Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bbaugh
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

My favorite couple are Wildcard (Kenny) and Savannah followed by Molly and Dave. Maybe because Out Of Control was the first TS book I read.  Then I went back to the first TUH and have read every one of the rest as fast as I could get my hands on them. But my FAVORITE  character from all the books is Cosmo. I absolutely love everything about him. Does anybody else have a favorite character that is not the same as their favorite couple or book?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

Hello, everyone!

It's Monday, it's lunchtime, and I've finally found my computer in the rubble of my office (I'm packing everything up because painters are coming in and they can't just paint around the edges of my massive bookselves).

Whew.  I'm happy to be here, happy to have a FABULOUS reason to be sitting down!

I'm going to be popping in here from today until Friday -- a few times during the day and once in the evening, too -- to answer your questions as best I can!

A warning, though -- I'm one of those authors who doesn't like to talk about upcoming books, sometimes to the point of not even wanting to reveal the names of the main characters!  

But I've already announced that the next Troubleshooters book is going to be Izzy's, as well as the fact that it's going to be the final book in the series for a while.  I'll talk a little bit more about that this week, as we chat!

Becke, I wonder if you can copy some of my answers and repost them as FAQ posts -- so that people who drop by can quickly find the answers to some of those often-asked questions?  Maybe put FAQ in the subject header?  (And thank you, to Becke for being our moderator this week!  I had the pleasure of meeting her during RWA this past summer.  And you know how when you meet someone, and you get this instant "sister from another mother" vibe?  Well, Becke and I are cosmically related that way.  So I'm super glad she's here!)

Okay, let's get this show going!

That's a great idea, Suzanne. I'll check with B&N and see if I should put the FAQ thread here or on the Mystery or Romance book club boards, where they will be available long after your Center Stage visit. Let me know if there were posts from your Facebook visit you'd like included, too.
 I'm blushing from your comments, but I agree, we did connect on a LOT of levels. No surprise, since I love everything about your books, and they reveal a lot about you! It's so nice to meet an author who is so accessible to her fans, and so un-diva-ish, if there is such a word!
I'll be back in a sec -- going to check about the FAQ thread. 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

LouisaEdwards wrote:
Just dropping in to say 'hi' to Suz and chime in with my favorite couples! My top couple has to be Jules and Robin--I think I've read their wedding story in All Through the Night at least six times. I also love Sam and Alyssa more than life, so having those two couples be so interconnected really makes me happy! I love that the characters go on and continue to have lives that we get to read about as the series progresses. So many series books tend to drop the characters who've already had their "happily ever after", or only allow them to make cameos. One of my favorite elements of the Troubleshooters books is the way our favorite couples continue to show up and play important roles in the ongoing storyline.

Hi, Louisa!

Great to see you here!  Thank you for  your kind words!

Louisa's got a book coming out this fall called CAN'T STAND THE HEAT (I suck at remembering titles, did I get it right???  Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

It's actually kind of cool, her book features a hero who's a chef, and I have a reissue of my Bantan Loveswept called STAND-IN GROOM which featuers a hero who's a chef that's coming out right at the same time!  I'm thinking it's the perfect "double feature" for readers who like something a little different in their heroes.

I don't just suck at remembering titles, I also am challenged when it comes to remembering dates, but I think it's out in... November?  Louisa, fill in the good people -- and post a link to your website.  Don't be shy.  

Louisa's also got another element in her book that many of you will be interested it -- it's got a romantic subplot with a hero and a hero.  

I'm really psyched to read it -- her ARCs on my TBR pile as I write this!  (Oh, to have just a few more hours in a day!!!!)

-- Suz

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

LouisaEdwards wrote:
Just dropping in to say 'hi' to Suz and chime in with my favorite couples! My top couple has to be Jules and Robin--I think I've read their wedding story in All Through the Night at least six times. I also love Sam and Alyssa more than life, so having those two couples be so interconnected really makes me happy! I love that the characters go on and continue to have lives that we get to read about as the series progresses. So many series books tend to drop the characters who've already had their "happily ever after", or only allow them to make cameos. One of my favorite elements of the Troubleshooters books is the way our favorite couples continue to show up and play important roles in the ongoing storyline.
I agree -- I think the fact that we continue to read about these couples makes their "happy endings" so real. We know that they have a life beyond the book that features each couple, and that their lives aren't always rosy or particularly smooth. I think that's reassuring, especially since so many people who read these books are dealing with bumpy roads in their own lives. It makes us connect with Suzanne's characters even more. 

Having been married, myself, for twenty-five years, whenever I hear the phrase "and they lived happily ever after," I have to laugh.  Like it's a walk in the park, a piece of cake.  

For me, the interesting part of the story is just beginning.  

I love watching characters who really click together.  Like Tammy and the coach in FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.  Awesome characters, truly well done.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

Ooh, yes, OTHERWISE ENGAGED just came out, reissued by Bantam Books.

This is the third book in my rom com trilogy set in fictional Sunrise Key, on Florida's West Coast.  

A heads up to everyone who knows (or knows of!) my son Jason, but I wrote this book when he was maybe ten, and I modeled the heroine, Molly Cassidy's son Zander after Jace.  

Jason is hearing impaired, too (but his hearing loss isn't getting progressively worse).  

(Oh, and Molly and Zander Cassidy were pre-Jules.  No relation, but proof that I love that name.  Shades of Butch and Sundance...)

Anyway, when the book came out, Jason wanted to read it because he was "in" it, so I stapled together all of the pages with sex scenes so he couldn't read those, and gave it to him!  

He was quite disgusted with me.  I don't think he's ever read the book.

(P.S.  Jason is also the model for the little boy in LADIES' MAN.  He was quite the funny kid.)

(He's currently a professional actor living in NYC.  He's a kick-ass tap dancer -- one of the reasons he's so good is due to his hearing loss.  In order for him to hear the sounds, he's got to make them extra clear and crisp.  He's amazing -- THE most major tap director and choreographer in NYC just requested that Jace take his workshops. )

(okay, proud mom much!?)

-- Suz

See, more in common. I didn't realize Jason was hearing impaired. My brother was born with a cleft palate, which left him open to infection until he was old enough for the plastic surgery to correct it. He had so many ear infections, calcium built up around his ear drum. No one realized it for years - we thought he was a little spacey, but it turned out he just couldn't hear in one ear. When he had the surgery to correct it, his eardrum was so messed up it took an eight hour surgery to fix it. Scary! His hearing is almost perfect now. I hope Jason has been able to take advantage of the new surgeries and hearing aids, too. (Both of my parents were deaf in one ear while I was growing up, too, but my dad's was later fixed.) I don't blame you for being a proud mom - I love hearing your Jason stories!
 I'm still laughing at the stapled pages. Did you do that for your parents, too? 

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Suz,

You swear you're coming back to TS. You swear you won't leave us hanging about Jay, and Jazz and Commander Jawline. You swear this won't become TDD all over again. So here's what you can do to make us really, really believe you- take the Oath of Whedon (what? You've never heard of it?) Swear on your love for all things Joss, and even possibly his life, that you will not abandon TS.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

AnthonysMom wrote:

Hi there!

First, I wanted to let you  know that I loved HP. It was a little different then the usual TS books, but awesome as usual.

My questions:

1) Do you have a timeline as to when you will start writing the new TB book #16 ?

2) Did Teri and Stan have their baby?

My comments:

It broke my heart to see how sad Izzy was in the book. You know how he is always breaking into a song? Everytime I read his POV parts, the song Broken popped into my head. That is the song the plays for the movie trailor The Time Travelers Wife. It seems to fit him and Eden.

I also liked reading Danny's POV. He seems a little broken himself. No wonder Eden is so screwed up. They both had a terrible childhood. I liked Eden and Izzy together because they brought out the best in each other. izzy truly became her hero and I think Eden feels horrible that she disappointed him by lying. Now Maria? I don't like her.

Thanks for the great books

Howdy, Anthony's Mom!

I'm glad you enjoyed HOT PURSUIT!

1) I'll probably start writing Izzy's book sometime in the early fall.  (See my long answer above!)

2)  Teri and Stan's baby...  Hmm, I can't remember how pregnant Teri was in INTO THE FIRE.  Of course DON takes place relatively soon after ITF, and HP takes place just a few months after DON...  I have to confess that I haven't done the math, because I knew that Teri and Stan weren't going to play a part in HOT PURSUIT.  (There are so many characters in this series, that I only focus on the ones who are in the current book.)  The next time they show up, I'll go back and see where I left 'em and figure out what they've been doing during all that time that they've been "off screen," so to speak!

And yeah, I hear you re: Izzy.  And Dan, too.

HP was the first book where we get inside of Danny's head.  Kinda messy in there, huh?  We'll see if his fortune comes true, or if he's smart enough to figure things out before he messes up his chances with Jenn...

And again -- Maria.  We never do get inside of her head to find out what she's really thinking...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

Suz,

You swear you're coming back to TS. You swear you won't leave us hanging about Jay, and Jazz and Commander Jawline. You swear this won't become TDD all over again. So here's what you can do to make us really, really believe you- take the Oath of Whedon (what? You've never heard of it?) Swear on your love for all things Joss, and even possibly his life, that you will not abandon TS.

Yikes - the Oath of Whedon? I don't think Suzanne needs to swear not to abandon TS. I'm sure she loves those characters as much as we do, since she gave birth to them. Can you imagine how they'd nag at her if she stopped writing their stories? It would be like that movie Stranger than Fiction, with Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson. (**Twilight Zone theme plays**)

New User
amylynnTX
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne,

Just finished HP over the weekend and LOVED it. Still not sure about Dan...and I am not sure what it says about me that Izzy makes perfect sense to me! Can't wait for his book! Started my reread of the series till I make it back to HP to try and catch all the little tidbits I missed the first time. Although I suspect it will take several rereads. Looking forward to all your future books!!!! I also want to thank you for your virtual signings. It is the only way I can get a sign copy.

Thanks for the great books!!!

Amy

P.S. Hope your move goes well...Everytime I move or help someone move it rains. Don't know why but it always seems to work out that way.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

amylynnTX wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

Just finished HP over the weekend and LOVED it. Still not sure about Dan...and I am not sure what it says about me that Izzy makes perfect sense to me! Can't wait for his book! Started my reread of the series till I make it back to HP to try and catch all the little tidbits I missed the first time. Although I suspect it will take several rereads. Looking forward to all your future books!!!! I also want to thank you for your virtual signings. It is the only way I can get a sign copy.

Thanks for the great books!!!

Amy

P.S. Hope your move goes well...Everytime I move or help someone move it rains. Don't know why but it always seems to work out that way.

Oh, amylynn, I'm so glad you said that about Izzy. I thought it was just me! I've been eager to read more about him ever since he was first introduced!

Contributor
AnthonysMom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response!

Re: Maria

I guess you are right, we did not get to see what she is really thinking. But, he is married and off limits. I guess I got mad at her so to speak because she was hitting on him, lol.

Re: Danny and Jenn

I hope Danny realizes what a catch Jennilyn (LOVE the name, btw) is. I loved Jenn. I loved that Danny was attracted to Jenn. Can't wait to read more....

Re: Izzy

I like how you are peeling the layers off of his character slowly. I would love to hear more about his childhood and how he operates as a SEAL. What is his speciality? Like Jenk is the gifted liar/radio guy (lol), Duke is a sniper, Jay, corpsman, etc... I remember in ITF it was said he wasn't known as a marksman in the teams so that got me curious.

Oh, how is Cosmo these days? I miss him.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, thanks for asking that, Anthonysmom -- I miss Cosmo, too!

I just got Suzanne's email newsletter, and thought this might be of interest:

Cool interview: Done with Bookpage, a publication that you can

find in libraries and bookstores. I did their "Meet the author"
section. They sent me the interview questions and I answered them by
hand! Yikes! See just how insane I truly am by the hideousity of my
penmenship! (Or lack thereof...) Here's the URL to see it with your
very own eyes. http://www.bookpage.com/books.php?id=10012145

Also, I mentioned this on the FAQ page, but since it's in the newsletter, I'll post it again:

Last Wednesday I had the honor of being B&N's first even facebook

page author event! It was crazy, I was there, online, all day! The
entire event's been archived -- facebook members can see it at
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=9969&uid=9122810019(Facebook
is easy and free to join. If you do join, be sure to "friend" me! I'll
friend you back!

Suzanne also adds:

A huge thanks to everyone who participated in my MassEquality

fundraiser! I gave away slightly more than 25 copies each of GET LUCKY
and IDENTITY UNKNOWN and we raised $2710 for MassEquality. (Find out
more at www.massequality.org ) I'll definitely do this again in the
future, maybe with a different hard-to-find title! (It's not going to
happen soon, but when it does, I'll announce it here in my email
newsletter!)

Okay that's all the news for now!

As usual, thank you for your support!

To sign up for my email newsletter, visit my website at
http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/mailing_list.htm
Contributor
Aza_T
0 Kudos

suz - thanks for the answer.  now i have another question that i thought of last night while in bed.... when you wrote the short story "when jenk, izzy, gillman, and lopez met tony vlachic" did you know at that point in time tony was gay?

aza

Contributor
Aza_T
0 Kudos

re: maria.  i think she is going to be hp's dr. jo.  i didn't like jo at all in itf, but she sort of redeemed herself to me in don. so we'll have to see about maria, but i didn't like her really at all myself.

aza

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:

re: maria.  i think she is going to be hp's dr. jo.  i didn't like jo at all in itf, but she sort of redeemed herself to me in don. so we'll have to see about maria, but i didn't like her really at all myself.

aza

I think it's interesting the way Suzanne can make us dislike a character at first, then she makes them sympathetic later. It's like in the books with the Sam-Mary Lou-Alyssa arc. Initially, I really couldn't stand Mary Lou, but later I felt sad for her.

Contributor
Aza_T
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:

aza

I think it's interesting the way Suzanne can make us dislike a character at first, then she makes them sympathetic later. It's like in the books with the Sam-Mary Lou-Alyssa arc. Initially, I really couldn't stand Mary Lou, but later I felt sad for her.

becke - i think that is exactly it.  i too wasn't very fond of mary-lou but at the end of gtf you have a better understanding of her and don't dislike her as much.  dr. jo will be interesting if she comes back, she's still not fully redeemed to me but she's not the devil like she was either.  maria we'll have to find out... all i know is suz will defineately make it interesting.

aza

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Aza_T wrote:

aza

Exactly,
She's always making me change my mind about a character. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

She can also have me completely convinced that two people are made for each other, and then over the course of a few books I realize that, no, they would never have worked out. And then she brings in the REAL person who can bring them happiness, and she convinces me this was the right match all along!
New User
pegmit
0 Kudos

Maria in Hot Pursuit

I found Maria quite intriguing.  Will we see more of her?  People seem to be viewing her with ambivalence.  Is that as you intended?  She seemed like a real person to me.
Contributor
AnthonysMom
0 Kudos

You are so right Becke.

I was convinced that Sophia and Decker were made for each other and when she paired her up with Dave? It soo worked for me. I also thought Izzy was going to be with Tracy. Then she paired her with Decker. I loved it!

I admit I always felt a little sorry for Mary Lou. She always seemed to be seraching for something and Sam was not it. I was happy that she got a HEA.