Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

dhaupt wrote:

My favorite non-Troubleshooters books of the re-issued variety are

Body Language

Freedom's Price

No Ordinary Man 

Ooh, I just was sent a Japanese Manga version of NO ORDINARY MAN.  It was extremely cool.  

Of course, I can't read Japanese, but the pictures truly told the story.   I kept shouting, "Look, there's the heroine's daughter!"   "Look, it's the FBI shrink!"  

Interestingly, the heroine was a folksinger, but in this version she wore an evening gown and sang with a big band.    Far more visually appealing, I suspect...

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

MaryJoY wrote:

Hi Suz,

FYI...Burn Notice season finale last night was awesome! (Stopped reading to watch it)

Also, I'm on page 144 of HP, had to go to work, darn.  But I'm likin it!

Mary Jo

Mary Jo,

Ooh, I'm out of sync with BURN NOTICE!!!!  My tivo exploded (virtually) and I lost all of season 2.5, so i'm waiting to get it on DVD.   I need to catch up.

I lost an ep of BREAKING BAD in the Tivo disaster, too, so I'm waiting for season two to come out on DVD.  (BB is one freaking awful wonderful show.  It rocks.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Brandye - no need to apologize for gushing and gushing here -- we all do it! I think Suzanne is going to be checking back.

Have a great weekend, everyone! 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

gaharleygirl wrote:

Wow! Great list  Becke! Thanks! I highly recommend the JR Ward series, if you love a good Vampire read...

I have one more question for Ms Suzanne...

Would you happen to have any resource recommendations for writers?

thanks!

Amy

Hey, Amy.

The best resource for writers is RWA.  Their national and chapter conferences are terrific for writers, particularly for beginning writers.  

And forget about the workshops (which are pretty dang great), the networking opportunities alone are wonderful.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, duh. While I was writing that response, look who else was posting!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Do you realize that 2,200 people have viewed this thread in the past five days? That is unreal! Well, I'm off to bed. Suzanne, this has been SUCH a fun week! And what a great group -- I hope you'll all come back next time Suzanne visits Center Stage, and in the meantime, come back and visit me over at the Mystery Book Club.

I'm on Twitter: Becke_Davis

And on Facebook I use my pen name, Becke Martin. I'm going to seriously think about going to New York next year. That would be so much fun!

Suzanne -- you are a reader's dream author. I've never met an author so generous with her time and so caring about her fans. Have a great weekend, and thanks soooo much for spending the week with us all! 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: Hot Pursuit

pegmit wrote:

Hi Suz, Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the book. The teeth thing was pretty scary for me, but I made it through that part (I remember some TV show where the bad guy did that to a woman, can't remember which one, whether it was Twilight Zone, or something icky like that - but yuk. I can still remember the visual).

The Sam and Alyssa interaction was wonderful to read. I love how Alyssa now can allow Sam to unleash his inner caveman. I was pretty sure Sam had learned how to THINK before he said a lot of things to her, but I wasn't so sure that Alyssa would have been able to let some of the defense mechanisms she had in place go. Basically, I loved how in tune they were with each other.

That scene at the barricades was a perfect microcosm of the two of them and their relationship - I deeply loved that. How was that to write?

And Dan and Jenn: looking forward to the continuation. Dan's a fascinating character. I wasn't sure what to expect from him, given his behaviour with Izzy and Eden. Time to go back and read that book again and see his character from a different pov.

Maria and Lopez?

And just what IS Martell doing all this time. He doesn't seem like the quiet type, somehow.

I loved the Jules and Robin interaction. Interesting to hear Jules use the F word, because he very rarely does in my memory.

Thanks for the Hank recommendation. I hadn't read any yet, but will. Good luck with the packing and moving, sounds arduous. PS Mitchell

Message Edited by pegmit on 08-07-2009 12:12 PM

Hey, Peggy!

Arduous -- great word.

And you're right -- Jules is careful with his use of the F-word. 

Glad you liked Dan (or at least found him interesting).  Lotta baggage being lugged around by that young man, that's for sure.  (Stay tuned to find out more...)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

JulesDaphne wrote:

Suz,

One more question, if I mayOccasionally in the past, I have seen that you offered a critique of a manuscript in a charity auctionI would like to know if any of those manuscripts from winning bids eventually became published books.

Thanks again!

Jules

P.S. I apologize for the font of my last post (it looked like I was shouting or at least speaking in an annoyingly loud voice) and for this one if it comes out too large or dark.  I'm not sure how it's set in these message boxes.  

Jules,

Actually, your font was tiny, which meant you were whispering. <g>

So far I don't know of any critiques that have turned into published books, but I can tell you that two writers who took a writing course I gave some years back are now published.  That was cool!  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Pegmit -- Oh, the teeth. Those were sooo creepy, especially when he ran his finger over Alyssa's nice white teeth. Yeeulch!

The worst part for me -- scariest -- was when it was mentioned that the Dentist sometimes removed his victim's entire lower jaw. This hit me hard because my uncle, who smoked his whole life, got cancer of the jaw and had to have his lower jaw removed and a prosthetic one built. I know what he went through with that to save his life -- he was given four months to live eight years ago -- but imagining someone doing that to a live victim. Okay, nightmare time.

I wonder if Suzanne had a scary dentist experience as a kid that inspired this guy, or if she saw Marathon Man and kept that movie in the back of her mind. 

I definitely have dentistphobia, although my dentist is the kindest, gentlest man.  

But it did start back when I was a kid.  I remember when I came home from college my freshman year, my mother dropped me off at the dentist.  I went in, but no one was there, and just sitting in the waiting room freaked me out so badly, I thought I might pass out.  So I went outside to get some air -- and just never went back in.  

And you know those stress dreams, where all your teeth are falling out, like chicklets in the palm of your hand?  Yup.  I've had those dreams.  Lots.  And lots.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: It's Friday!

1AnneB wrote:

Great article Suz ! Is that the t-shirt you were talking about the other night?  - I can't quite make out the words/graphics.

Becke - I meant what I said about a "field trip" to NYC. I think it would be a hoot to go with a bunch of  "Suz fans" - maybe one of the Q & A nights.

Anne

that shirt is my HRC "talk about it" shirt. 

I have a necklace with the same = sign logo.  (I'm wearing it right now!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

idahoSA wrote:

I have a question on Hot Pursuit. I don't know if I was just soooo excited about reading the book that I missed this point or what but I never understood how the homeless guy had a picture (or two) of Alyssa. I am so glad Izzy is finally going to find a woman to take care of, love and protect his heart. And can I just say back to you---Sam Starrett!

It's in there -- it's just not explained outright.  

Remember how the killer says he liked to carry around a picture of Alyssssa?   And one time Van almost caught him looking at it, but it got swept into the garbage?

Well, the homeless man was a frequent dumpster diver, right?  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: It's Friday!

Kriscita wrote:

Thanks for the link to a great article.  I love that you mention the library's influence!  We're a big library family and  a good library can be such a tremendous resource.  I'm not ashamed to say that I had to politely stalk our library to quickly process their copies of HP so I could read it and I'm loving it (as if there was any doubt)!

And thanks a bunch for taking the time this week to answer all the questions and chat given your packing and busy schedule.  It is really appreciated!

Kriscita,

My local (and school) library was a place where I could go and always be safe.  (Plus, nothing like a good book to help you escape...)

It's been a pleasure chatting with all of you!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

JulesDaphne wrote:

Regarding the homeless man with the pictureWe learned from the killer's POV that he liked to have Alyssa's picture with him so he could take it out and look at it throughout the dayOne day at the office he was almost caught with it and it ended up in the garbage can which was emptied before he had a chance to retrieve the photoThe homeless man was known to take things out of the dumpster and that must be how he ended up with the photo...

I know that when the homeless man was in Jenn's car at the start, my first thought was that was the killer from the office in disguiseA red herring for readers as well as for Sam and AlyssaVery cleverly plotted, indeed

Wow, you said that sooo much better than I did, but yes, exactly.

Thank you!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

queenie_m wrote:

Hi, Suz -  I discovered you and your books via the Dreadnaughts (you must know DNs love you!) a few years ago and my life has truly been richer for it. Thank you.

You said you knew after you wrote the bathroom scene that Decker and Sophia weren't going to hook up.  I thought this was going to be a messy couple, but I believed that you could make it happen.

Pre-Into the Storm, I thought you were setting up a Tracy and Izzy pairing.  

The Decker/Sophia shipper in me, and to a lesser degree, the Izzy/Tracy shipper in me, was surprised when you paired Decker with Tracy.

However, I love, love, love Decker and Tracy!  I'm very happy that you brought them together.  They're one of my favorite couples.  When I finished reading DoN, I felt as if the TS world was just as it should be.

Oh, I still think you could have written a believable and wonderful Decker/Sophia and Izzy/Tracy book, but as I mentioned to other DNs, it's as if I was heading for Rome and somehow ended up in Paris, both beautiful cities.

The last time you were on Center Stage you had said that you created Tracy for Decker.  She really is perfect for him.  Tracy has grown so much since we first met her.  She's Troubleshooters' Donna Moss, isn't she?  Her intelligence and strengths are easily and initially overlooked because she's surrounded by all these Type A overachievers.

Anyway, I'll add my voice to the chorus asking for a Decker and Tracy short story.

Until then, I'm wondering if you had any Tracy/Decker centric deleted scenes that didn't make it to the final book that you can share with us.  Surely you wrote - even if it was only in your head - the scene when Decker first climbed through Tracy's window after their fight.  What about when Decker tries to make her feel better after Dog chewed her new pair of Jimmy Choos?  Or when... :smileysurprised:

Thanks again for the hours of enjoyment!

-Q

Message Edited by queenie_m on 08-07-2009 04:20 PM

Hey, nice to see you here!

Dreadnaughts rock!

You know, one of the most interesting things about writing an ongoing series is figuring out why I do certain things.  Sometimes I'll find myself writing a scene and I won't know why I felt it needed to be in the book just like that -- until three books down the road.  

Sometimes I know exactly what I'm doing -- it's an interesting mix.  But either way, I've learned to trust my instincts!

Tracy/Decker short story -- I'm sensing a pattern here...

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

Suz, here's a writing question for you-

When you are writing the first draft, do you just write straight through and then edit, or do you edit as you go? I'm writing straight through, then the next day, I make notes of what to change for the second draft. I figure if I keep trying to fix it as I write it, I'll never get done. But is that a good method?

West,

It's a great method -- if it works well for you!

I write a very clean first draft because I outline extensively.  I also start my writing day by reading (and polishing) the pages I wrote the day before.  

But sometimes, when I'm really cooking and the words are flying onto the page, I'll use a legal pad marked "Revisions" where I'll list things I know I'll have to change or fix -- because stopping to do it right then will interrupt the flow.  SOunds like that's what's going on with you.

And even if it's not -- it still sounds as if it's working for you!  

Write on!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

bookreader1981 wrote: 

At what book did they start coming out in Hard Cover instead of Paperback???

Thanks again for all the great information!

There were bookclub HC editions, starting with THE DEFIANT HERO, right up until INTO THE NIGHT.  

INTO THE NIGHT had a simultaneous hardcover "library" edition, printed with the paperback, which I thought was interesting.

GONE TOO FAR was the first book published in hardcover.

Hope that helps!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

queenie_m wrote:

queenie_m wrote:

Pre-Into the Storm, I thought you were setting up a Tracy and Izzy pairing.  

When I wrote Pre-Into the Storm, I should have written Pre-Into the Fire.

*shakes head*

- Q

Yeah, but I knew what you meant.   Because Tracy wasn't around pre-into the storm. 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I went to watch a movie with my husband, and come back to see all these posts! Sorry I missed the fun.

How was your drive, Suzanne? I hope the traffic wasn't bad the whole way. 

Traffic was great on the trip home.  But my online access vanished in Northern CT.  

Thank you again, Becke, for moderating!  It's been a blast!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Brandye wrote:

Suze,

I have been a fan for a few years and just recently signed up for your newsletter and found out about this BN Center Stage Event. I'm so glad I made it in time to post a comment at least I hope I make it. I have to type fast, I know.

I just wanted to tell you that I adore your books! I really connect with your style and you have become my gold standard storyteller! I'll be reading another author's book (I read way too much!!!) and I find myself skipping parts that go into too much scenery detail or background detail or repetivitive detail, but I don't need to do this with your books. Ever! It's so rare for me to not do that! In fact, I read your books over because I know I had to have missed things or the dialogue is so snappy and witty that I just have to! It's crazy how awesome you are at intertwining all the bits and pieces and you make it so real and believable. I read that you write from page 1 and go forward. Amazing! I'm not a writer so these little things I've read about through the posts her and on fB are really interesting to me. I'm just in awe....  

I also wanted to let you know that I love the fact that you seem to be such a great human being! By this I mean, you are actively devoted to great causes, obviously not just a great Mom, but a GREAT MOM, and you're incredibly funny to boot. And you love dogs! (Seriously, that used to be my one of my tie-breaker interview questions for new employees---if they didn't love dogs, they were questionnable!!)

Anyway, I could gush and gush, but I wanted you to know how thrilled I am to learn about you, your activities and events and little bits about your family and friends! You're a superstar in my book and I love that I totally admire and respect you. (I hope that does not sound condescending!)  

I hope your NY Adventure is really fun for you (and your family!) I'll be squeezing some more reads out of your TS series and looking forward to your upcoming books, especially your 3-book series!

Brandye (St. Louis)

Hey, Brandye.

I know what you mean about the dog thing.  (My daughter once dated a boy and the dogs that we had at that time REALLY didn't like him.  It got my hackles up, too...)

Thanks for your comment -- I really appreciate your thoughts and your kindness!

-- Suz

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Do you realize that 2,200 people have viewed this thread in the past five days? That is unreal! Well, I'm off to bed. Suzanne, this has been SUCH a fun week! And what a great group -- I hope you'll all come back next time Suzanne visits Center Stage, and in the meantime, come back and visit me over at the Mystery Book Club.

I'm on Twitter: Becke_Davis

And on Facebook I use my pen name, Becke Martin. I'm going to seriously think about going to New York next year. That would be so much fun!

Suzanne -- you are a reader's dream author. I've never met an author so generous with her time and so caring about her fans. Have a great weekend, and thanks soooo much for spending the week with us all! 

Becke (and everyone!),

It has been SUCH a pleasure chatting with you!

Thank you all so much -- and I'll see you next time!

Love,

Suz