Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

WestM wrote:

Yikes, West.

How about if I promise, based on my undying love for Jules Cassidy, that I won"t be able to stay away from the series?  

Okay. The Oath of Jules Cassidy will work in place of the Oath of Whedon.

Whew!  (personally, I think an Oath based on love vs. an Oath based on fear is a much better thing!)

And I do love Joss Whedon so very, very, very much.  

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

shazy131 wrote:

Quick Quesdion Suz,

I was wondering....now that Washington DC will recognize gay marriages that are performed in states where it is legal, and Robin's show is on hiatus, will Jules and Robin move back to help Jules career? (not that Jules' career needs it).

Jules Rocks!

I'm not sure it's official yet in DC.  (I should check.)  I had my eye on that for a while, thinking in terms of future plots.  

We'll have to see.  I do have at least one more story line in mind for Jules and Robin, but I'm not sure where that book would be best set...  Hmmm.   

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

"Maybe next time I"ll make a videoblog, recording the entire process from my end.  Addressing all the envelopes, picking up the books from the bookstore, bringing them home and fitting them into my dining room, and then the actual signing, packaging and the trip to the PO.  (Trips to the PO.  500 plus books take up a lot of space in the car!)"

Suzanne - I, for one, had never envisioned how much work this involved for you. THANK YOU! 

Oh, I totally love doing it.  But I pretty much do it all myself (except for the going to the PO part.  Ed and Eric usually do that.)  

Ooh, and I have a story to tell about their habit of giving each other nicknames. Which is a total off topic change of subject, I know.  My brain just skipped, I think.

But Eric was over this afternoon, and (there was a lot of shouting and laughter involved) while he was here, Ed decreed that Eric's new nickname should be "Numbnut," whereas Ed's would be "Numbnuts."  

See, there was this thing that happened with HOT PURSUIT which was a little disappointing.  Because I write slang and use made up words, I have a permanent request in to the copy editing and proof reading department at my publisher, asking (begging?) that no one makes any changes to the book without checking with me.  I'm talking about adding a comma or "fixing" something.  Over the last few books we've done okay, but this time around?  Not so much with the checking things with me...

Like, oh, say, page 30, where Jenn refers to her large size as being Amazon-like, but not a good Amazon like Xena, but one with support hose and cankles?  Well, someone went through the book and "fixed" all of the mistakes like cankles.  It should be ankles, right?    (No, thanks, but NO!)

There were around 20 such changes made (left as little surprises for me to find as I read through the book!), each more frustrating than that last, but none as annoying as a "fix" later in the book. 

It's the scene where Jenn and Dan are talking and he says something like "you gotta be careful about the heat of passion that's created when danger has just passed.  If you're not careful, you'll mistake that adrenaline rush for love and rush off and get married.  And then two weeks later, you'll wake up and wonder who this numbnuts is, lying next to you in bed."

Numbnuts.  It refers to the male anatomy, right?  Numb.  Nuts.  Numbnuts.  Plural.  Two of 'em.

Well, someone fixed it to read "numbnut," as if Dan were perhaps referring to a different part of his anatomy.  Numbscull, perhaps?   Maybe he'd say that IF HE WASN"T A TWENTY-SOMETHING YEAR OLD NAVY SEAL.  Perhaps if he lived in a monastary and only read books printed prior to 1935.

But Jenn not only repeats the expression (changed now to numbnut) but then says something like "Seeing how I'm completely nutless..." 

It's right there -- in context.  Numbnuts.  Nuts.  Nutless.   WTF?!?

Anyway, I was pretty pissed about this -- way to make me look like an idiot.  Or an eleven year old girl, right?  Sheesh. 

So I told Eric about it because I wanted to vent, and I knew he would think it was funny -- the idea that someone would "fix" my book that way to something so ridiculously wrong.  (He's an expert in guy talk, so he really understood my pain.)  (But he did point out that a numbnut plus another numbnut equals two numbnuts -- which he thought was pretty freaking funny.) (I didn't.  That's my name on that book where I have a Navy SEAL saying "Numbnut.")

Anyway, he and Ed started riffing on what it meant to be a numbnut, singular (which, okay, WAS funny), and it was shortly thereafter that Ed announced that Numbnut was going to be Eric's new nickname.   Eric then countered that Numbnuts would be Ed's.  They both seemed to be just a little too pleased with this, which is when I went back upstairs.  

By the way, the dedication of HOT PURSUIT was to Hot Potato Two Shoes (which is Ed's hobo name -- a distinct type of nickname) and Stealy Eff (which is Eric's hobo name.)  And that "Eff" is the short (polite) form of that other word that starts with an F -- the one that used to be Sam's favorite?   (A nickname that one can't use in front of one's mother!)

And there's definitely a story as to Eric's "Stealy Eff" nickname, but you'll have to ask him.  I'm sure he'll make up something good.  (I'll try to get him to drop in over the next few days.)   

Numbnut.  Sheesh.

P.S.  We'll fix it if there's a second printing.  And it'll definitely get fixed (back! fixed BACK) in the paperback version of the book.  (Plus we're making sure this doesn't happen again.)

Okay -- the dogs are barking!  I'll be back tomorrow, gang!  See you then!

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Daddy was a cop -- on the southside of Chicago...

How about BILLY DON"T BE A HERO?  (I think Izzy knows all of the words to that one, too.)

Do you have older siblings?  I think kids who grow up with older brothers and sisters who are really into music end up with a more vast library of memorized songs.  Kind of a result of singing along to Inna Gada Da Vida at age two, instead of "Jack and Jill" or "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."  (Not my intention to diss those two children's songs, just an observation.)

Actually, I do. Not as many as Izzy has, but we are working the vast age difference thing. There's 16 years between my oldest sister and me, and 22 years between my half sister and me. Plus, my parents grew up in the '50s, so I had their influences, as well. Not to mention I'm just naturally musically inclined, and it's hard to find music I don't like.

I think it's part of why I identify with Izzy so well (youngest child syndrome). My theory (and yes, I know you're not saying) is that part of the reason Izzy is so obnoxious is that he grew up without a lot of attention, since his older siblings were getting married and having kids while he himself was a kid. I know the feeling (my neice and nephew from my half sister are both older than me). So I think getting into trouble and being loud is Izzy's way of getting attention (just MHO.)

P.S. -Deck, Tracy, short story. Begging will offically commence.. in three, two, one...

Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

I also love Kenny and Savannah and would really like to know more on Kenny's recovery (I've been very worried about him).  Also I would love a child for Jules and Robin (adopted or maybe a long lost love child of Robin's, before he was sober).  And am correct in that the secret love of Tony Vlachick is Jules' exPlease tell me it's not, because I really don't like him, he is not a nice person.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm thinking "numbnut" should be a secret password. What for? Not a clue. But I'm going to remember it -- just in case!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Go ahead and post questions for tomorrow's visit, but this is just to remind everyone that Suzanne is signing off for the day. See you in the morning!
Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'm thinking "numbnut" should be a secret password. What for? Not a clue. But I'm going to remember it -- just in case!

Oooh, I know what for! The super-sexy, secret underground organization I'm trying to get Suz to put together, to publish the last four TDD books. I've been trying to get her behind this since DON. We're going to be all clandestine and sexy and have a secret code name. And now we have a password. Come on! Who's with me?

Contributor
HMareeDavis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ack. The previous message disappeared. I'm talking about Sam here.

Oh yeah. I think he's hotter now than ever!

Of course I seem to be developing a better appreciation of the more mature male these days.

Message Edited by HMareeDavis on 08-03-2009 09:19 PM
H! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

balloon wrote:
I have just finished Hot Pusuit  and loved it.. I find Dam to be caring all the while letting her do her own thing without crowding her. I liked Dan story also. Looking forward to hearing more about it.Thiis is my first time and am not sure where to send questioms to Ms Brockman. I they do not belong here please let me know so I can get them answered. 1 How tall is Jules and love his character as well as Robin. 2 Another book for next summer or earlier 3 What happens to Decker and Tracy 3 I only get the recorded version and only Micheal plays a good Sam and why cant the woman play the female parts and the male parts. Please let me know how to proceed

Hey, balloon, you're totally in the right place for asking questions. 

Let's see -- 1)  Jules is pretty short  and I'm glad you love him and Robin, too.

2)  Next summer will see the release of GALLAGHER'S CLAIM, a paperback original, stand alone.

3) I've gotten such a strong response to the Tracy/Decker pairing!  I know a lot of readers would like to see more of them!

4)  Ah, so you're an audiobook listener!  I happen to love both Michael Holland (who reads ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT) and Patrick Lawlor who reads the other books in the series with  either Melanie Eubanks or Renee Raudman.  All four of them are excellent narrators.  I think it's just a subjective taste thing -- I really love the male/female narrators.

A cool note:  Michael Holland has always been "the voice of Jules" for me.  He's a singer/songwriter living in NYC and I was so jazzed when he agreed to narrate the audiobook.  

And... I also realized when I first wrote from Izzy's point of view, that I was writing him for Patrick to read.  Patrick's got EXACTLY the right sense of humor to read Izzy -- he gets the candence of Izzy's language perfectly.  It's always a treat to hear him ready Izzy's scenes!

Oh great, now I have to buy the audiobooks just to hear the voices of Jules and Izzy! LOL! 

Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

I love Izzy!! He says what everyone else is thinking but to PC to say! I feel better about Dan but I still don't like his attitude toward his sisterI mean come on she was just a kidI think as an older brother he should have stepped up instead of writing her off.
Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

I agree Kenny and Savannah rock! And I love Cosmo, he really is the total package. I love a man that can handle a crying child. Probably why I like Izzy so much too, if babies love him he can't be too bad.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

HMareeDavis wrote:

Ack. The previous message disappeared. I'm talking about Sam here.

Oh yeah. I think he's hotter now than ever!

Of course I seem to be developing a better appreciation of the more mature male these days.

Message Edited by HMareeDavis on 08-03-2009 09:19 PM

I'm with you on that!

Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

Yeah, I agree, don't like Maria.  I mean "marry me so we can have a baby that I don't want and oh yeah why aren't you an officer" WTF? 
Contributor
enoree
0 Kudos

Yes!  But if Tony is dating Jules' ex, can she change my mind about him, cause I really don't like him?  Wait, what was I thinking? it's Suzanne Brockmann of course she can, she is sooo good! LOL!
New User
beki_k
0 Kudos

Hi Suz,

I just wanted to say hello and that I really, really loved Hot Pursuit. I can't wait for Izzy's book! I am really looking forward to all the new things you will be writing while taking a break from the TS series.

My favorite couple is Jules and Robin followed by Sam and Alyssa who just bumped Stan and Teri to third with Hot Pursuit.

I also wanted to say hi to Becke---I think we just met recently and traded stories on the spelling of our nicknames. :smileyhappy: 

Beki

Sej
Contributor
Sej
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

Yikes, West.

How about if I promise, based on my undying love for Jules Cassidy, that I won"t be able to stay away from the series?  

Okay. The Oath of Jules Cassidy will work in place of the Oath of Whedon.

LMAO!  I'll be your second witness to this Oath of JC, West!  Hilarious!  :smileyvery-happy:
Suz (may I call you Suz?) please don't leave us hanging, I am dying to hear more about George.  You still gotta give us G!   :smileysad:
Oh and did you happen to get my mental msg about Tracy and Deck?  DeckTracy?  That flows don't you think?  All aboard DeckTracy, say aye!!  So repeat after me:  DeckTracy=shortstory, DeckTracy=shortstory, DeckTracy=shortstory.  Full length novel works too!   :smileywink:

Sej
Contributor
Sej
0 Kudos

WestM wrote: 

P.S. -Deck, Tracy, short story. Begging will offically commence.. in three, two, one...

Begging continues... 

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Sej wrote:

WestM wrote: 

Begging continues... 

That's it, sweetie. We'll double team her. You start the begging now (I would, but I've got to go finish chapter two), and I'll take over in the morning, how's that sound?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

beki_k wrote:

Hi Suz,

I just wanted to say hello and that I really, really loved Hot Pursuit. I can't wait for Izzy's book! I am really looking forward to all the new things you will be writing while taking a break from the TS series.

My favorite couple is Jules and Robin followed by Sam and Alyssa who just bumped Stan and Teri to third with Hot Pursuit.

I also wanted to say hi to Becke---I think we just met recently and traded stories on the spelling of our nicknames. :smileyhappy: 

Beki

Hi Beki - I saw your name here and figured there could only be one person with that spelling! I'm so glad you stopped by!