Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mari_D
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:
WestM wrote:

my reread will have to wait, because I'm trying to write my first book, and I have this rule... never read an author who could influence my writing while I'm actually trying to write. And Suz is definitely one of those authors (what's she done for my perception on POV... well, I just don't have the words). So until I either a) finish this book or b) come to a natural breaking point, no Suz books for me.

Hey West,

I remember you from the SBBB and always enjoyed your posts.  You seem to be a very astute person with very definite ideas.  Congratulations on starting your book.  Are you writing under your own name?  I don't want to miss it when some smart Publishing house picks it up.

Mari D

New User
queenie_m
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Suz -  I discovered you and your books via the Dreadnaughts (you must know DNs love you!) a few years ago and my life has truly been richer for it. Thank you.

You said you knew after you wrote the bathroom scene that Decker and Sophia weren't going to hook up.  I thought this was going to be a messy couple, but I believed that you could make it happen.

Pre-Into the Storm, I thought you were setting up a Tracy and Izzy pairing.  

The Decker/Sophia shipper in me, and to a lesser degree, the Izzy/Tracy shipper in me, was surprised when you paired Decker with Tracy.

However, I love, love, love Decker and Tracy!  I'm very happy that you brought them together.  They're one of my favorite couples.  When I finished reading DoN, I felt as if the TS world was just as it should be.

Oh, I still think you could have written a believable and wonderful Decker/Sophia and Izzy/Tracy book, but as I mentioned to other DNs, it's as if I was heading for Rome and somehow ended up in Paris, both beautiful cities.

The last time you were on Center Stage you had said that you created Tracy for Decker.  She really is perfect for him.  Tracy has grown so much since we first met her.  She's Troubleshooters' Donna Moss, isn't she?  Her intelligence and strengths are easily and initially overlooked because she's surrounded by all these Type A overachievers.

Anyway, I'll add my voice to the chorus asking for a Decker and Tracy short story.

Until then, I'm wondering if you had any Tracy/Decker centric deleted scenes that didn't make it to the final book that you can share with us.  Surely you wrote - even if it was only in your head - the scene when Decker first climbed through Tracy's window after their fight.  What about when Decker tries to make her feel better after Dog chewed her new pair of Jimmy Choos?  Or when... :smileysurprised:

Thanks again for the hours of enjoyment!

-Q

Message Edited by queenie_m on 08-07-2009 04:20 PM

Expect the absolute best from everyone, and prepare to be surprised at how far
they'll surpass those expectations.
- Max Bhagat, BREAKING POINT
Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Mari_D wrote:

Hey West,

I remember you from the SBBB and always enjoyed your posts.  You seem to be a very astute person with very definite ideas.  Congratulations on starting your book.  Are you writing under your own name?  I don't want to miss it when some smart Publishing house picks it up.

Mari D

Wow, Mari, thank you (I remember you too! I miss everyone there). I am planning on using my middle name, not my first (because, really, who believes my parents named me Westerleigh?), so when I get published (and I do mean when, because I will not give up, even if it takes until I'm 40) I'll be using Campbell MacGregor.

Contributor
WestM
0 Kudos

Suz, here's a writing question for you-

When you are writing the first draft, do you just write straight through and then edit, or do you edit as you go? I'm writing straight through, then the next day, I make notes of what to change for the second draft. I figure if I keep trying to fix it as I write it, I'll never get done. But is that a good method?

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

gaharleygirl wrote:

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

gaharleygirl wrote:

Hi Suz,

Wow! What a thrill to be able to send you a note and tell you how much I enjoy reading and re-reading your books. Havent read HP yet, but I was thrilled to see my signed copy  in my mail when I returned from vacation :smileyhappy: 

Can I just say that I LOVE all the books, - the depth of all your characters, they are so colorful and full of life to me - the action is so intense...the books are just so-  As you say they are like chocolate covered crack LOL...

But aside from your books, which all here have professed our love of, I also enjoy reading your booklets with your writer tips.  I know that you have posted your busy schedule already, but I am hopeful that you can squeak in an online seminar, or post us writer-wannabe-Suz-junkies some morsel of your writing wisdom is some format... :smileywink:

Thanks for spending some time here, and best wishes for continued success !!

Thank you!

I'm hoping to revise the Troubleshooters Readers Guide and make it available as an Extras booklet for Izzy's book.  

ANd I do like to include a section for writers (we like to distribute the booklets at RWA, too).  

I've been talking about the idea of writing a book about writing for some time now.  It's still in planning stages, but it's something that I'd really like to do.  (The goal is to cowrite it with a friend and make it interesting to nonwriters, too.)

In the meantime, though, you might want to check out the RWA audio library from the national conference.  I did a workshop on writing the non-traditional romance (diversity in romance) and there were a lot of really interesting questions asked.  

AND... I'm the keynote speaker for a RWA chapter conference in Ohio in 2010.  (I got that totally wrong on the facebook chat.  I suck at math.  I knew it was two years away, except, it was too years away back in 2008.  Oopsie.   SO it's definitely going to happen in October 2010 in Columbus, Ohio.  

I'm sure I'll be doing a workshop or two at that conference -- it should be fun!

And I'm planning to attend RWA National next July in NASHVILLE.  (Thanks to Sue S. for reminding me that it's not in NYC.  I don't know why I thought that.  Maybe it's there the year after...?  

-- Suz

Yay! I'm planning on being in Nashville at RWA - hope to meet you there! and I will definately check out the audio library in the meantime...

thanks for your time and good luck on the move and all your exciting new projects -btw- I am SO ready to read Izzy's story... I've had a crush on him since he first popped into the books... just love him to pieces...he is by far my favorite character of all...

hugs to you !

I'll see you in Nashville, then! 

I can't wait for  Izzy's book, too!

-- Suz

(much easier writing from the road, without the glare!  The signing was lovely -- a friend of mine that I hadn't seen since 9th grade was there, which was extremely cool!)

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

bookreader1981 wrote:

Hello Suz,

First of all THANK YOU! for doing this kind of thing. You are one of a kind in making sure you do many things so your fans have access to ask you questions and receive responses.

I have been reading the TS series for a little over a year, and I patiently awaite each new book you write. I have heard you say before that if a reader starts in the middle of the series that is normally their favorite book, and I do believe you are right. My favorite is Hot Target! Not only was it my first TS book but it also itroduced us to Robin so we could now have Robin -n- Jules.

My question is, have all books come in the full size Hard Cover for TS series or have some only been paperback and book club hard covers. I am trying to complete my collection but I have only been able to find the book club hard covers for some of your earlier titles!

Thanks for all your time you give to us and I look forward to your new projects.

Thanks!

Becky ( My birthday is in August, but I always order myself an earlier birthday present in July! Its my yearly reward to myself!)

Hey, Becky

There are bookclub editions of all of the earlier TS books -- wit h the exception of THE UNSUNG HERO.  

But the good news is that you can get TUH in hardcover now -- it's just be released from headline books, my UK publisher.  THey've also put out a hardcover edition of THE DEFIANT HERO.  

You do have to order them from a UK bookseller, though.  ANd shipping can be expensive.  But there are copies out there now!  

Thanks for your kind words -- I always enjoy talking to readers!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

bookbearLT wrote:

Hi Suz,

I don't know what I am going to do about my TS withdrawals while I wait for another book to come out.  Can you recommend some authors or tell us who you like to read?

Laura

Hey, Laura.

I'm a huge JR Ward fan.

I also really love Virginia Kantra's "Children of the Sea" series.  Pure magic.

I mentioned Hank Philippi Ryan's Charlotte McNally series earlier in this discussion...

I'm also a big Carla Kelly fan.  She writes regency era historicals.  SHe's brilliant, IMO.

And of course, I'm an Ed Gaffney fan, too! <g>

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

LoveToReadMC wrote:

Suz, Just want to let you know how much I love your books. Reading is like a treasure hunt and when I found your books I discovered the entire treasure chest. I'm a big Cosmo & Jules fan and my favorite couples are Mike & Joan, Mark & Lindsey and Jules & Robin.  I look forward to reading your new series, but don't stay away from the TS series too long. 

Marva

Hi, Marva.

I promise I'll come back to the TS series.  Gotta write Jay Lopez's book...

THanks for your kind words!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Good Morning Everyone - Unlike Becke, I'm not the nightowl - so I've just caught up with last night's posts. 

Becke - That's a GREAT list of writers - everyone I like as well as some new ones, that I'll be sure to check out. Thanks too for the Barnes & Noble sites that you reccomend (sp?).

I may run out of shelf space ! This discussion has been so great - I hope we all meet again at some of those sites you suggested.

I'm going to try to see Suzanne's play in NYC next winter - I'm only 45 miles away and we go in frequently. Are there any others in the area that want to make it a field trip ????

Suz - Yesterday, I went to Jason's website for the first time - Boy ! it looks like he has a great future ahead of him. I loved the fact that he can burp on demand ! That is surely an ability that will propel him ahead of the others - LOL !!!!! Anyway, I've loved finally getting to know you a little after loving your books and admiring you for so long. Keep up the good work, enjoy your TS hiatus and have a safe trip.......

Anne B

PS -  Becke - I hope to see you again on other sites.

Ooh, isn't he adorable!  (Like I'm not biased!)

Back when he was tiny (he started acting when he was 8) he was able to recite much of the alphabet while burping, too.  Now THAT'S talent!!!!

Definitely plan field trips to LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES!  ANd let me know (via email!) when you're coming -- I'll make time to get together for a drink or desert afterwards!

We're also going to have a special ticket discount code for readers, so make sure you visit my website appearances page (www.SuzanneBrockmann.com/appearances.htm) to find out how to order tickets.  (Tickets should be on sale by late Oct, early Nov!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

shazy131 wrote:

Hi Becke,

Great list! You mentioned Nora Roberts, but you also might want to mention that she writes a GREAT romantic suspense series under the name of J D Robb. The first book is "naked in death" and there are about 27 books so far. I mention that series specifically, because anyone on this board who is drawn to Alyssa will love it. The heroine, Eve, is a very strong take no sh*t woman detective with a tortured past. She is very much loner in the beginning, and it is wonderful to watch her open up and grow. The other characters are great too. And her hero? Lets just say YUM! It takes place in the near future, but the futuristic is not overdone.

Suz - I am also traveling today - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your chat here. Safe travels to Fla, and please, write REALLY REALLY REALLY fast! I look forward to everything you write.

(BTW - in the new yesterday I read that the AMA is now recommending that psychiatrists not try to force gay-to-straight therapies, be honest that they don't work (DUH) and talk about choices: acceptance, SWITCHING CHURCHES, etc. Baby steps, but steps none the less.)

Take Care!

Safe travels back at ya!

(and yeah, I read about that, too!  Yay!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Good morning every one and Happy Friday,

I just wanted to stop by and say a BIG Thanks to Suzanne for answering mine and everyone's questions and for really being a great sport in the midst of the confusion she calls life. ;-)

Bye Suz, can't wait to read Hot Pursuit, yeah I'm one of the unlucky ones that haven't gotten it yet but you know what they say, the first sign that you know your on the road to recovery is if you know you have a problem and yes I'm an addict and I spend beyond my means so I have to put my book buying on a budget. I know it's sad, hey at least I don't have to wait for the paperback version to come out I just have to wait a couple of weeks.

Bye  Thanks!!!!!!!!! 

It was my pleasure chatting with you this week!

Hugs,

Suz

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

JulesDaphne wrote:

Suz,

While I was waiting for Hot Pursuit, I was in Florida so it seemed a perfect time to reread The Kissing GameI think the book has one of the best endings ever.  I absolutely love what Simon did at the end; it was so romantic (and funny, too)!

I loved Hot PursuitSPOILER ALERT...................................................................................................

I really appreciate that you introduced us to Dan and Jenn as a couple, but didn't try to resolve everything in a matter of days.  Obviously they have lots of issues to work through and it would be insulting to expect that a life threatening situation would result in a kiss and make-up solidly HEA situationI was disturbed by Jenn's thinking Dan's two week offer of pretending to be the perfect boyfriend was so much more special than a one night standI think she has some major esteem issues to work through and I was happy to see her take a step back at the end and recognize that she deserves a real relationshipI look forward to reading more about these two and I am really looking forward to the continuation of Izzy and Eden's story

Thank you for all the great storiesI have spend many, many happy hours reading and rereading them! Your characters are awesomeI love the way you let us into their heads with your different POVs and also the way you let us see how other's perceive them

Thanks for being here on Center Stage and answering so many questionsI love the numbnut story (I have to admit, when Dan said that, it did pull me out of the story and I reread that passage over but I couldn't tell you exactly what was wrong with it!)  Have fun in FloridaI love summer at the beach there -- I was in Ocean City, NJ yesterday and it was raining and the water was about 20 degrees colder than the Gulf.  But hey, any day at the beach is a great day!

I'll be looking for your show in NYCCan you tell us what it's about?

With great admiration and best wishes,

Jules    

P.SI know you have more in store for MariaI know you won't say, but I'm predicting Maria and Lew Koehl will end up together and she will have found not only a great political spouse but also the love/passion that she's given up on. Of course this will only occur after you torture them both into a place where they have not only earned but also gained the ability to recognize extreme happiness!

Hey, Jules,

I posted a link earlier, to a newspaper article that tells a little bit about LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES.  

Thanks for all of your kind words!!!!

-- Suz

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

FlygirlCyn wrote:

Hey Suz,

Just wanted to let you know that you're my all-time favorite author.  I was on vacation in the middle of nowhere for the release of Hot Pursuit and made a special road trip just to go buy your new book on the first day!  I don't know how I missed your appearance here on BN.  I really enjoyed Hot Pursuit....must say that I was nervous that it was going to be as disturbing as Into the Storm, but I was able to handle a few pages of Alyssa in captivity!!  Loved reading about Sam, Alyssa, Robin, and Jules again.  I was confused in this book on how Jenn could fall in love with Dan after hooking up with him in bed for a few hours.  Also, why would Maria think Izzy would be suitable for a political husband?  I just found this thread, so I haven't had time to read the previous posts yet (I have 4 boys under 4 running wild!).  I'm looking forward to hearing Jay's story.  Hope your break isn't forever.  I feel like these characters are real.  If they're in my mind this much, I wonder how it feels for you!!:smileyhappy:

Ah, but Jenn and Dan did so much more than sleep together.  They talked.  And talked.  And love isn't always practical, is it?

And remember, Maria hasn't read the other books, so what she saw of Izzy is a nice looking man who is great with babies.  Oh, and he has a good sense of humor.  He's in the military (she's from a military family herself.)  What's not to love?  <g>

Thanks for spending some of your vacation with HOT PURSUIT!

-- Suz

New User
bookreader1981
0 Kudos

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:

bookreader1981 wrote:

Hello Suz,

First of all THANK YOU! for doing this kind of thing. You are one of a kind in making sure you do many things so your fans have access to ask you questions and receive responses.

I have been reading the TS series for a little over a year, and I patiently awaite each new book you write. I have heard you say before that if a reader starts in the middle of the series that is normally their favorite book, and I do believe you are right. My favorite is Hot Target! Not only was it my first TS book but it also itroduced us to Robin so we could now have Robin -n- Jules.

My question is, have all books come in the full size Hard Cover for TS series or have some only been paperback and book club hard covers. I am trying to complete my collection but I have only been able to find the book club hard covers for some of your earlier titles!

Thanks for all your time you give to us and I look forward to your new projects.

Thanks!

Becky ( My birthday is in August, but I always order myself an earlier birthday present in July! Its my yearly reward to myself!)

Hey, Becky

There are bookclub editions of all of the earlier TS books -- wit h the exception of THE UNSUNG HERO.  

But the good news is that you can get TUH in hardcover now -- it's just be released from headline books, my UK publisher.  THey've also put out a hardcover edition of THE DEFIANT HERO.  

You do have to order them from a UK bookseller, though.  ANd shipping can be expensive.  But there are copies out there now!  

Thanks for your kind words -- I always enjoy talking to readers!

At what book did they start coming out in Hard Cover instead of Paperback???

Thanks again for all the great information!

New User
queenie_m
0 Kudos

queenie_m wrote:

Pre-Into the Storm, I thought you were setting up a Tracy and Izzy pairing.  

When I wrote Pre-Into the Storm, I should have written Pre-Into the Fire.

*shakes head*

- Q

Expect the absolute best from everyone, and prepare to be surprised at how far
they'll surpass those expectations.
- Max Bhagat, BREAKING POINT
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I went to watch a movie with my husband, and come back to see all these posts! Sorry I missed the fun.

How was your drive, Suzanne? I hope the traffic wasn't bad the whole way. 

Reader 4
Brandye
0 Kudos

Suze,

I have been a fan for a few years and just recently signed up for your newsletter and found out about this BN Center Stage Event. I'm so glad I made it in time to post a comment at least I hope I make it. I have to type fast, I know.

I just wanted to tell you that I adore your books! I really connect with your style and you have become my gold standard storyteller! I'll be reading another author's book (I read way too much!!!) and I find myself skipping parts that go into too much scenery detail or background detail or repetivitive detail, but I don't need to do this with your books. Ever! It's so rare for me to not do that! In fact, I read your books over because I know I had to have missed things or the dialogue is so snappy and witty that I just have to! It's crazy how awesome you are at intertwining all the bits and pieces and you make it so real and believable. I read that you write from page 1 and go forward. Amazing! I'm not a writer so these little things I've read about through the posts her and on fB are really interesting to me. I'm just in awe....  

I also wanted to let you know that I love the fact that you seem to be such a great human being! By this I mean, you are actively devoted to great causes, obviously not just a great Mom, but a GREAT MOM, and you're incredibly funny to boot. And you love dogs! (Seriously, that used to be my one of my tie-breaker interview questions for new employees---if they didn't love dogs, they were questionnable!!)

Anyway, I could gush and gush, but I wanted you to know how thrilled I am to learn about you, your activities and events and little bits about your family and friends! You're a superstar in my book and I love that I totally admire and respect you. (I hope that does not sound condescending!)  

I hope your NY Adventure is really fun for you (and your family!) I'll be squeezing some more reads out of your TS series and looking forward to your upcoming books, especially your 3-book series!

Brandye (St. Louis)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

bookbearLT wrote:

Wow Becke!  Thanks for the list.  A few of the names I recognize, but as I said I am a newbie, so many of them I don't.  I'll go hunting in my used book stores and then on-line for these.

Suz - It almost seems unfair for us to be continuing to converse when you are not on-line given that this is your show, but I know that when you do log back in you'll see these posts.  And in addition to Becke's great lists I'd still love to hear your opinion.  Of course I am not going to find another author who writes "just like Suzanne Brockman" because there is only one you and that is why your books are soooooo good.  But I figure that since I enjoy what you write so much I am likely to enjoy what you read.  If you don't find that too much of a personal question...

Laura

I think it's great that you're chatting while I'm not here.  One of the coolest things about being a writer is watching readers connect with each other.  

I once did a signing in a 'burb of a city, then returned to that same store a year later -- to find that the group of women who'd been at that first signing had been meeting regularly for lunch during the past year.  How cool is that?!?  Friendships forged -- that's a wonderful thing.

And I answered the "who I like to read list above"  -- just scroll up a bit.

I should add SEP to the list.  Her latest is on my TBR pile right now.

And Jess Andersen.  I really like her 2012 series, too.  Check her out.  

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Cindy is another great romantic suspense author.

Okay, since Suzanne isn't with us yet -- she'll be here later -- let's talk about her non-Troubleshooter books for a bit.

I've been reading her reissues, and I read many of them the first time around. Then there are her books like Bodyguard, which I believe has been steadily in print since it first came out, and there's also her earlier military series.

Have you read those books? Which were your favorites? I also thought Kiss and Tell was a great story! 

Hey, Becke!  Thanks for continuing the discussion!  

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out which is my personal fav of the non-TS books, and I think it just might be TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE, my time travel romance.

But the Sunrise Key Trilogy (KISS & TELL, THE KISSING GAME and OTHERWISE ENGAGED) are in a tie for second place!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Of those books, BODY LANGUAGE is a personal favorite of mine, also LETTERS TO KELLY, which I forgot to list below.

Letters to Kelly  

I recently reread UNDERCOVER PRINCESS, which also didn't come up in my earlier search:

Undercover Princess  

Forbidden and Freedom's Price go together, and some of the other books connect, too.

I'm not sure if I've read Future Perfect, but it sounds awfully familiar. I was reading a LOT of romance when it came out, and I'm wondering if I may even have a copy of it someplace. Time to dig through those boxes of books again! 

Oh, and yeah.  These two books are also personal favs.  LETTERS TO KELLY was written at around the same time as GALLAGHER'S CLAIM, the book that I'll be rewriting.