Reader 2
LouisaEdwards
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Just dropping in to say 'hi' to Suz and chime in with my favorite couples! My top couple has to be Jules and Robin--I think I've read their wedding story in All Through the Night at least six times. I also love Sam and Alyssa more than life, so having those two couples be so interconnected really makes me happy! I love that the characters go on and continue to have lives that we get to read about as the series progresses. So many series books tend to drop the characters who've already had their "happily ever after", or only allow them to make cameos. One of my favorite elements of the Troubleshooters books is the way our favorite couples continue to show up and play important roles in the ongoing storyline.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michelle - Thanks for stopping by! Michelle writes B&N's new Heart 2 Heart blog every day, and if you check it out you can read about Michelle's visit with Suzanne at the Romance Writers Association conference in Washington, DC a few weeks ago. (There's a link to it on Michelle's comment.)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Galinda - Don't worry, this isn't the last of the Troubleshooters. There's at least one more book coming, but I'll let Suzanne talk about that.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

LouisaEdwards wrote:
Just dropping in to say 'hi' to Suz and chime in with my favorite couples! My top couple has to be Jules and Robin--I think I've read their wedding story in All Through the Night at least six times. I also love Sam and Alyssa more than life, so having those two couples be so interconnected really makes me happy! I love that the characters go on and continue to have lives that we get to read about as the series progresses. So many series books tend to drop the characters who've already had their "happily ever after", or only allow them to make cameos. One of my favorite elements of the Troubleshooters books is the way our favorite couples continue to show up and play important roles in the ongoing storyline.
I agree -- I think the fact that we continue to read about these couples makes their "happy endings" so real. We know that they have a life beyond the book that features each couple, and that their lives aren't always rosy or particularly smooth. I think that's reassuring, especially since so many people who read these books are dealing with bumpy roads in their own lives. It makes us connect with Suzanne's characters even more. 

Reader 2
LouisaEdwards
0 Kudos

I agree -- I think the fact that we continue to read about these couples makes their "happy endings" so real. We know that they have a life beyond the book that features each couple, and that their lives aren't always rosy or particularly smooth. I think that's reassuring, especially since so many people who read these books are dealing with bumpy roads in their own lives. It makes us connect with Suzanne's characters even more.

becke_davis wrote:

LouisaEdwards wrote:

Exactly! For instance, it's weird to say, but I actually loved it that Kelly and Tom had trouble about getting married so far down the road from their "happy ending". 

New User
balloon
0 Kudos

1 How tall is Jules 2 Like everyone hope for a next book
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Isn't Jules supposed to be lithe and muscular but somewhat compact? I have a clear mental image of him in my head.

Do the rest of you ever mentally cast Suzanne's books? If any of the books were made into movies, who would you pick to play the heroes and heroines? 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone!

It's Monday, it's lunchtime, and I've finally found my computer in the rubble of my office (I'm packing everything up because painters are coming in and they can't just paint around the edges of my massive bookselves).

Whew.  I'm happy to be here, happy to have a FABULOUS reason to be sitting down!

I'm going to be popping in here from today until Friday -- a few times during the day and once in the evening, too -- to answer your questions as best I can!

A warning, though -- I'm one of those authors who doesn't like to talk about upcoming books, sometimes to the point of not even wanting to reveal the names of the main characters!  

But I've already announced that the next Troubleshooters book is going to be Izzy's, as well as the fact that it's going to be the final book in the series for a while.  I'll talk a little bit more about that this week, as we chat!

Becke, I wonder if you can copy some of my answers and repost them as FAQ posts -- so that people who drop by can quickly find the answers to some of those often-asked questions?  Maybe put FAQ in the subject header?  (And thank you, to Becke for being our moderator this week!  I had the pleasure of meeting her during RWA this past summer.  And you know how when you meet someone, and you get this instant "sister from another mother" vibe?  Well, Becke and I are cosmically related that way.  So I'm super glad she's here!)

Okay, let's get this show going!

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Suzanne, How wonderful that you're here to talk to us mere mortals. You are definitely a Goddess in my book. You have a wonderful imagination a boat load of unforgettable characters, some whopping bad guys and romances that are untouchable. I have read everything you've written from all you Troubleshooters to your early pieces that Harlequin has re-issued to your Navy Seals series. I just wanted to bow to your greatness and say thank you for all your wonderful stories.

A true fan. 

Hi, Debbie!

Nice to see you here!  

Hmm, I have a Pope-wave and a Queen-wave, but I haven't got a goddess-wave.  I better work on that!

Seriously, I'm honored that you think so highly of my books!  

Sending you a virtual fist-bump,

Suz

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Ooh, yes, OTHERWISE ENGAGED just came out, reissued by Bantam Books.

This is the third book in my rom com trilogy set in fictional Sunrise Key, on Florida's West Coast.  

A heads up to everyone who knows (or knows of!) my son Jason, but I wrote this book when he was maybe ten, and I modeled the heroine, Molly Cassidy's son Zander after Jace.  

Jason is hearing impaired, too (but his hearing loss isn't getting progressively worse).  

(Oh, and Molly and Zander Cassidy were pre-Jules.  No relation, but proof that I love that name.  Shades of Butch and Sundance...)

Anyway, when the book came out, Jason wanted to read it because he was "in" it, so I stapled together all of the pages with sex scenes so he couldn't read those, and gave it to him!  

He was quite disgusted with me.  I don't think he's ever read the book.

(P.S.  Jason is also the model for the little boy in LADIES' MAN.  He was quite the funny kid.)

(He's currently a professional actor living in NYC.  He's a kick-ass tap dancer -- one of the reasons he's so good is due to his hearing loss.  In order for him to hear the sounds, he's got to make them extra clear and crisp.  He's amazing -- THE most major tap director and choreographer in NYC just requested that Jace take his workshops. )

(okay, proud mom much!?)

-- Suz

Contributor
AnthonysMom
0 Kudos

Hi there!

First, I wanted to let you  know that I loved HP. It was a little different then the usual TS books, but awesome as usual.

My questions:

1) Do you have a timeline as to when you will start writing the new TB book #16 ?

2) Did Teri and Stan have their baby?

My comments:

It broke my heart to see how sad Izzy was in the book. You know how he is always breaking into a song? Everytime I read his POV parts, the song Broken popped into my head. That is the song the plays for the movie trailor The Time Travelers Wife. It seems to fit him and Eden.

I also liked reading Danny's POV. He seems a little broken himself. No wonder Eden is so screwed up. They both had a terrible childhood. I liked Eden and Izzy together because they brought out the best in each other. izzy truly became her hero and I think Eden feels horrible that she disappointed him by lying. Now Maria? I don't like her.

Thanks for the great books

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: our movie JOLLY!

To make it a little easier, here's the Youtube link to our preview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtbkjzllOBE 

We made this extremely low budget movie in Sarasota last November -- filmed in 17 days.

It stars my buddy Eric Ruben (www.EricRuben.com) and my talented son Jason Gaffney (www.JasonGaffney.com) and was co-written by my husband Ed and me.  (Ed also directed and edited!)  The music was arranged and performed by Jack Gravina, my extremely talented nephew!  

The movie also stars Leslie Woodies (who appeared as Cassie in A CHORUS LINE on Broadway), Apolonia Davalos, Dan Bolton, and Sylvia Batey.  (We had a fabulous cast!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:
Hi, Becke! Can't wait for this event.  Suz islucky to have you moderating and 'hostessing' for her.  oh, I was on at-home "staycation" a couple weeks ago, and caught up on long-overdue Suz reading.  Finally got to "Kiss and Tell" (love it, love the Brit ex pat hero) and Body Guard, which everyone raves about and I totally agree is fab. 

Looking forward to the week w/you and Suz!  -- Michelle Buonfiglio, Heart to Heart, BN.com's NEW all-romance blog.

Hi, Michelle B.!

Nice to see you here!  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I hope you've had time to recover from the wild Barnes & Noble Facebook event last week. I also saw Jason's pictures of your booksigning at the Barnes & Noble in Framingham, MA, and it was PACKED! I love it when my favorite authors reach celebrity status!
Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-02-2009 02:03 PM

I have had time, thanks!  It was fun.  I was the BN facebook teams beta tester for their event page!  

If/when I do it again, I'm going start by answering the questions that are posted right at the event start time, and then, if there's time, go back and answer the questions asked that were posted earlier.

One of the things I love best about facebook is the "right now" feel to it, but I was constantly anwering questions that were posted two hours earlier.  Ack!  I kept trying to catch up, but it was a losing battle!    

But it was fun.  And addictive.  It was hard to leave, so I didn't!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

<<<Reading the Author's Notes I thought I was going to hyperventilate when I read "final TS book" as I continued to read "at least for a little while" I was able to breathe again.  From my point of view even after you write the books of all of the characters that haven't told their stories, I would love reading stories of the characters continued lives.  Like Stan and Terry the birth of their 1st child etc.

Murano,

Sorry to frighten you!  I have every intention of returning to the Troubleshooters series.  I don't think I'll be able to go for very long without writing a book that includes Jules and Robin!

And I love being able to throw in updates about characters like Stan and Teri.   (It was fun writing that Izzy/Stan scene in INTO THE FIRE!)

-- Suz

New User
balloon
0 Kudos

I try nto picture all the characters in my head but can Suz give us an idea
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:
hi suz!!  i know i'm early but i was re-reading hot pursuit and was thinking about how you're thinking of putting out an anthology of all the ts short stories you've written and some new ones, and my question is will one of the new stories potentially be about a cookout/bbq and a certain tadpole's significant other meeting the team??  anyway thanks for all the great reads and please don't be on hiatus from ts for very long.

Hey, Aza_T!

I'm not sure yet how many new short stories I'll be writing or which characters I'll revisit.  And who knows -- you might be seeing more of Tony in a future book!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

balloon wrote:
I have just finished Hot Pusuit  and loved it.. I find Dam to be caring all the while letting her do her own thing without crowding her. I liked Dan story also. Looking forward to hearing more about it.Thiis is my first time and am not sure where to send questioms to Ms Brockman. I they do not belong here please let me know so I can get them answered. 1 How tall is Jules and love his character as well as Robin. 2 Another book for next summer or earlier 3 What happens to Decker and Tracy 3 I only get the recorded version and only Micheal plays a good Sam and why cant the woman play the female parts and the male parts. Please let me know how to proceed

Hey, balloon, you're totally in the right place for asking questions. 

Let's see -- 1)  Jules is pretty short  and I'm glad you love him and Robin, too.

2)  Next summer will see the release of GALLAGHER'S CLAIM, a paperback original, stand alone.

3) I've gotten such a strong response to the Tracy/Decker pairing!  I know a lot of readers would like to see more of them!

4)  Ah, so you're an audiobook listener!  I happen to love both Michael Holland (who reads ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT) and Patrick Lawlor who reads the other books in the series with  either Melanie Eubanks or Renee Raudman.  All four of them are excellent narrators.  I think it's just a subjective taste thing -- I really love the male/female narrators.

A cool note:  Michael Holland has always been "the voice of Jules" for me.  He's a singer/songwriter living in NYC and I was so jazzed when he agreed to narrate the audiobook.  

And... I also realized when I first wrote from Izzy's point of view, that I was writing him for Patrick to read.  Patrick's got EXACTLY the right sense of humor to read Izzy -- he gets the candence of Izzy's language perfectly.  It's always a treat to hear him ready Izzy's scenes!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Galinda19 wrote:

Hi Suzanne!

I loved reading Hot Pursuit!  Dan Gillman got on my bad side with his behavior in ITF, but I like him a lot more after reading HP.  And it was wonderful to visit with Alyssa, Sam, Jules & Robin again.  I can never get enough of these characters! 

I have 2 questions about your notes at the end of the book.  Naturally I was horrified to hear that your next book will be the last TS for awhile.  I was wondering if you are going to be working on another project, or will you be taking a break from writting completely.  If you are going to be working on something else, can you tell us anything about it?

I also wanted to know if you have any time frame for returning to the TS characters.  I'm not asking you to give us an exact date, I just want to know if you will absolutely be returning to TS, or is this a maybe, maybe not return.

Whatever you do next, I trust you completely & will follow you wherever your writting takes me.

Hey, Galinda!

Good question -- one I'm happy to clear up!  (I know there's been a lot of speculation over this!)

(And Becke, Galinda's definitely asked an FAQ here with this one!)

Here's my plan for the immediate future:

Next book is GALLAGHER'S CLAIM, which will come out as a paperback original next summer.  I'm doing a massive rewrite of a manuscript that I wrote years ago, but never managed to sell.  Mostly because no one knew how to market it.  That, and the heroine was pretty weak.  So I'm completely overhauling the heroine (giving her a too-stupid-to-live-ectomy) and revising the entire contemporary romance part of the story, which is set on an on-location movie set in Arizona, and also up in Alaska.  There's a major romantic subplot that set in 1898 in the American West (the subplot is also the plot of the movie that's being made -- shades of HEART THROB.  And there's also a character who bridges both the historical and contemporary story who happens to be the hero's great-grandfather's ghost.  So.  Contemporary suspense, western historical with a paranormal element -- twelve years ago, when I first wrote the book, no one knew what to do with it!   So it sat on my shelf for years and year.

But it's one of those stories that I've always loved, and I'm really looking forward to giving it an overhaul and putting it into readers' hands.  (That's what I'll be working on immediately after this week is over.  I'm heading to FLA, where I get most of my writing done!)

After I finish that rewrite (which hopefully won't take me too long!) I'll be sitting down and writing Izzy's book -- Troubleshooters installment # 16.  

16 seemed like the perfect number to take a break (SEAL Team 16, you know...) from this series.

So after I write Izzy's book, I'm going to begin work on a contemporary romantic suspense trilogy.  I'm purposely going to contain my tendencies to write open ended series, and create a three-book story arc for this one.  (Leaving open the possibility for another story arc to continue that trilogy.)

Somewhere in the course of writing those three books (with fresh, new characters), I'll be compiling the TS series short story anthology.  We're going to put all of the TS short stories I've written for various Extras booklets into one book, plus I'll be writing three, four, five, six, (???) new stories as well.  (One thing I want to do is to revisit Jack and Arlene -- Maggie's mom -- Maggie from ATTN...)

I'm also planning to return to the TS series, but I'm not sure if I'll do that in the middle of the trilogy or right after it).  Gotta write Jay Lopez's book.  And Martell's.  And Jazz's.  And the new CO, Lew Koehl's...

So I'm not taking a break from writing -- I'm just going to be writing something different.

I will be taking a short vacation in Feb./March 2010, in order to direct a stage play that I co-wrote with my husband Ed.  It's a comedy in two acts with dance, and it's called LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES.  It's going to run for 10 and a half weeks in NYC, at an off-Broadway theater complex called Theater Row (42nd St. & 9th Ave.).  That projects going to be a change of pace, too.  Ed and I (and the dogs!) are going to live in Manhattan for the three month duration (the shows going to open in early March and run through May 23, 2010.  We'll be attending the show each night (it's going to run Tuesdays through Sundays, 7 shows a week, two shows on Saturdays), but I'll have time during the day to write, too.   I'm really excited about the whole project! 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi everyone and HAPPY MONDAY!

Hi Suz,

well Becke asked earlier to another poster who their favorite Troubleshooters couple is.

Mine is Max and Gina followed by Sam and Alyssa followed by Jules and Robin. Right now I'm hoping to find out more about Izzy because right now he's the one I'm loving to hate, so we'll see how our resident author here spiffs him up and matures him.

Who is every one elses fav couple, I'm dying to hear.

Thanks Suz for stopping by and it was great chatting with you on facebook the other week. 

Hey, Debbie!

Everyone's favorites are different -- and that's great!  (Diversity!  yay!)

Although using the words "Izzy" and "mature" in the same sentence...???  I don't know about that!