Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Sophie-Kinsella
0 Kudos

Re: Sophie Kinsella, August 24-28

Hi Cheryl

I have never studied novel-writing (can you tell?!) However many years ago I went on the Robert McKee screen-writing seminar Story which has lots of useful ideas for structure. They can be applied to novels too. So I would recommend that.

Sophie 

Author
Sophie-Kinsella
0 Kudos

Hi Liz

I was never one of those kids who 'knew' they would become a writer. But reading other people's books in my 20s, I thought 'I want to have a go at that'. It was just an instinct. And as soon as I started, I loved it.

I wrote my first book and sent it off to two agents whose names I got from the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook. I was lucky enough that they both got in contact - I think I just wrote the right thing at the right time. I signed with one and am still with her today. I didn't have any contacts or knowledge of the publishing industry  - so it can happen!

Sophie 

New User
cheryl27
0 Kudos

Thanks Sophie.  I see he has a book so may have to get that
Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Many many thanks to Sophie Kinsella for a terrific week on Center Stage -- and thanks as well to all of you readers who joined in and offered up your questions and comments for Kinsella.

Join us next week for time with Joseph Finder, whose latest thriller is Vanished!

Have great weekends, everyone --

Bethanne

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!