Contributor
TraceyW
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Hi West,

Congrats on your writing. I hope it is going well for you.  I am sure you are like Suz and don't like to talk about your project while your in the midst of it so I will just wish you well and hope that you are writing in the romance genre so that one day I might get to check it out:smileyhappy:  I am not familiar with Brenda's board.....is it a closed board?.......so I am not sure that I will get to keep up with you.  However, hopefully something happens here....Becke? has linked up a page so hopefully quite a few people can get a nice discussion happening.

Anyway, wishing you well and happy thoughts for our fave, but unwritten, hunk of love! Jazz of course:smileywink:

Cheers,

Tracey 

Contributor
TraceyW
0 Kudos

Hi Silence,

I too miss chatting with the SBBB.  I admit that in the short time I was a member I was absolutely obsessed so the absence has left a bit of a hole!  Hope all is going well and that you have many wonderful books to keep you happy and entertained.

Cheers,

Tracey

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

vi6 wrote:

Hi Suz!  You were the first author that I ever wrote to. I was nervous for Sam and Alyssa. I was astounded that you replied to me as well as reassured that you were not done. To this day, Over the Edge remains as favorite TS book.  It was not the first book that I had read by you, but it was the one that had me hooked.

Because I am now hooked and need my Suz fix, can you tell me how many new books will be out in 2010 and 2011? 

Thank you for writing great stories!

Good morning! 

You know, I got a HUGE wave of email after OVER THE EDGE came out.  I was astonished at the passion that readers felt about the Sam & Alyssa story arc. 

And I was a little surprised that it wasn't obvious that their story wasn't over.  But then, when I thought about it, I realized, well duh.  Readers probably couldn't read my mind, and this kind of ongoing romantic story arc hadn't been done very often before in the romance genre.  Romance novels end, and things get tied up.  And here was Sam, going off to marry Mary Lou.

If I could go back in time, I would have made sure there was a mention of Sam & Alyssa in the excerpt for OUT OF CONTROL that went in the back of OTE. 

Much of the email I received was from people who were really angry.  REALLY angry.  It was a little alarming at first, but I also came to realize that all this emotion was fabulous!  I'd managed to make people feel so passionately about my fictional characters and my stories.  I'd far rather get an angry email than one that's blase.  "Read your latest.  Ho hum" vs.  "How could you do that?!?!  ARGH!!!"    You know what I mean?  

I've always tried to respond personally to reader email, but with OVER THE EDGE, I made a point not to let any slip through the cracks!  Even the readers who wrote to tell me "I got to the end of OTE and I threw the book against the wall.  You suck for not giving S&A their happy ending, and I will never read another of your books again!"

Wow, what passion!

I wrote back very politely, "I want to thank you for reading my books, and I understand completely if you feel you don't want to read them anymore, but oh, by the way, Kenny's book is next and it's a fun one -- I think you might really enjoy it.  And I also want to reassure you that Sam and Alyssa's story is far from over.  Trust me.  They WILL be back..."

"Trust me" has become my battle cry through the years.   And it's"Trust me to write a story that will be compelling, and to keep characters true, with believable changes and growth as they work to win their happy endings."  It's not  "Trust me to write the story the way you want it to be written," because that's such a subjective thing.

For everyone who wanted Sophia to end up with Decker, there was someone who wanted her to end up with Dave -- and someone who wanted her to end up with Dan Gillman, or a as-yet-to-be-introduced hero.  

Lot of opinions out there, and I've always recognized them for just that -- subjective opinions.  And I learned, early on, to trust my instincts in terms of story and character.

Anyway -- I digress!

You asked about my book release schedule for the next year or so.

At this point in time, there's going to be a lull in the release schedule as my publisher and I move to a production schedule for the books that allows us more time.  (When books are "crashed," or moved quickly from final draft to published book, as HOT PURSUIT was, mistakes get made.  We're hoping to avoid that in the future by building in more time between my final draft due date and the books pub date.)

So right now the schedule is this:

STAND-IN GROOM (Bantam Loveswept reissue) fall 2009

GALLAGHER'S CLAIM (a stand-alone paperback original) August, 2010

TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE (Bantam Loveswept reissue) October 2010

HOT PURSUIT pb reissue January 2011

Izzy's book, hardcover, March 2011 (which means it'll be in stores the last Tuesday in February.)

But like all things, this schedule is subject to change!  So don't write these dates into your calendar in pen!

And we haven't yet scheduled the TS Short Story Anthology or the first book in the new trilogy.  So while right now there will be only two new books coming out in 2010 and 2011, that is probably going to change.

-- Suz

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Suzanne - Thanks so much for sharing the story of your first writing efforts. I love that you were a rock star before you were a ROCK STAR (in the writing world) -- I was a Beatle fan for year (still love them, but now I lean towards Springsteen), and I would have read that book in an instant. Could it be a novella in your short story collection?

One thing I see in these comments over and over again is how invested we are in your characters. We don't just think of them as people in books, we think of them as people. We share their feelings -- when they hurt, we hurt. When they fall in love, we fall right with them. It's quite a gift to be able to write like that, and I'm really glad you discovered it early in your career.

LOOKING FOR PERFECTION is a little too long to include as a short story. Besides, the stories are all going to be from the TS world.  

But there's always the chance that I'll pull out the manuscript and decide to polish it up.  

It is really interesting to see how my writing voice matured through the years -- very obvious when you look back at this first attempt at a romance novel!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I have trouble imagining what it must be like for you, having two authors in the house. Does that make life easier, since you and Ed both understand things like writing deadlines? What happens when you both have new releases at the same time, or if your book tours take you in different directions? Can you tell us some of the good and bad things about working in the same business?

Well, to start with, our two offices are on opposite sides of the house.  

And it helps that Ed is a "Grand Central Station" writer.  That is, his writing method allows him to write happily and comfortably amidst the chaos.  So his office is right by the front door.  The dogs also both hang out with him.  "Come be writer dogs!" is a command they now recognize and enjoy.  They sleep on the sofa in Ed's office while he's at the computer.  

And he's okay with my wandering down to hug the dogs or to talk to him throughout the day.  

As far as deadlines go -- Ed's always understood the importance of deadlines.  He's been thoroughly respectful and supportive right from the start of my career.  And when things get down to the wire, he goes into full support mode, which is nice.  

He's not as crazy as I am, which also helps, when it comes to writing method.  Once I approach the end of a book, I tend to stay up late and keep writing.  I'm known for finishing the first draft of a book at 4:00 a.m.  But he'll stop writing in the early evening, even if he's just got a few more pages to write, and he'll finish his book by noon the next day.  It's weird. <ggg>  And so reasonable!  (What?  Sleep?  Now???)

As for conflicting releases, it just never really happened.  Also, when you're a new author, it's very rare to get publisher support for things like booksignings.   So, actually, it would be a benefit to him to have a book come out near one of my releases -- and then we just go on tour together.

He always comes on tour with me anyway.  Touring can be grueling -- I can't imagine doing it without Ed (and my buddy Eric) by my side.  

But once Ed started writing, we made a point to request that each bookseller also have his books on hand at my signings.  So that's actually been a good thing!  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

my reread will have to wait, because I'm trying to write my first book, and I have this rule... never read an author who could influence my writing while I'm actually trying to write. And Suz is definitely one of those authors (what's she done for my perception on POV... well, I just don't have the words). So until I either a) finish this book or b) come to a natural breaking point, no Suz books for me.

Hey, West.

That's a good policy -- I have the same one.  

But the real reason I don't read anyone else's fiction while I'm writing a book is because once I start a good book, I can't put it down.  And then I sneak away from my computer to finish reading the book at every chance I get/make.  At the end of the day, zero pages written.  Not a good thing!  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

enoree wrote:

I had just finished the book when I wrote this and all these characters were still running around in my head so sorry if I sound like I'm talking about real people (really..I'm not crazy I do know this is fiction..really).  But that said I think I feel a little maternal toward Izzy, like he was vulnerable and she was taking advantage. 

I hear you!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I think a lot of us are relieved that characters we like may yet get their POV story. I totally understand you needing a break, and I'm looking forward to your new/old book and the short story collection. But I'll also be waiting with bated breath for your return to the Troubleshooters. After you've had a chance to relax and refresh, I'll be very curious to see what direction you'll take us next!

Jay Lopez. 

Gotta write Jay's story...  

Not sure if it'll be the first book after the break, or if I'll zap him with a multi-book story arc.  But he's in my sites.  (Sights?  I never know how to spell that.  The experssion comes from aiming a gun.  Does anyone know if it's spelled gunsight or gunsite?)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I've been a huge fan of Kyle Chandler since he starred in a series called Homefront, years and years ago. I don't watch much TV but it looks like I'll have to rent the whole series of Friday Night Lights!

And speaking of proofreading (well, a couple posts back), I just noticed I wrote that I like to keep the features of the heroes and heroines in my "imagine." (*bangs head on wall*) 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-04-2009 02:21 PM

Yeah, I hadn't seen HOMEFRONT, but I recognized him.  He's incredible.  And definitely start with season one of FNL.  That's the best season, IMO.  

FNL is one of those series that my editor urged me to watch.  She's never wrong.  (We have such similar likes and dislikes when it comes to TV -- it's great.)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

HMareeDavis wrote:

Commiserations on the packing, I've had to do it a time or twenty and the office is the absolute worst room to do.

Yeah, and I've been procrastinating.  I'm putting most of my stuff into temporary storage while the house is being painted and "staged" to sell.  And I have this fear that everything that goes into storage will disappear like the Lost Ark in Indiana Jones, you know?  (And okay, our storage space just isn't that large, but it holds all of my author copies of all of my books -- which really adds up through the years.

Anyway, Ed's just gone to Staples to get big orange or yellow stickers to put on all of my office stuff boxes.  So know I really have to go and do this.  (Deadline is Friday, I'm cutting it close!)

So I'm going to go get to that work right now -- I'll pop back in at lunchtime, and then again throughout the day.  

I also wanted to let you guys know my schedule for Friday -- I've got a booksigning on Friday night at 7 p.m. (at RJ Julia's on Boston Post Road in Madison, CT), so I'm going to be unavailable at that time.  

But I just got one of those mini laptops and with that and my aircard, I can get online and answer questions during my two hour drive from MA to CT, starting around 3:00 p.m. ET.  So I'll definitely be popping in then, on Friday, and I'll pop in for my final time during the drive home later that night! 

But today and Thursdays and I'll be here in and out throughout the day!

See you soon,
Suz

New User
Silence-is-Golden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
If it helps any: sight is visual, as in I see, it is in my sight, whereas site is a location, as in it was the site of the first atom bomb.  So, I am pretty sure it is gunsight.
Message Edited by Silence-is-Golden on 08-05-2009 09:32 AM
Reader 2
LouisaEdwards
0 Kudos

Suzanne Brockmann wrote:

Hi, Louisa!

Great to see you here!  Thank you for  your kind words!

Louisa's got a book coming out this fall called CAN'T STAND THE HEAT (I suck at remembering titles, did I get it right???  Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

It's actually kind of cool, her book features a hero who's a chef, and I have a reissue of my Bantan Loveswept called STAND-IN GROOM which featuers a hero who's a chef that's coming out right at the same time!  I'm thinking it's the perfect "double feature" for readers who like something a little different in their heroes.

I don't just suck at remembering titles, I also am challenged when it comes to remembering dates, but I think it's out in... November?  Louisa, fill in the good people -- and post a link to your website.  Don't be shy.  

Louisa's also got another element in her book that many of you will be interested it -- it's got a romantic subplot with a hero and a hero.  

I'm really psyched to read it -- her ARCs on my TBR pile as I write this!  (Oh, to have just a few more hours in a day!!!!)

-- Suz

You remembered the title perfectly! Thanks so much for mentioning my book. Yes, CAN'T STAND THE HEAT comes out September 1st (www.louisaedwards.com for more details) and I really can't wait. 

I've told you this already, Suz, but let me state for the record, you were totally my inspiration for this book, particularly the hero/hero subplot. Jules and Robin lit my imagination on fire with the possibilities! I hope people get as big a kick out of reading about my guys as I did writing them.

And a Sam/Alyssa spinoff tv show featuring Jules and Robin, hmmm? Who on earth would you cast to play those amazing characters? It's tough, I'm really not sure anyone could match how alive they are in my head. Jules, especially. What actor could capture his voice?

New User
paintergirl70
0 Kudos

I'm glad to hear that Tracy and Deck's story isn't over. They were definitely a pair that I didn't see coming, but I think that they totally complement each other. Rereading your books, I love the pairing of Deck and Tracy and Sophia and Dave even more.

For Izzy's story, I am totally pulling for Eden (but I know whoever you will pair him with, I will love). I want to hear her story. She seems to have had it tough, and Izzy really cares for her. Are we going to get more of Dan's POV in the next story? I feel like in Hot Pursuit, we got a glimpse of him, but we didn't get to hear his whole story. Can't wait for the next book. Happy packing.

Kelsey

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne - (I still feel weird saying "Suze" or "Suz") -- thanks so much for answering our questions so thoughtfully. I've been lurking here and transferring some of your responses to the FAQ thread. If any of you think I should include other comments that people will want to know, tell me and I'll add them to that thread. I can also bring over info from the Facebook interview last week.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good morning all and Happy Anniversary Suz,

I read your first post this morning and had to laugh at your ingenuity getting angry fans to tune into your next book. Great mind at work there. I'm also glad that Deck and Tracy will have a story and I can't wait to see what you put them through.

No questions just wanted to say Happy Anniversary.

New User
Julianne125
0 Kudos

At the risk of getting sentimental:

I just wanted to acknowledge how great you are for advocating the issues of gay marriage, inclusion, correctness, etc. Your including details such as Jules correcting to "significant other" (instead of "did she have a boyfriend?") and Robin being grateful to be in a city that allows him access to his husband's bedside. Those are good reminders--even for a firmly No-on-8 girl like myself.

The books are wonderful, but you're not just churning out good fiction. There's a higher purpose and greater calling at work here. You do a lot of good, on many, many levels.

Respectfully--

Julianne

New User
pegmit
0 Kudos

Will we be seeing Maria again?

I know this is the dreaded "can't talk about the other books" but just in an abstract way???

What is Ashton's middle name?

How's Puppy Boy, the incredible Miniature Schnauzer?

What IS Ed working on?

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

TraceyW wrote:

Hi Anne,

I'm in.  If you find another Suz gathering spot let me know:smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Tracey

Hey, gang.

Shutting down my message board was a really difficult decision, and in hindsight the fact that I kept giving it another chance, another try, was, I believe, the wrong choice.  Things got way too ugly in the final few years, but like I said, it was hard to let it go.   Because in its heyday, it was a grand board, where most people could put aside their differences and come together, based on similiarities.  (We all share far more of those than we do differences.)  

If you do find a new place to gather, let me know.  And if you want me to, I'll drop by from time to time!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

There's a Troubleshooters fansite on Facebook moderated by Scott Guthrie: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2426256106&ref=search

Wasn't sure if that was official or not. If not, it's pretty easy to set up a group there. 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Kriscita wrote:

Hi Suzanne!

I love the TS series!  I first read Hot Target and then earlier this year after DON, I went back and read the whole series in order (including ones I already read) and I'm excited about Hot Pursuit-I'm sure it's going to be just as awesome as all the others.(I'll be starting it tomorrow-yay!!!)

I'm definitely on the bandwagon for a Deck/Tracy short story as they're right up there with Sam/Alyssa and Jules and Robin for favorite status.

Do you know going in who a character is going to end up with?  For example, did you always have Tracy in the back of your mind for Deck or was it just not working with Sophia?

Thanks for taking the time to chat.

Hi, Kriscita!

I'm glad you're enjoying the books -- and yeah, I'm a big fan, myself, of reading a series in order.  

I don't always have a partner in mind for a character -- but sometimes I do.  I recently (as I was packing up my office!) found my original proposal for FLASHPOINT, and because I was introducing a whole pile of brand new characters, I was working from a relatively clean slate.  Obviously I knew the book would be about Tess and Nash.  But at the end of the proposal, I wrote a short blurb for my editor about the next few books in the series and in it I'd written a very short synopsis for a Decker/Sophia book.

Now, remember, this was back when FLASHPOINT was in outline stage.  And I'd never met Decker or Sophia (or Nash or Tess or Dave) before.  

And until I actually write scenes with a character, he or she is never fully formed.  But once they walk and talk and think and I get inside of their head, then I "get" them on a completely different level.

Well, as soon as I wrote the scene in the bathroom between Decker and Sophia, I knew that these two people weren't going to hook up.  Not in any kind of permanent way.  And it was right about that same time (I told this story over on the facebook chat, too!) that I wrote that scene where Dave's dragged himself out to the barn, because he didn't want to keep everyone up all night, listening to him vomit, and he'd just given himself an IV so he wouldn't get dehydrated, and I thought, "Hmmm."  I think from that point on, the idea that Dave was right for Sophia began to grow.  (I even set up a little foreshadowing by having Sophia jokingly refer to Dave in that book as "her third husband.")  

Anyway, I was surprised to find those early notes because -- like I said -- as soon as Decker became real to me, I knew it was Not Sophia.  And then when Tracy appeared in INTO THE STORM...

Remember that scene where Deck goes to Tracy's motel room to pick up clothes for Sophia?  Tracy made Decker smile, and I knew that he liked her.  She also wasn't afraid to talk to him as if he were a human being -- not a hero or a mentor or a team leader.  I realized at that point that Tracy was on Decker's radar, and the more I saw of her, the more I liked her, too.

Jules and Robin -- that was a definite, right from the start thing for me.  

Same with Teri and Stan, even though we don't see much of them before OTE.

I knew I was going to kill Angelina right from the start, when I wrote Flashpoint.

Lotta times, though, I'll introduce the heroine right in the book where she wins her happy ending with the hero. Like Hannah and Murphy, or Nils and Meg, or Van and Kenny, Joan and Mike...

I'm not sure when I decided that Jenk and Lindsey were meant for each other.  They don't interact before INTO THE STORM, which is their book, so that's kind of the same thing.

-- Suz