becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Geez, I walk away from the computer (to watch a really bad movie - gag) and I come back to find you all having wild parties with cabana boys and -- what? You did WHAT to Sam Starrett? Well, for Pete's sake -- someone get the poor man his clothes before Suzanne gets back! And you do NOT want to tick off Alyssa!

I was going to head up to bed, but, I don't know -- what will I find here in the morning? Monkeys swinging from chandeliers? Elephants in the swimming pool? SEALs in the bedroom?

Oh, wait -- we're talking about the TROUBESHOOTERS! No worries -- they can handle you lot. 

Contributor
TraceyW
0 Kudos

Hi West,

Just wanted to say Hi, and hope you remember me from the SBBB.  Its a shame that with the end of the BB we have scattered to the winds.  Hope all is going well in your life.  Not sure if you read but have no fear as we will get a Jazz story!  It might not be Thomas King but I am still a happy girl!

Best wishes to you,

Tracey Watson (allfab from the SBBB)

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Guys - Anne B here - I'm just reading the comments since I left last night - I'm in on the begging.........

becke_davis - Is there another place (blog/BB) that all of us "Suz-actics" (that doesn't quite roll off the tongue the way I wanted - SB-fanatics???) can get together in- between books? I haven't found any since the BB closed.

Suz - How was Battlestar? I finished Otherwise Engaged last night - do you find that you kind of use parts of characters from your older books in your newer ones? I also loved your "nubnut/s" story.

I'm just rereading this post - sorry about all the different tangents......Anne B

New User
paintergirl70
0 Kudos

Hi Suz,

I loved Hot Pursuit. I wanted to know if Jazz is going to get his own HEA any time soon. His character is so dark and gorgeous, that his story just reeks of something mysterious. Can't wait for the next book.

Kelsey

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
She can also have me completely convinced that two people are made for each other, and then over the course of a few books I realize that, no, they would never have worked out. And then she brings in the REAL person who can bring them happiness, and she convinces me this was the right match all along!
How true Becke, yet when I read Sophie and Deck and Dave etc.. stories I think how could they ever have been happy. What a tale she weaves.

Contributor
TraceyW
0 Kudos

So after I write Izzy's book, I'm going to begin work on a contemporary romantic suspense trilogy.  I'm purposely going to contain my tendencies to write open ended series, and create a three-book story arc for this one.  (Leaving open the possibility for another story arc to continue that trilogy.)

Somewhere in the course of writing those three books (with fresh, new characters), I'll be compiling the TS series short story anthology.  We're going to put all of the TS short stories I've written for various Extras booklets into one book, plus I'll be writing three, four, five, six, (???) new stories as well.  (One thing I want to do is to revisit Jack and Arlene -- Maggie's mom -- Maggie from ATTN...)

I'm also planning to return to the TS series, but I'm not sure if I'll do that in the middle of the trilogy or right after it).  Gotta write Jay Lopez's book.  And Martell's.  And Jazz's.  And the new CO, Lew Koehl's...

So I'm not taking a break from writing -- I'm just going to be writing something different.

I will be taking a short vacation in Feb./March 2010, in order to direct a stage play that I co-wrote with my husband Ed.  It's a comedy in two acts with dance, and it's called LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES.  It's going to run for 10 and a half weeks in NYC, at an off-Broadway theater complex called Theater Row (42nd St. & 9th Ave.).  That projects going to be a change of pace, too.  Ed and I (and the dogs!) are going to live in Manhattan for the three month duration (the shows going to open in early March and run through May 23, 2010.  We'll be attending the show each night (it's going to run Tuesdays through Sundays, 7 shows a week, two shows on Saturdays), but I'll have time during the day to write, too.   I'm really excited about the whole project! 

Yes Virginia There Really Is a Santa Clause!  Suzanne I am so happy to read, in your own words, that you are continuing to write.  I love your books and look forward to enjoying your future writing adventures. 

Anyway, I just wanted to get in on the fave couple discussion.  I remember what you said on Facebook about it being your mini personality quiz and I think what you will find is that I am an indecisive person that is easily swayed!  Basically every book that I read is my fave couple at the time.  I guess if I really pushed it, it would be Max & Gina, but seriously I love all your characters.

As for your characters.  I really have not found a character that I disliked.  Maybe because I read Sam & Alysses?sp? book first I didn't have a problem with Marylou and was happy that she found her own hea.  When I went back and read the other books I just kept remembering that they all found their hea and that they had grown as people.  Actually, one scene that really touched me was when she went over to Kelly's house and felt so lonely and left out.  Really well told IMO.  Also, Izzy?  Love him, especially in ITS, but I don't see him as this guy that desperately needs to grow up.  I see him as a man which means he does dumb things sometimes:smileyhappy:  And Danny.  I don't have a problem with him.  I have been waiting to hear his story and see what is really going on.  I remember another poster commenting once that if Eden was messed up it stood to reason that Danny would be too.  While we might want to imagine the big brother protecting the little siblings I don't think that happens all that often.  I mean there is always talk about how much longer it takes guys to grow up in comparison to girls. 

As for a movie/tv deal.  Well, for my husbands sake (he is not a reader) I would love you to have a tv series about TS, but for my own sake I would prefer to keep reading your wonderful books.  I think that I have defined these characters so clearly in my own mind that I would have trouble enjoying anyone elses interpretation.  I am definitely an either/or person which means that if I have seen the movie I don't read the book and vice verse.  Hmmm, I should add that I would love to watch a tv series of yours that was not about TS as it would be new and not coloured by my own interpretation.

Finally, I just wanted to laugh.....numbnut....too funny and so very awful for you.....hard to imagine that after all these years and all the books you have written and your editor? has done this too you.  Still it is one for the books and there is nothing like having friends and family to make you see the humour in it!

Best of luck with the move, the play, and the upcoming books.  I look forward to receiving HP in the next couple of days!

Regards,

Tracey

PS. Sorry such a long post.

Contributor
shazy131
0 Kudos

Hi Suz - In the TS guide you published with ITS you interviewed Ken and Van, and they announced that Van was going to run for Congress. What happened? When bits and pieces of HP came out at first I thought it was Van that was running for office. I still chuckle over the thought of Ken being the "First Man". 

I also have to say that I read the authors note before the book and I was heartborken to see "final TS". I'm so glad you will be returning to the series, and I am looking forward to the non-TS books. I love your writing style, especially the thoughts that go through the characters' heads.

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

TraceyW wrote:

Hi West,

Just wanted to say Hi, and hope you remember me from the SBBB.  Its a shame that with the end of the BB we have scattered to the winds.  Hope all is going well in your life.  Not sure if you read but have no fear as we will get a Jazz story!  It might not be Thomas King but I am still a happy girl!

Best wishes to you,

Tracey Watson (allfab from the SBBB)

Tracey!*waves* Of course I remember you. It's good to see you here. I'm over at Brenda's board these days (when I surface from my writing). If you know where it is, come drop us a line.

That's right, you're a Jazz girl like me, aren't you? Well, if I must read that as consolation, I suppose I'll have to *long suffering sigh*.  :smileywink:

New User
Silence-is-Golden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Tracy, West, gee I've missed chatting with you guys!

Suz : I received my Into the Fire booklet, Thank You!

I read Hot Pusuit in 4 hours cover to cover and I have to admit I'm still not fond of serial killer stories, it was even scarier this time being inside the killer's head.  I'm rereading it again because there are a few details I want to reread, especially about Robin babysitting Ash.

I also join in the Decker/Tracy short story begging!!!!

Message Edited by Silence-is-Golden on 08-04-2009 10:44 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Guys - Anne B here - I'm just reading the comments since I left last night - I'm in on the begging.........

becke_davis - Is there another place (blog/BB) that all of us "Suz-actics" (that doesn't quite roll off the tongue the way I wanted - SB-fanatics???) can get together in- between books? I haven't found any since the BB closed.

Suz - How was Battlestar? I finished Otherwise Engaged last night - do you find that you kind of use parts of characters from your older books in your newer ones? I also loved your "nubnut/s" story.

I'm just rereading this post - sorry about all the different tangents......Anne B

There is a Troubleshooters page on Facebook (I posted the link on the FAQ thread) and you can do a Facebook Fan Club. If the existing Troubleshooters page isn't what you're looking for, I can set up a page and administrate it, if Suzanne would go for that. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm having fun reading all your comments! I'm excited about the possibility of a Troubleshooters-based TV series. I'm thinking of NCIS meets JAG meets 24 meets . . . well, I'm not sure there is another "meets." Meets Suzanne, I guess. I haven't seen a show with "real" characters or real sexual tension in quite awhile. TV knows how to to action, tension and suspense, but I rarely see romance done well on television. I don't even see it done well that often in movies, which is why I treasure my favorites so much!

I think that may be because in television and movies, it's all in front of our faces without much left to the imagination. In books, great authors like Suzanne give us enough description to recognize the characters but leave enough "spaces" in those descriptions that we can fill in the blanks with things we like. That's one reason -- and I know some of you hate these covers -- that I like those "no head" book covers. I want to keep the faces of the hero and heroine in my imagine. The models are great, but rarely portray the hero or heroine the way I do in my head. And actors get it right even less. 

Contributor
shazy131
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Center Stage/About Center Stage

Hi Suz - In the TS guide you published with ITS you interviewed Ken and Van, and they announced that Van was going to run for Congress. What happened? When bits and pieces of HP came out at first I thought it was Van that was running for office. I still chuckle over the thought of Ken being the "First Man".

I also have to say that I read the authors note before the book and I was heartborken to see "final TS". I'm so glad you will be returning to the series, and I am looking forward to the non-TS books. I love your writing style, especially the thoughts that go through the characters' heads.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Suzanne - You've mentioned that you're reworked an unpublished story that you wrote a long time back. That's made me think about your early books. Did you always want to write romance, or what I'd guess you'd call romantic suspense?

I'd love to hear about the first book you ever wrote, and the first book you ever sold, which I realize might be two different stories. I can see how you've grown as a writer, but I still have a soft spot for your early stories. 

Good morning, gang!  

Actually Becke, when I first started writing romance, I thought of myself as a romcom writer.  But I enjoyed reading books in the SIlhouette Intimate Moments line (now defunct), so I decided to try writing one.  (HERO UNDER COVER, recently reissued!)  

That was the first book of mine that Silhouette bought, and at that point they decided that I would write only Rom Suspense, which really freaked me out.  

That was one of the reasons why I pushed so hard to also be published by Bantam Loveswept.  Most of the books I wrote for that catagory romance line were romcoms.  (OTHERWISE ENGAGED was just reissued!)

As for the first book I ever wrote -- that was a little gem called LOOKING FOR PERFECTION.  It featured a hero who was a rockstar guitar player, who'd been mugged and lost the use of his left hand (essential for playing guitar).  He was one of those rock stars who'd hit when he was in his early teens (shades of Joe Perry in Aerosmith), and he suddenly found himself needing to hide out from the world, but with absolutely no idea how to make a cup of coffee or buy a pair of pants.  (Fish out of water.)  

He escapes to Cape Cod where he meets a woman and dot dot dot...

So that was my first attempt at a category romance.  I'd read a book (by a well established author) who had a hero who was a prominent country star, and I thought, Great!  

See, I'd worked in the music industry, as an admin assistant for a music manager, (and I'd played/sang in a rock band myself) so I knew a great deal about that world.

Little did I realize, though that "write what you know" was trumped by "never write a rock star hero."  

That book still languishes, unpublished.  (Maybe someday...)

The first book I sold was the fourth book I wrote.  My title was BED AND BREAKFAST, but it was published by Meteor Kismet in August 1993 as FUTURE PERECT.  The hero was a writer and the heroine ran a bed and breakfast and had dyslexia.  

One thing I do remember quite clearly about writing that first romance novel was -- about 15 pages in to the first chapter, I ran upstairs from my office to find Ed to proclaim, "Eureka!  I have found the perfect outlet for my writing voice!"  

It was crazy how comfortable it felt to write romance.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:
Hi Suz - It's Anne B again - I just caught up since I posted before - about the virtual signings - I love them - someday my signed copies will be worth MILLIONS, but I'm sure my heirs will keep them because they will know that they really meant a lot to me.  Does the number of books you sign grow each time?

Anne,

Actually, the number grows when we do a giveaway like the "Extras" booklets.  Last booklet, I signed well over 1000 books.  

Which was fun.  A project, but definitely fun.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

AnthonysMom wrote:

Oh Suz, I LOVE Annie! I also love Ric.... There is something about a spanish man, gee maybe that is why I married one, lol..

That also was a great book. I just loved Jules and Robin in it.

FORCE OF NATURE is one of my personal favorites, too!  I'm glad you liked it!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

Daddy was a cop -- on the southside of Chicago...

How about BILLY DON"T BE A HERO?  (I think Izzy knows all of the words to that one, too.)

Do you have older siblings?  I think kids who grow up with older brothers and sisters who are really into music end up with a more vast library of memorized songs.  Kind of a result of singing along to Inna Gada Da Vida at age two, instead of "Jack and Jill" or "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."  (Not my intention to diss those two children's songs, just an observation.)

Actually, I do. Not as many as Izzy has, but we are working the vast age difference thing. There's 16 years between my oldest sister and me, and 22 years between my half sister and me. Plus, my parents grew up in the '50s, so I had their influences, as well. Not to mention I'm just naturally musically inclined, and it's hard to find music I don't like.

I think it's part of why I identify with Izzy so well (youngest child syndrome). My theory (and yes, I know you're not saying) is that part of the reason Izzy is so obnoxious is that he grew up without a lot of attention, since his older siblings were getting married and having kids while he himself was a kid. I know the feeling (my neice and nephew from my half sister are both older than me). So I think getting into trouble and being loud is Izzy's way of getting attention (just MHO.)

P.S. -Deck, Tracy, short story. Begging will offically commence.. in three, two, one...

Aha!  My theory is supported!  

And I hear you re: Deck and Tracy for a short story!  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

enoree wrote:
I also love Kenny and Savannah and would really like to know more on Kenny's recovery (I've been very worried about him).  Also I would love a child for Jules and Robin (adopted or maybe a long lost love child of Robin's, before he was sober).  And am correct in that the secret love of Tony Vlachick is Jules' exPlease tell me it's not, because I really don't like him, he is not a nice person.

Hey, Enoree!

Read the scene in HOT PURSUIT where Alyssa is talking on the phone with Savannah, early in the book.  It's pretty clear from Alyssa's reaction to what Van is saying that Ken's doing fine.  

And people are capable of growing up, maturing and changing.  That's what makes human beings so amazing!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'm thinking "numbnut" should be a secret password. What for? Not a clue. But I'm going to remember it -- just in case!

Excellent!  We have to devise a secret handshake to go with it...

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

HMareeDavis wrote:

Ack. The previous message disappeared. I'm talking about Sam here.

Oh yeah. I think he's hotter now than ever!

Of course I seem to be developing a better appreciation of the more mature male these days.

Message Edited by HMareeDavis on 08-03-2009 09:19 PM

Thanks!  I think Sam's pretty hot, myself!  Fun to write from his point of view...

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

enoree wrote:

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

balloon wrote:
I have just finished Hot Pusuit  and loved it.. I find Dam to be caring all the while letting her do her own thing without crowding her. I liked Dan story also. Looking forward to hearing more about it.Thiis is my first time and am not sure where to send questioms to Ms Brockman. I they do not belong here please let me know so I can get them answered. 1 How tall is Jules and love his character as well as Robin. 2 Another book for next summer or earlier 3 What happens to Decker and Tracy 3 I only get the recorded version and only Micheal plays a good Sam and why cant the woman play the female parts and the male parts. Please let me know how to proceed

Hey, balloon, you're totally in the right place for asking questions. 

Let's see -- 1)  Jules is pretty short  and I'm glad you love him and Robin, too.

2)  Next summer will see the release of GALLAGHER'S CLAIM, a paperback original, stand alone.

3) I've gotten such a strong response to the Tracy/Decker pairing!  I know a lot of readers would like to see more of them!

4)  Ah, so you're an audiobook listener!  I happen to love both Michael Holland (who reads ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT) and Patrick Lawlor who reads the other books in the series with  either Melanie Eubanks or Renee Raudman.  All four of them are excellent narrators.  I think it's just a subjective taste thing -- I really love the male/female narrators.

A cool note:  Michael Holland has always been "the voice of Jules" for me.  He's a singer/songwriter living in NYC and I was so jazzed when he agreed to narrate the audiobook.  

And... I also realized when I first wrote from Izzy's point of view, that I was writing him for Patrick to read.  Patrick's got EXACTLY the right sense of humor to read Izzy -- he gets the candence of Izzy's language perfectly.  It's always a treat to hear him ready Izzy's scenes!

Oh great, now I have to buy the audiobooks just to hear the voices of Jules and Izzy! LOL! 

Brilliance Audio does such a good job with the audiobooks.  I highly recommend them -- especially for making long car rides.  (Ed and I are about to get in the car -- on Saturday! -- with the puppies for the drive from MA to FLA!  Ack!)