Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Spencer Quinn, May 11-15

I started reading Chet's blog when you mentioned it at the beginning of the week. It's a fun site. :smileyhappy:

Spencer_Quinn wrote:

Have I mentioned that Chet has a blog, chetthedog.com? Sometimes it deals with things happening in the world - I believe he reviewed Hotel For Dogs, for example - and had opinions on the Obamas's new dog - but right now he and Bernie are in the middle of a complicated case with its roots in an old silent movie called Greed, a complicated case that advance by 150 words a day or so. Was anyone aware of the blog?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I will check it out. Thanks. That will give me something to read til the next book.

Spencer_Quinn wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Good question. I read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. Then my brothers got me hooked on Agatha Christie. So I started spending a lot of time at the library and then the  used book store. Brothers are a good thing.

pen21

Brothers and sisters, too! I sometimes wonder about all the kids growing up as only children. But that's neither here nor there, has nothing to do with Chet and Bernie. Have I mentioned that Chet has a blog, chetthedog.com? Sometimes it deals with things happening in the world - I believe he reviewed Hotel For Dogs, for example - and had opinions on the Obamas's new dog - but right now he and Bernie are in the middle of a complicated case with its roots in an old silent movie called Greed, a complicated case that advance by 150 words a day or so. Was anyone aware of the blog?

New User
curiousvinnie
0 Kudos

I really enjoy the blog - I look foward to it every day and it is definitely a way to ease the wait for the next Chet adventure.  Thank you so much for your efforts and please know they are appreciated.  Please thank Chet as well.

Are there any details you can share about the movie deal?  Will Chet play himself?

'Dog On It' is the best book I have read in a long time - thanks again!!!

Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

Very glad you liked Dog On It. As for the movie deal, the studio is Universal, the producer is Mandalay and the writer is Jeff Lowell (Hotel for Dogs). Other than that I know nothing. As for who should play Chet: my own personal belief is there should be a nationwide search! If there's going to be some sort of voice over narration from Chet's viewpoint - which would only work if we never hear the narration when Chet is on camera, in my opinion - then there'll have to be an actual human actor to do the voice. Any suggestions?
New User
Tulips
0 Kudos

I just finished reading, Dog On It. I recommended it to my book club this month and am excited to see what everyone thinks. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to so clever.

I appreciate you writing a book where the dog doesn't die. I know it's inevitable part of life, but I don't have to read about it for pleasure. There were some tense and very scary parts though. I absolutely I fell in love with Chet and his antics. I envisioned my own dog, Foster (a miniature Australian shepherd) as I read it, which left me wondering: What kind of dog is Chet?

Well done, I cannot wait for the next adventure. When will it be released?

Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

Tulips wrote:

I just finished reading, Dog On It. I recommended it to my book club this month and am excited to see what everyone thinks. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it to so clever.

I appreciate you writing a book where the dog doesn't die. I know it's inevitable part of life, but I don't have to read about it for pleasure. There were some tense and very scary parts though. I absolutely I fell in love with Chet and his antics. I envisioned my own dog, Foster (a miniature Australian shepherd) as I read it, which left me wondering: What kind of dog is Chet?

Well done, I cannot wait for the next adventure. When will it be released?

Thereby Hangs A Tail comes out January 12, 2010. I saw the cover art recently and loved it. As for what kind of dog Chet is, we just know he's big and a mix of some sort. And quite a leaper, of course. Glad you enjoyed the book. 

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

Spencer_Quinn wrote:
Brothers and sisters, too! I sometimes wonder about all the kids growing up as only children. But that's neither here nor there, has nothing to do with Chet and Bernie. Have I mentioned that Chet has a blog, chetthedog.com? Sometimes it deals with things happening in the world - I believe he reviewed Hotel For Dogs, for example - and had opinions on the Obamas's new dog - but right now he and Bernie are in the middle of a complicated case with its roots in an old silent movie called Greed, a complicated case that advance by 150 words a day or so. Was anyone aware of the blog?

Spencer.

What date is the begining of the 150 words a day blog? I realy want to read the story from the begining. It will have to hold me until January when the new book comes out!

I may have figured it out does March 31st sound right Death valley?

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

Spencer_Quinn wrote:

Spencer.

What date is the begining of the 150 words a day blog? I realy want to read the story from the begining. It will have to hold me until January when the new book comes out!

I may have figured it out does March 31st sound right Death valley?

The blog began on the Presidential Inauguration Day. But the present Greed story didn't start till later.  

Reader 4
RedSox33
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Quinn,

First, I can't tell you how much my husband and I both loved your book. I am so excited that we don't have to wait too long for the next one. I've been reading the blog for a little over a month, and it always brightens up my day. Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

Are we going to find out what's wrong with Mr. Singh? I hope that he's OK; anyone that has curried goat for Chet must be nice

Will Iggy & Chet get together and solve a mystery anytime? It would be cool if they could hang out again. Iggy strikes me as quite a character.

You do such a great job of getting across what goes through a doggy mind (at least how I imagine it). It cracks me up when Chet notices that someone is barking and it ends up being him, or that he's suddenly gotten much closer to an item of food, but not on purpose, of courseAlso, it's nice to see how loyal Chet is to Bernie and how much he admires him. At the same time, I love it when he sees Bernie doing something less than wise and thinks "Oh, Bernie..."

I think Jeff Goldblum would be great as Chet's voice, and I agree with you that it would work better not showing Chet while he's thinking - maybe show the world from his point of view while we hear his thoughts.

The story is plenty "noirish" without any actual murders. The part with the animal shelter was stressful and heart-wrenching enough. There was a perfect mix of suspense and humor throughout the book.

As you can see, I could keep babbling about how wonderful your book is, but I'll just say thank you so much for sharing Chet and Bernie with us!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I agree that Jeff Goldblum would be great for Chet's voice.  :smileyhappy:

RedSox33 wrote:

I think Jeff Goldblum would be great as Chet's voice, and I agree with you that it would work better not showing Chet while he's thinking - maybe show the world from his point of view while we hear his thoughts.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

RedSox33 wrote:

Hi Mr. Quinn,

First, I can't tell you how much my husband and I both loved your book. I am so excited that we don't have to wait too long for the next one. I've been reading the blog for a little over a month, and it always brightens up my day. Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

Are we going to find out what's wrong with Mr. Singh? I hope that he's OK; anyone that has curried goat for Chet must be nice

Will Iggy & Chet get together and solve a mystery anytime? It would be cool if they could hang out again. Iggy strikes me as quite a character.

You do such a great job of getting across what goes through a doggy mind (at least how I imagine it). It cracks me up when Chet notices that someone is barking and it ends up being him, or that he's suddenly gotten much closer to an item of food, but not on purpose, of courseAlso, it's nice to see how loyal Chet is to Bernie and how much he admires him. At the same time, I love it when he sees Bernie doing something less than wise and thinks "Oh, Bernie..."

The story is plenty "noirish" without any actual murders. The part with the animal shelter was stressful and heart-wrenching enough. There was a perfect mix of suspense and humor throughout the book.

As you can see, I could keep babbling about how wonderful your book is, but I'll just say thank you so much for sharing Chet and Bernie with us!

Jeff Goldblum - great idea. I never would have thought of that. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Spencer, welcome to BN.com!  Your name has come up a time or two on the Mystery board -- I'll remind our participants to stop by, if they haven't found you already!  Your book is at the top of my TBR pile.  I've read the first few chapters, and hope to sit back and relax with it over the weekend.
Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Hi Spencer, welcome to BN.com!  Your name has come up a time or two on the Mystery board -- I'll remind our participants to stop by, if they haven't found you already!  Your book is at the top of my TBR pile.  I've read the first few chapters, and hope to sit back and relax with it over the weekend.
Thanks. Sorry to say I don't know about the mystery board. What is it, if I'm not being too nosey? (And by the way, apparently there's something about Dog On It on Stephen King's EW summer reading list.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This should take you to the board, specifically to the links where your book was mentioned:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/search?board_id=MysteryGen&submitted=true&q=spencer+quinn 

Author
Spencer_Quinn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

This should take you to the board, specifically to the links where your book was mentioned:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/search?board_id=MysteryGen&submitted=true&q=spencer+quinn 

Thanks for the links. 
And let me take this moment to say how much I've enjoyed being on Center Stage this week. It's great to interact with readers like this. Many thanks to Bethanne and Paul Hochman and everyone else who did all the work. Any readers with more questions can easily find me on Facebook or through Chet's blog. Have a great weekend, everybody. 

New User
ljwrn99
0 Kudos

I lkie the fact that nobody dies. It made the story better