Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Stephanie Laurens, September 28-October 2

As we move from September into October, Stephanie Laurens takes Center Stage to talk about the latest novel in her Cynster series, Temptation and Surrender. However, Stephanie will no doubt have lots of questions and comments about her Bastion Club series, too!

Stephanie Laurens originally began writing as an escape from the dry world of professional science. Her hobby quickly became a career when her novels about the masterful Cynster cousins captivated readers, making her one of the romance world's most beloved and popular authors. She subsequently introduced the equally unforgettable members of the Bastion Club.

Currently living outside Melbourne, Australia with her husband and two cats, she has been writing historical romance novels for more than 20 years and is a New York Times, Publishers Weekly, Wall Street Journal and USA-Today bestseller.

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Stephanie Laurens, September 28-October 2

Hi, guys - yes, I will be here to chat and answer questions from your Monday pm, and throughout this week. Because I live on the other side of the world, literally half the world away, if you post any questions during your day, then I'll be answering them that evening - and you'll find my answers posted and up the next morning. While I'm happy to talk about Tempation and Surrender, the most recent Cynster book in paperback that hits the shelves this week, I figure you'll be even more enthused about The Black Cobra Quartet, with the first book, The Untamed Bride, being released late October. But whichever title tickles your fancy, ask away, and I'll do my best to answer. And yes, the six original Cynster cousins and their wives, Gyles Chillingworth and his Francesca, and all the Bastion Club members and their wives--and most especially Royce and Minerva--appear in the background of the quartet.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

G'day Stephanie! Thanks for your thoughtful post; I know readers will be excited to talk with you about ALL of your books. Let us know if there's anything we can do on the BN.com end to make you "comfy" online.

More quite soon,

Bethanne

0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie! This seems to be my year for Aussie authors -- it was my first year attending RWA National, and I met so many great Australian romance writers, I'm starting to think I need a trip Down Under!

Huge congratulations on your RITA win! I'm so excited to see you here!

Frequent Contributor
Hotpen
0 Kudos

I was just recommend your books from a friend of mine and what a recommendation it was! Will you ever set a series in Australia? I imagine that hot and wild clime would prove a most excellent setting!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie - AnneB here - I'm a big fan of your books. I recently finished Royce's story, but as I got near the end, I started reading slower and sloower and slooower because I didn't want it to end, so I'm really glad to hear that all the "folks" will be a part of the new series. How about Lady Obaldstone - you can't forget her  !!!  I'm sure I'll have more questions as the week goes on - in the meantime, Welcome...

Anne

Author
Stephanie-Laurens
0 Kudos

Hotpen wrote:

I was just recommend your books from a friend of mine and what a recommendation it was! Will you ever set a series in Australia? I imagine that hot and wild clime would prove a most excellent setting!

One of the difficult things about setting a historical work in Australia is first and foremost that it wasn't truly colonized, certainly not by anyone "well-to-do" until the mid-1800s, so well after the Regency period. Prior to that it was...well, convicts. Which isn't terribly romantic, especially not in such harsh settings. On top of that, it was a very unglamorous place until the last quarter of the 1800s, after the gold rush. So I doubt I'll ever attempt a historical set in Australia. A contemporary or paranormal would be a different matter entirely.

Author
Stephanie-Laurens
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

I'm really glad to hear that all the "folks" will be a part of the new series. How about Lady Osbaldstone - you can't forget her  !!! 

I definitely won't forget the wonderful Lady O. She isn't in the Quartet, which will be just the 4 books, but she will reappear in some of the books to follow - the last 5 Cynster girls (Heather, Angelica and Eliza, then Henrietta and Mary), and there's 2 other Barnaby Adair stories (at least) and one stand alone (Neville Roscoe's story) all waiting in the wings to be written and released over the next few years. And who knows? One day I may do Lady O's story, too!

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, Stephanie was kind enough to answer our little Center Stage questionnaire; here are her answers, which are quite interesting and fun:

Center Stage: Tell us about how your new novel fits in with OR stands out from your body of work/previous work. 

Stephanie Laurens: The Black Cobra Quartet, which opens with THE UNTAMED BRIDE in November, both fits in and stands out from my previous works. It fits in because in the background many couples from previous books, both heroes and heroines, get to play active roles, and yet the quartet is a distinct collection of four novels, with a single new and unusual story connecting the four, plus four new heroes and heroines not glimpsed before. In addition, the Black Cobra Quartet commences in India, and the plot calls for the four heroes to leave Bombay and make their way, more or less under attack the entire time from the villain and his forces, to England and the Duke of Wolverstone. We therefore have four Regency road trips/pursuits, but while all end in England, the journeys described are widely different, and cover half the globe. So THE UNTAMED BRIDE and the three following volumes are very much "familiar but different" - something fresh to pique readers' interests and imaginations. 

CS:  What's the most interesting thing a reader has ever asked you? 

SL: Not so much asked me as told me. A few years ago I was touring in the US, and I had a major talk in California to give at the end of it. As part of that talk I'd been wrestling with the concept of what brings a book to life in a reader's mind, and, of course, the answer is: the reader's imagination. While the author first imagines the story, and puts it down in prose, when the reader reads, it's the reader's imagination that interprets the author's words. That may seem obvious, yet it's a point most readers, and indeed authors, never quite realize, or don't realize the implications. It explains why there will always be individual readers who hate a particular book even though thousands of other readers love it. I was trying to think of an illustration of this point, when at a signing a huge fan told me that while she loved all my books, there were 3 specific books that the first time she read them, she simply couldn't get into them, but she picked them up again a year later, and absolutely adored them-all three were "favorites", and one was her "favorite book of all time". The 3 books in question were all released in one calendar year. For some reason, almost certainly some emotional upheaval, during that year her imagination simply wasn't up to the task of reading, at least not reading my style of work that demands a fair commitment of imagination from the reader to visualize all that's on the page. That fan gave me my illustration for my talk a few days later! 

CS: What's the one thing no one has ever asked you that you are dying to make known? 

SL: I had to think really hard to answer this one, because if I wanted to make something known, then I would. But the one question career authors rarely get asked is this: why do you keepwriting? And no, the answer isn't the money, although that's always nice, and it's not the fame - I'd be happy living in total seclusion as long as I had books to read, and a computer to write on. And it's not because I don't have other things to do - I never seem to have enough hours in the day. I keep writing because I have more stories to tell, already lining up in my head, and because, most importantly, I enjoy telling them. I get a huge kick from wrestling a story into shape-wrangling the characters and the plot into line, then tying everything up in a big neat bow. Nothing beats the feeling that yes! you've nailed it. It's the equivalent of an addict's high. 

CS: Whose books would you like to have written if not your own?  

SL: Nora Roberts' books, and not just because she makes a mint. I read avidly, lots of different romance, crime and fantasy authors, and while I admire and appreciate many, every time I read one of Nora's books I am blown away by her sheer storytelling talent. As I've read her works for literally over a decade (possibly two!) I'm very aware of the constant polishing and improving of that talent, and I find it simply awesome. As a storyteller-novelist, I want to be her when I grow up. 

CSIf you weren't a writer, you'd be? 

An architect. Even as a young child, alongside making up stories, I used to dream up, and draw, and in some cases make models of, houses for my characters to live in. I still "design" my characters' houses in my mind - I know exactly what they look like, and where the rooms are - which way you turn if you leave the drawing room to go to the billiard room. If I could link my mind to a screen, I could take people on an imaginary tour. I even imagine the interior designs, the colors, furniture, finishes. 

0 Kudos

Stephanie-Laurens wrote:

Hotpen wrote:

One of the difficult things about setting a historical work in Australia is first and foremost that it wasn't truly colonized, certainly not by anyone "well-to-do" until the mid-1800s, so well after the Regency period. Prior to that it was...well, convicts. Which isn't terribly romantic, especially not in such harsh settings. On top of that, it was a very unglamorous place until the last quarter of the 1800s, after the gold rush. So I doubt I'll ever attempt a historical set in Australia. A contemporary or paranormal would be a different matter entirely.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Although, I could see the basis for a romance centered around the infamous Floating Brothels, couldn't you? Imagine a wrongfully excused convict liberating an indentured prostitute and fleeing into the Australian wilds.

The Floating Brothel

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Hullo, Stephanie!  You gave me a lovely on-camera interview when I was with LifetimeTV.com, and here I  am writing BN.com's new Heart to Heart (H2H) romance blog saying H2H loves you and your novels! 

I'd like to know whether you've plans for continuing your Barnaby Adair series?  It'd be nice to hear more of Adair and Penelope. 

Congrats on your new series!  -- Michelle Buonfiglio (H2H)

Author
Stephanie-Laurens
0 Kudos

Posted by Michelle:

I'd like to know whether you've plans for continuing your Barnaby Adair series?  It'd be nice to hear more of Adair and Penelope. 

Hi, Michelle - lovely to catch up with you again.

Yes, indeed, there are going to be more entries in The Casebook of Barnaby Adair. Four more, at least - they are already in my writing schedule, but are a couple of years away from writing and release. All four of those books will have Adair and Penelope sleuthing, with Stokes and Griselda, too. Each book will also feature a romance, with a hero or heroine who is already familiar to readers, but who has yet to find their other half. I'm looking forward to getting to those books - they'll be fun!

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Stephanie-Laurens wrote: Yes, indeed, there are going to be more entries in The Casebook of Barnaby Adair. Four more, at least... I'm looking forward to getting to those books - they'll be fun!

Thanks, Stephanie! Can't wait!   -- Michelle

Reader 2
lisadh
0 Kudos

Hi, Stephanie!

Long time fan, here.  I'm very much looking forward to the new series.  My question is, as exciting as the Cynsters and their far-flung relations are, have you ever wanted to just ditch the characters and start something new?  (Even the Bastion Club was linked back to Devil.)  You have such the schedule with all the cousins coming up, would that be even possible?!  LOL! 

Favorite book:  On A Wild Night (my first of yours, too)

Least fave:  The Truth About Love (seemed to have a depressing aura that wasn't my style)

Thanks for the memories!

Lisa

Author
Stephanie-Laurens
0 Kudos

lisadh wrote:

My question is, as exciting as the Cynsters and their far-flung relations are, have you ever wanted to just ditch the characters and start something new? 

Hi, Lisa - strangely enough, the Black Cobra Quartet started out as all new, but somehow the others sort of connected up! Must just be the way my mind works. However, I do plan to do something new once I finish off the outstanding volumes that are - as you note - lined up waiting to be written in front of me. The thing is...that new stuff won't be historical romance. Not quite sure what it will be yet - I have literally a dozen stories waiting in my head. But whatever it is, it will be very different. That said, the dfifferent stuff is at least 3 years' worth of books away.

Thanks for dropping by.  SL.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Stephanie-Laurens, I love you books. I have read about all your books for years. I have all the Bastian Club books and most of the Cynster books.

I love the stories and the characters. You make them come alive for me. I am glad to see a new series coming.

I started Mastered by love. I am loving it. I am glad that Royce got his lady. He deserved one.

You have a great talent for telling a great story. I look forward to reading your books for many years to come.

ReadingPatti