Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

MaryJoY wrote:

Umm, are you by chance going to offer a recipe for these brownies to the rest of us?? :smileyhappy:

Mary Jo

*Gasp!* you mean, you want me to share my super-secret recipe for alcoholic brownies, that is in fact so secret I require a password and handshake? I'm kidding. It's really easy.

If you want the whole from-scratch Pleasure-Coma-Inducing Alcoholic Brownies recipe, send me an e-mail (autumnwaning@yahoo.com). it's long and involved, so I won't post it here. But here's a trick anyone can do using boxed mix (I prefer Betty Crocker Triple Chunk mix).

Follow the directions on the box, but add two Tbsp of Amaretto to the mix.

Bake as directed, let cool two hours. Once cool, use a toothpick to poke many, many holes in the brownies. Brush liberally with Amaretto, let soak in and set.

Take frosting of your choice, and add a very small amount of liquor, to taste. It's very important to add the liquor in small amounts, as too much will keep frosting from setting.

Frost and enjoy. Do not eat and drive.

Note- you can use whatever kind of liquor you like. Orange goes really well, so does Raspberry.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne - As far as I recall, RWA National is in Nashville in 2010 and New York City in 2011. And RT is going to be in Columbus, OH in 2010, too. In Cincinnati, we also have the Lori Foster Reader and Writer Get Together to look forward to every June, too.
New User
Julianne125

SamRo wrote:

Pam4290 wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

I suscribe to Romance Junkies and Mammakim told us about your appearance here.  I wanted to say Hi.  Your books sound very interesting and I cannot believe I haven't read you before.  That being said I am anxious to start the The Troubleshooter series.  The Unsung Hero will be my next purchase.  I absolutely love romantic suspense and am looking forward to discovering your work.

Love & Hugs,

Pam Keener in PA

If I may make a suggestion Pam.  Just go ahead and buy them all.  I was a perpetual magazine mom(" I don't have time to read a whole book...").  I started with Breaking Point and couldn't put it down. The kids were crying, wrecking my house I didn't hear any of it.  Then I went back to the beginning and it was agonizing waiting for the next book to arrive.  So my advice would be to just buy them all section off about a week or so and go for it I'm pretty sure you'll be chomping at the bit for the next book ( Izzy's) just like the rest of us. You get to witness some pretty amazing/complicated  people grow up and  learn about themselves and the people around them.  In the end when they cry you'll cry, when the triumph your heart will lighten.  OK I'm done.

Samantha

Hi Pam and Samantha--

I had to laugh reading this. Yes, Pam, buy them all now. Trust us.

I stumbled upon Into the Fire first and then went back and bought and read all, in order, up to then. And that was a whole lotta reading. Crying kids? Ringing phone? Piled up laundry? What? Sorry, can't hear you and can't see you! But, the fam seems to have managed without me--so no family therapy required. :smileyhappy:

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

vi6 wrote:

Suz,

Can you throw me a bone :smileywink:.... what kinda dog did Deck and Tracy adopt?

Nice wordplay!  Dog, bone...

I think they got a Dog.  A mixed breed.  Remember, Deck had been volunteering at a shelter, so he'd probably gotten to know many of the dogs extremely well.  I'm sure they picked someone lovely and loyal.

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

For those of you who are just coming on board, Suzanne is here "live" with us quite a bit, but she's also in the process of packing up her office. She'll be back!

Also, I've created a FAQ thread at Center Stage where I'm copying some of the frequently asked questions plus other things you might want to know -- I realize the number of posts here is daunting! But isn't it great that Suzanne takes the time to do this? I love the way she lets us share her process and sort of read what was going on in her mind when she wrote the books.

I've always loved Max and Gina's story -- although, I'll admit, the first time I read it I was so shell-shocked I was almost afraid to read the next. Obviously, I did -- and the next and the next and the next. Sam and Alyssa and Jules and Robin are other faves of mine, but I will admit I was thrilled when Decker and Tracy came together. I love Dan and Jenni and want to read more about them, but I absolutely LOVE Izzy. I can hardly wait for his story!

I also love Flashpoint -- the scene where Tess, in a horribly tense situation, poses as a topless barmaid in front of the gorgeous Jimmy Nash -- whoa, I didn't know whether to scream or laugh or cry. Right in that scene, we learned so much about Tess. I loved her character from that point on! 

And thank YOU, Becke, for moderating and for creating the FAQ thread!  

I, too, loved that scene with Tess.  It was so much fun to write a scene that made it beyond clear that the woman was ready to be a field agent, no question about it.  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

You are so right -- and the best way to crush those perceptions is by making it personal.  Someone is less likely to attack my son if they know him as a person, as another individual, rather than part of a "scary" group.  (Scary in the uneducated eyes of the beholder, that is.)  And they're less likely to attack him, as well, if they don't know him but if they have a friend or family member that they DO know, who is gay.  

That's where Jules comes in.  I've got plenty of fictional character friends -- I know how it works.  It was not by accident that Jules is so funny and endearing and wonderful and brave.  

Now, I know that some readers turned away from my books when I began my "gay agenda," ie spreading love and understanding and acceptance; but I also know that there were a whole huge pile of readers who hadn't truly given much thought to what it means to be a gay person living in America.  They weren't homophobic, but they weren't not, if you know what I mean.  And then there were the readers who, like Sam, WERE homophobic -- out of simple ignorance and misunderstanding.  

My hope was that introducing Jules to them, and making them enjoy his (fictional) friendship and even grow to love him, that they would become better informed and less likely to ignore the intolerance and discrimination that otherwise might've been happening under their very noses.  

Personalizing it. Exactly. You know, I used "Hot Target" to get through to my friend John. He came to me and told me he thought is brother was- erm, F word that is not allowed in my home, and asked me what he was supposed to do. So I told him to read the book, and then we'd discuss. And aslo to never use that word again. Mostly, I wanted him to get to know Robin, more than Jules. Because Robin, back then, was exactly like too many gay people- In the closet, and on the bottle. And amazingly, he read it. Without a single complaint.

Then I sat him down, and talked to him. We talked about Jules, and Robin, and Cosmo- and also my sister, Anya. John made a joke about her, one I've heard used a lot, that I find really offensive- "She's not really gay, she just hasn't slept with me yet." I don't like that, even as a joke. It trivializes gay women, and also, even if the person saying it doesn't realize it, is somewhat threatening.

Because Anya's heard that, many many times, from people who aren't joking. They are absolutely sure that if she had sex with them-one way or another- that she wouldn't be gay anymore. So we talked about that, and about how thousands of gay teens everyday face the kind of bullying Robin did. And then I asked him a question. "How does his being gay personally affect you?" And I made him think about it, real hard, before I let him answer. And three days later, when he did, I'm proud to say, his answer was only that it made him a little more afraid for his brother's safety. He said it didn't affect anything else in his life, whatsoever. And he also put an immediate F-word-ectomy into effect on his vocabulary.

And that's why I love Sam. You know, the whole story line with ML pushed all my buttons in a bad, bad way, so I orginally wasn't very fond of him. But Sam is what I'd like every homophobic person to become- loving and accepting. And for that, Sam will always hold a special place in my heart. I lent all the books to John and had him read them, so he could understand why he's "my Sam". Jules and Robin are his favorite characters, and he has a deep hatred of Adam Wyndham (I believe his exact words were "my brother had never date anyone like that!".)

And yeah, it's only one person. But one person is a start. And I'm not stopping- so I can promise my one will become two, and three. And John's going to find one, and two and so on.

Ah, West, you've made me all verklempt. 

Because that's exactly how it works.  The ripple effect -- it does happen.  It WILL happen -- because of people like you.

You have my son's back.  ANd I have John's brother's back. And together we will (ALL of us) change the world.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

SamRo wrote:

Suzanne,

It was a pleasure to hang out with you these last few days, I hope you have a wonderful book signing tomorrow and have a safe trip to FL.  Quick question.  Do you ever go to the cape?  It is one of my very favorite spots in the world.  I vacation in Dennis off old 6A(bayside).  Until I can afford to retire there.  It seems you go lots of places but that's your back yard. I would be there monthly.  Just wondering.

Samantha

Ooh, Samantha, when my kids were little, we used to rent a place in Dennis every summer.  (At the time, we lived just outside of NYC.)

It's been a long time since I've spent any time on the Cape, but I hope to spent maybe a month there next summer, after LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES.  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Can I just say that I suck at closing parentheses?  I write and think in parentheses, but I rarely put them in at the end. 

Sheesh.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Suzanne - As far as I recall, RWA National is in Nashville in 2010 and New York City in 2011. And RT is going to be in Columbus, OH in 2010, too. In Cincinnati, we also have the Lori Foster Reader and Writer Get Together to look forward to every June, too.

Excellent!  Thank you! 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Julianne125 wrote:

SamRo wrote:

Pam4290 wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

I suscribe to Romance Junkies and Mammakim told us about your appearance here.  I wanted to say Hi.  Your books sound very interesting and I cannot believe I haven't read you before.  That being said I am anxious to start the The Troubleshooter series.  The Unsung Hero will be my next purchase.  I absolutely love romantic suspense and am looking forward to discovering your work.

Love & Hugs,

Pam Keener in PA

If I may make a suggestion Pam.  Just go ahead and buy them all.  I was a perpetual magazine mom(" I don't have time to read a whole book...").  I started with Breaking Point and couldn't put it down. The kids were crying, wrecking my house I didn't hear any of it.  Then I went back to the beginning and it was agonizing waiting for the next book to arrive.  So my advice would be to just buy them all section off about a week or so and go for it I'm pretty sure you'll be chomping at the bit for the next book ( Izzy's) just like the rest of us. You get to witness some pretty amazing/complicated  people grow up and  learn about themselves and the people around them.  In the end when they cry you'll cry, when the triumph your heart will lighten.  OK I'm done.

Samantha

Hi Pam and Samantha--

I had to laugh reading this. Yes, Pam, buy them all now. Trust us.

I stumbled upon Into the Fire first and then went back and bought and read all, in order, up to then. And that was a whole lotta reading. Crying kids? Ringing phone? Piled up laundry? What? Sorry, can't hear you and can't see you! But, the fam seems to have managed without me--so no family therapy required. :smileyhappy:

Ah, see, that's what it was like when I was WRITING them.   I used to have a sign on my office door:  "Are you bleeding?  Is the house on fire?  If the answer is NO, please talk to me about it LATER."  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Okay, gang.

I'm going to go have dinner.  

I'll be online tomorrow at around 3:00 p.m., from my car (thanks to my aircard!) as I drive to my book signing at RJ Julia's in Madison, CT.

And I'll pop back on much later in the evening, during the ride home!

I will see you then!

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

I go away for ONE DAY..and I missed so much!

Suzanne--congratulations, completely, on the NEW YORK TIMES bestseller list. That is a wonderful accomplishment--and I'm sure you still get goosebumps thinking of it.  It's not difficult to see why it happened--you're an amazing writer--and an authentically wonderful person. 

xoxo

Hank

http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

Okay, gang.

I'm going to go have dinner.  

I'll be online tomorrow at around 3:00 p.m., from my car (thanks to my aircard!) as I drive to my book signing at RJ Julia's in Madison, CT.

And I'll pop back on much later in the evening, during the ride home!

I will see you then!

Drive carefully! I'd hate for you to have an accident while talking to us.
 And it's a pleasure moderating your visit -- this is a great group! 

Contributor
gaharleygirl
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

gaharleygirl wrote:

Hi Suz,

Wow! What a thrill to be able to send you a note and tell you how much I enjoy reading and re-reading your books. Havent read HP yet, but I was thrilled to see my signed copy  in my mail when I returned from vacation :smileyhappy: 

Can I just say that I LOVE all the books, - the depth of all your characters, they are so colorful and full of life to me - the action is so intense...the books are just so-  As you say they are like chocolate covered crack LOL...

But aside from your books, which all here have professed our love of, I also enjoy reading your booklets with your writer tips.  I know that you have posted your busy schedule already, but I am hopeful that you can squeak in an online seminar, or post us writer-wannabe-Suz-junkies some morsel of your writing wisdom is some format... :smileywink:

Thanks for spending some time here, and best wishes for continued success !!

Thank you!

I'm hoping to revise the Troubleshooters Readers Guide and make it available as an Extras booklet for Izzy's book.  

ANd I do like to include a section for writers (we like to distribute the booklets at RWA, too).  

I've been talking about the idea of writing a book about writing for some time now.  It's still in planning stages, but it's something that I'd really like to do.  (The goal is to cowrite it with a friend and make it interesting to nonwriters, too.)

In the meantime, though, you might want to check out the RWA audio library from the national conference.  I did a workshop on writing the non-traditional romance (diversity in romance) and there were a lot of really interesting questions asked.  

AND... I'm the keynote speaker for a RWA chapter conference in Ohio in 2010.  (I got that totally wrong on the facebook chat.  I suck at math.  I knew it was two years away, except, it was too years away back in 2008.  Oopsie.   SO it's definitely going to happen in October 2010 in Columbus, Ohio.  

I'm sure I'll be doing a workshop or two at that conference -- it should be fun!

And I'm planning to attend RWA National next July in NASHVILLE.  (Thanks to Sue S. for reminding me that it's not in NYC.  I don't know why I thought that.  Maybe it's there the year after...?  

-- Suz

Yay! I'm planning on being in Nashville at RWA - hope to meet you there! and I will definately check out the audio library in the meantime...

thanks for your time and good luck on the move and all your exciting new projects -btw- I am SO ready to read Izzy's story... I've had a crush on him since he first popped into the books... just love him to pieces...he is by far my favorite character of all...

hugs to you !

New User
bookreader1981
0 Kudos

Hello Suz,

First of all THANK YOU! for doing this kind of thing. You are one of a kind in making sure you do many things so your fans have access to ask you questions and receive responses.

I have been reading the TS series for a little over a year, and I patiently awaite each new book you write. I have heard you say before that if a reader starts in the middle of the series that is normally their favorite book, and I do believe you are right. My favorite is Hot Target! Not only was it my first TS book but it also itroduced us to Robin so we could now have Robin -n- Jules.

My question is, have all books come in the full size Hard Cover for TS series or have some only been paperback and book club hard covers. I am trying to complete my collection but I have only been able to find the book club hard covers for some of your earlier titles!

Thanks for all your time you give to us and I look forward to your new projects.

Thanks!

Becky ( My birthday is in August, but I always order myself an earlier birthday present in July! Its my yearly reward to myself!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Becky - This is a great question, and not one I can answer for Suzanne. She'll be back tomorrow, and I'm sure she'll be able to tell you more then.
New User
bookbearLT
0 Kudos

Hi Suz,

I don't know what I am going to do about my TS withdrawals while I wait for another book to come out.  Can you recommend some authors or tell us who you like to read?

Laura

New User
LoveToReadMC
0 Kudos

Suz, Just want to let you know how much I love your books. Reading is like a treasure hunt and when I found your books I discovered the entire treasure chest. I'm a big Cosmo & Jules fan and my favorite couples are Mike & Joan, Mark & Lindsey and Jules & Robin.  I look forward to reading your new series, but don't stay away from the TS series too long. 

Marva

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

bookbearLT wrote:

Hi Suz,

I don't know what I am going to do about my TS withdrawals while I wait for another book to come out.  Can you recommend some authors or tell us who you like to read?

Laura

Laura-

It's worse than that. I just read the FAQ page, and according to that, it's a year and a half 'til Izzy's book. We might wither and die from withdrawl. I'm trying to remember the last time we went that long without a new Suz book. I think maybe in the TDD days (if you read those).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love the idea of discovering authors/books as being like discovering a treasure chest. If you go to the Romantic Reads book club here, you will find a LOT of recommendations for great books. They aren't Suzanne, of course, but there are some really good books!

And if it's romantic suspense you're looking for, I moderate the Mystery Book Club here -- stop by and we'll find lots of books for you!