--

Best,

June S

Ordinary Me--March 2008

www.junesproat.com

Ordinary Me--March 2008
www.junesproat.com
Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

JennyTreerose wrote:

Hi Meg,

I absolutely love your books (& blog!) and I have been inspired by you in many ways:

1. I'm pre-med (we can't all be blessed with the ability and drive to write, unfortunately)

2. After the anxiety attacks I had the first month my Man and I announced our engagement, we decided to disregard the whole wedding thing and will elope as soon as I graduate in December

3. I still tried on wedding dresses, found "the one" as the 3rd dress I tried on and purchased it (only $200 because it was a discontinued store model, which makes me feel it was worth the joy it brought, if nothing more)

4. My Man and I are not sure we even want to have kids - we have only just embarked on our lives and haven't even started/built up our careers, plus there is no way I would want to pass on my genes onto anyone

5. I use Cetaphil and I love it!

6. I want to elope in a foreign country (looking like New Zealand right now, but it can change)

I wanted to ask you a question, if you have time:

I have read many times in your books and blog that one of the reasons you and HWSNBNITB (T= That) have a solid relationship is you have separate interests.  My dude and I live in a 420ish 1 bedroom/ 1 livingroom-kitchen common area which kinda forces us to do the same stuff whenever we are both home.  Do you have any recommendations besides not coming home until later?

Thanks!

Jenny

Hi, Jenny!  Wow, I can't believe it!  Pre-med! You're incredible!  Thanks so much for slogging through all the studying so you can cure us when we're sick.  I really, really appreciate that.  Because I plan on being sick a lot in the future.
I totally know how you feel about the common space issue.  I lived in a super small one studio room apt. with my husband.  I'm not really sure how you can solve that if your interests are super space consuming.  Ours were fortunately more media oriented so it was all about headphones. I had a pair I lived in.  I used them to listen to music while I read or to plug into the computer while he watched sports on TV or while I watched TV and he studied or was on the computer.  I I mean as much as you love the person you still need some alone time to pursue your own interests.  I'm just saying.  
Now I live in a house but I still use the headphones because they're a good way to say, "I'm WORKING ON MY OWN THING NOW."
I'm not sure if that helps but I hope so. 
 Love,
Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

vivica92 wrote:

Hi Meg!!!!

So, I dunno if you recognize me but I'm always sending you emails and being on the chats... well, maybe I'm an internet stalker huh?

but then, as I am here anyway...

I'd like to say that I love your books so much!!!! AND I'd like to ask why they take so long to arrive to a brazilian edition? Oh, and when is TEEN IDOL going to be on screen?

really, IMDB doesnt say even the actors! Do YOU know who they are? and if yes, who? (I'm dying of curiosity.)

anyway hope to see you one day here in brazil (you'd love the beaches - I dont, but people say its wonderful)

see yah

vivica 

Hi, Vivica!  Actually I'm going to the book fair in Rio in 2009 so I'll see you there!
And sadly IMDB isn't very accurate--there isn't going to be a Teen Idol movie.  There was going to be one but the deal fell through!  So there isn't an option for it right now!  There are options for Avalon High, How to be Popular, and Queen of Babble though!
As for Teen Idol the Brazilian edition, I know they're working on it!  It should be out soon!

Thanks for writing!  See you at the Biennial!  Check my website for more info on when!

Love,
Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

ErinEliz wrote:

Hey Meg!

I just wanted to say how much I love your books, as well as ask your advice.  I've always wanted to be a writer.  This may go along with what you've said about not letting people know that, since they will only try to talk you out of it.  However, I've been declaring it as my dream profession since I was 13 (I'm 23 now), so it was already to late for me on that front.  :smileyhappy:

My question is whether or not, perhaps especially before you became published, it was hard to convince other people that you needed time to work on your stories?  To be a writer, you have to write, of course.  Sometimes I'll be really invested in whatever story I'm working on, wanting to finish a scene or a chapter, and I'll have friends and family trying to make plans with me.  The excuse "no thanks, I need to write" doesn't seem to work.  They think I'm just saying that to get out of going or that I just don't want to hang out with them.  The fact is, sometimes when I'm on a roll writing, I can't stop or I'll lose my train of thought!

Thanks!

Erin

Hi, ErinEliz!  I know exactly how you feel.  Telling people you want to stay home and write when you aren't a professional writer who is getting paid to do it isn't something most people will understand or be sympathetic to.  I tried it when I was just starting out but still unpublished and people thought I was being a snotty pretentious byotch.  OR, even worse, then they wanted to read what I wrote that day and I wasn't ready to show it to anyone, and that was just awkward.  (NOTE: my REAL friends were fine with it when I explained I was seriously pursuing a writing career.  Just fringe friends were weird with it, and of course some of my family members).
 So, I recommend lying.  Just lie.  Say you have a headache or homework or have to babysit or work on a special project for your boss or anything, really, except the truth.  I realize this is dishonest and also might be hard to do to someone such as your mother, who could figure out the truth.
 But really, in some cases lying is just easier.  And then when you finally get published, you can take the person you lied to all that time out to lunch and be like, "Oh, by the way, all those times I said I had a headache? I was lying."

But, like I said, your real friends should understand. And DO make time for them sometimes. Friends and family are more important than books.

Love,

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Junes wrote:

Hi, Meg!

Thanks for being here Meg! I love all your books (Adult/YA/historical) and wanted to tell you that you are truly an inspiration. You have said in your advice to aspiring writers, “Good luck, and keep writing! If I can do it, so can you!”

This really is true – I followed it and today I’m a published author.  Thank you for being such a great motivator for all the young people out there (and some of us oldies too!) and a wonderful role model. :smileyhappy:

Thanks

June Sproat

Message Edited by Junes on 09-08-2008 01:25 PM

I'm so glad it worked for you, June!  That's great!  I have some new writing advice up at www.seventeen.com since I'm judging their 2009 fiction contest...everybody should check it out (but not June since she's already published)!

Love,

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

Knightly_Karina wrote:

Hello Meg!

Oh goodness, I don't even know where to start!! Seriously, I don't. haha! I keep on typing things that make me seem like I'm a mindless fan girl who just found out that their favorite actor is going to take them out to lunch tomorrow ^___^. OK. Now that I got that out, I would like to say I love your books!! So far my favorites are the Mediator series and the boy series!! 

In the mediator, I really liked Susannah's character. The way her point  of view leads the reader through the story while adding in her own side thought on things is awesome, and had me laughing out loud quite a few times. I find it easy to relate to her because I find myself telling side stories quite frequently when trying to say something.

In the Boy series, I found the style that it was written in really creative and unique! I haven't read anything else like it! And also it was quite crafty to have the characters from the boy next door  included in boy meets girl and every boy's got one!!

Ok I think I'm done rambling, but before I go, I just have a quick question. Are any of the mediator series going to see the big screen anytime soon?

Sorry if my note didn't make any sense haha and thank you again for writing wonderful books!!

-the one who rambles too much

Karina

ps:I hope the hurricane doesn't bother you and everything turns out ok!

Hi, Knightly Karina!  Thanks for your note!  The hurricane is turning out to be a non-event, thankfully.   And as for for the Mediator, yes, I am executive producing a film/TV project (not sure which it's going to be yet since we don't have a studio) with the producer behind Spiderwick Chronicles. I have a good feeling about it, but it's still months if not years before hitting the screen.  So no breath holding!

Thanks for writing--and reading!

Love

Meg 

Author
MegCabot
0 Kudos

StephanieHale wrote:

Hi, Meg!

Are you really reading this or are you making HWSNBNITB answer all these posts? :smileyvery-happy: I used to be uber-jealous of you living in Key West. Not so much lately. I hope you are all boarded up and have plenty of Spam. And those fabu shoes look like they have some suede on them so I hope they get to you dry.

Everybody already knows how great your books are, and we all have OUR own fav, but I was wondering which book was YOUR favorite to write? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, what gives with the silent treatment on 90210? I know this one HAS to be on your Tivo list.

Stay safe, Meg, and for goodness sake, keep that cat inside.

xo,

Stephanie Hale

Hi, Stephanie!  My husband has no idea how to access this forum or even what I'm doing right now.  But thanks for your misguided faith in his computer skills.  Actually it's gorgeous and sunny in Key West right now!  I feel kind of cheated out of a good storm--but very sorry for Cuba!  ANYWAY--in answer to your question--I completely missed the new 90210.  I know, I know.  But I'm kind of boycotting due to the Tori snub.  I'm sure I'll catch up soon though!  

Love 
Meg