Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
shazy131
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Quick Quesdion Suz,

I was wondering....now that Washington DC will recognize gay marriages that are performed in states where it is legal, and Robin's show is on hiatus, will Jules and Robin move back to help Jules career? (not that Jules' career needs it).

Jules Rocks!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:

suz - thanks for the answer.  now i have another question that i thought of last night while in bed.... when you wrote the short story "when jenk, izzy, gillman, and lopez met tony vlachic" did you know at that point in time tony was gay?

aza

Aza,

I honestly don"t remember when I realized that Tony was the "tadpole" that Sam kept trying to set up Jules with.

But I do know that, when I wrote that story, I didn"t assume that he WASN"T gay!

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:
 Aza_T wrote:

re: maria.  i think she is going to be hp's dr. jo.  i didn't like jo at all in itf, but she sort of redeemed herself to me in don. so we'll have to see about maria, but i didn't like her really at all myself.

aza

I think it's interesting the way Suzanne can make us dislike a character at first, then she makes them sympathetic later. It's like in the books with the Sam-Mary Lou-Alyssa arc. Initially, I really couldn't stand Mary Lou, but later I felt sad for her.

becke - i think that is exactly it.  i too wasn't very fond of mary-lou but at the end of gtf you have a better understanding of her and don't dislike her as much.  dr. jo will be interesting if she comes back, she's still not fully redeemed to me but she's not the devil like she was either.  maria we'll have to find out... all i know is suz will defineately make it interesting.

aza

Thanks, gang!

And think of all of the things that we know about Maria that are admirable, including:  She"s from a military family -- two brothers and her father served. Anyone who's grown up with a father in the service knows that she sacrificed a lot as a child. (hey!  Apostrophe worked!)  

There's quite a lot of good in her, but she's not perfect and won't make mistakes (like most people...)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

HMareeDavis wrote:

I just wanted to congratulate Suz on yet another brilliantly written book. Loved Hot Pursuit as much as everything else Brockmann! (Except perhaps for Hot Target, my all time favourite for no particular reason . . . Cosmo . . . Jules POV . . . Cosmo's mother . . . alright, for too many reasons to list.)

I've said before that if Suz wrote cereal box copy the family would eat breakfast 3 meals a day. I'm sure they'll be glad that she's turning to new projects that won't affect their eating patterns. 

Looking forward to seeing where Suz takes us next.

Message Edited by HMareeDavis on 08-03-2009 06:44 PM

There was something special about that book, wasn't there? It had a different "feel" to it, for some reason. But I have a hard time picking favorites. I love them all!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"Maybe next time I"ll make a videoblog, recording the entire process from my end.  Addressing all the envelopes, picking up the books from the bookstore, bringing them home and fitting them into my dining room, and then the actual signing, packaging and the trip to the PO.  (Trips to the PO.  500 plus books take up a lot of space in the car!)"

Suzanne - I, for one, had never envisioned how much work this involved for you. THANK YOU! 

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Aza_T wrote:

re: maria.  i think she is going to be hp's dr. jo.  i didn't like jo at all in itf, but she sort of redeemed herself to me in don. so we'll have to see about maria, but i didn't like her really at all myself.

aza

I think it's interesting the way Suzanne can make us dislike a character at first, then she makes them sympathetic later. It's like in the books with the Sam-Mary Lou-Alyssa arc. Initially, I really couldn't stand Mary Lou, but later I felt sad for her.

Exactly,
She's always making me change my mind about a character. 

Because, remember, everything that you read in my books is colored by another character's perception.  There's no "narrator's voice of truth" -- the truth that is spoken is subjective.  So if you only hear about, say, Dan from Izzy or Eden, you're going to get a biased interpretation of his every word.  (Yes, okay, he says some jerky things -- that's all on Dan, but until I let you inside of his head, you can't know the pain he's feeling or the emotions that make him say said jerkish thing.)

Remember in INTO THE STORM, we get to see Danny through Sophia's eyes.  And we see this somewhat sweet "disney perfect hero" type guy. 

That old saying is true, too -- nobody's the villian of their own story...

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
She can also have me completely convinced that two people are made for each other, and then over the course of a few books I realize that, no, they would never have worked out. And then she brings in the REAL person who can bring them happiness, and she convinces me this was the right match all along!

Glad to hear that, Becke!

And again, when two characters win their HEA, much of the book is from their two points of view.  So you get to see through their eyes and feel exactly what they're feeling.  We stop guessing as readers, at that point, and we KNOW.  Right?

By the way, I'm going to boogie out of here around 8:15-ish.  My friends Bill and Jodie are coming over and we're going to watch the final two episode of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.  (Season 4.5 came out on July 28th, which was so convenience, since I was at the local BN, doing the lauch signing for HOT PURSUIT!   We've been glomming the eps ever since.  I'm really good at avoiding spoilers, which I've done, yet I'm not convinced that I'm going to be happy with the way this show looks like it's going to end.  (And okay, face it -- I know that I'm just plain not going to be happy with the fact that it's ending, period.)

I'll be back tomorrow, in the late morning, and then again at dinner time!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Re: Maria in Hot Pursuit

pegmit wrote:
I found Maria quite intriguing.  Will we see more of her?  People seem to be viewing her with ambivalence.  Is that as you intended?  She seemed like a real person to me.

Hey, Pegmit! 

Nope, I really liked her, too.  But I think the "hitting on Izzy while married" thing is a hot button for quite a few people.  I can understand that.  I have my own hot button issues, too!

But I'm glad you liked her!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne - You've mentioned that you're reworked an unpublished story that you wrote a long time back. That's made me think about your early books. Did you always want to write romance, or what I'd guess you'd call romantic suspense?

I'd love to hear about the first book you ever wrote, and the first book you ever sold, which I realize might be two different stories. I can see how you've grown as a writer, but I still have a soft spot for your early stories. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for spending so much time with us today, Suzanne! Relax and enjoy your show, and we'll look forward to visiting again tomorrow!
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Suz - It's Anne B again - I just caught up since I posted before - about the virtual signings - I love them - someday my signed copies will be worth MILLIONS, but I'm sure my heirs will keep them because they will know that they really meant a lot to me.  Does the number of books you sign grow each time?
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

AnthonysMom wrote:

You are so right Becke.

I was convinced that Sophia and Decker were made for each other and when she paired her up with Dave? It soo worked for me. I also thought Izzy was going to be with Tracy. Then she paired her with Decker. I loved it!

I admit I always felt a little sorry for Mary Lou. She always seemed to be seraching for something and Sam was not it. I was happy that she got a HEA.

Remember how young Mary Lou was?

She's actually a pretty amazing person to recognize that she was alcoholic and take steps to make sure that she didn't drink -- at such a young age.

Anyone who knows someone who's in the program knows that this is never, ever easy to do.  

And I think quite a few people need to learn that love isn't something you can order off a menu, if you know what I mean.  You can't force it.  It took her awhile, but she learned that, too.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

shazy131 wrote:

Hi Suz,

Sam and Alyssa have to be my favorite, with Ken and Van, Jules and Robin (though it took me a while to like Robin - I didn't like the way he hurt Jules.....) and Rose and Hank all tied for 2nd! Everyone else is tied for 3rd. It is sooooo hard to choose, because I love all the characters.

I do want to pipe in and stick up for Izzy - I adore him and think he is very misunderstood. And what he tried to do for Eden definitley puts him in the maturing column. And if he matures more, I don't want to see him lose his humor or his habit to break into song. I am not happy with the way Gillman treats him and hope that Izzy puts him in his place.

It feels so funny talking about these characters like this, but that is the way you write Suz - you make them all so real, it feels like they are our firends.

Thanks!  That's nice to hear -- they're definitely MY friends!

And you'll be seeing more of both Izzy and Danny in the next book!

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

MariTanner wrote:

Glad to hear I am not the only person who thinks of these characters as real people. I get emotional about them while reading (and re-reading) the books. Not sure that I could pick a favorite couple - I love them all.

Suz - women come in all shapes and sizes with great sex appeal. How about a tall, curvy woman? Or a mid-height chubby girl? We aren't all perfectly sized or shaped but I believe all women want to feel sexy and wanted.

Keep writing!!

Hey, Mari!

Gee, I thought I was doing okay in that department -- in HOT PURSUIT, Jenn's definitely larger than Ally McBeal!   And Annie, in FORCE OF NATURE.  And Hannah in INTO THE FIRE.

Sophia and Tracy -- okay.  They're shopping at that ridiculous store named 2-4-6 or whatever it is.  (I wouldn't know.  I last wore a size 6 in middle school!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:
Hi Suz -I'm loving all the messagesYou are one of my favorites - I almost hold my breath for the last week before a new book comes out. I agree with Anthony'sMom about characters changing as the books go on. In the beginning, I didn't like Izzy much, but in HP we almost see another "layer to the onion". Interms of favorite couples - how come no one mentioned Nash & Tess ??? I finished HP over the weekend and just started Otherwise Engaged todayKeep up the good work and I hope that when you have more details about the show in NYC - please post the info on your website - it sounds like a great playThanks for great reads...Anne B

Hi, Anne!

I'll definitely keep everyone posted about LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES.  I'll have a special ticket discount code for readers -- that'll be on my website, too.

Oh, and I'm also going to be holding special "talk back" performances, probably on Tuesday nights, where the audience can stick around for a bit after the show and ask questions of the cast and writers.  

And... I'm planning to attend every performance (seven shows a week! Yikes!), so if you come to see the show, I'll probably be your usher and show you to your seats!

It's going to be Some Show.  We're working on the music right now, with a good friend named Barry Singer who used to play keyboard and saxophone in my band (back in my rock and roll days).  He's already written most of The Big Tap Number.  Think "Moses Supposes" from SiNGING IN THE RAIN, in terms of energy.  Two men tapping like crazy...  It's going to be a show stopper!  I can't wait!  

(Thanks for your kind words!)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

MariTanner wrote:
Almost forget - how about more parajumpers? Seals are awesome but the men needed to rescue them....WOW - that is hot stuff.

Mari,

I'll definitely add PJ to my list of Stories That Must Be Told!  (Thanks for the reminder.)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

tk08 wrote:

Hi Suz,

Do you have any plans to turn any of your TS novels or any of your novels into movies?

Movies isn't the right format, IMO.  It's a length issue -- you'd have to cut out so much of the books to fit the two hour limit.  

The thing I've been working toward is a TV series.  But I'm not sure I'd want to try to recreate the books -- those stories have already been told.  I'd been toying for awhile with a Sam & Alyssa spinoff -- like they open their own TS office (in Boston???  Enter Jules and Robin...)  But I'm still not convinced about that, either.  

Oddly enough, just this morning, I woke up thinking about a TV series set back when Jules Cassidy was in high school.  I was day dreaming about that, and then I started thinking "And then he meets this girl who turns out to be a vampire slayer..."  Oh.  No.  I'm sure Jules would've loved to be in Buffy, but that's been done.  <g>

Contributor
AnthonysMom
0 Kudos

Oh Suz, I LOVE Annie! I also love Ric.... There is something about a spanish man, gee maybe that is why I married one, lol..

That also was a great book. I just loved Jules and Robin in it.

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

WestM wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
(**backing away with hands up**) I surrender, WestM! I'll let Suzanne respond to this herself, but be careful -- she might set Izzy on you!
Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-03-2009 06:24 PM

Ooh, you might want to beg her not too. See, I'm kinda the girl version of Izzy (except for marrying my friends' knockup little sisters. I don't do that). I'm really, really obnoxious, but also funny, and I too have a song for every occasion. I also share his love for that complete dorkfest, "The Night Chicago Died". We could walk around all day and sing together. Just think about that.

Daddy was a cop -- on the southside of Chicago...

How about BILLY DON"T BE A HERO?  (I think Izzy knows all of the words to that one, too.)

Do you have older siblings?  I think kids who grow up with older brothers and sisters who are really into music end up with a more vast library of memorized songs.  Kind of a result of singing along to Inna Gada Da Vida at age two, instead of "Jack and Jill" or "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."  (Not my intention to diss those two children's songs, just an observation.)

Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

HMareeDavis wrote:

I just wanted to congratulate Suz on yet another brilliantly written book. Loved Hot Pursuit as much as everything else Brockmann! (Except perhaps for Hot Target, my all time favourite for no particular reason . . . Cosmo . . . Jules POV . . . Cosmo's mother . . . alright, for too many reasons to list.)

I've said before that if Suz wrote cereal box copy the family would eat breakfast 3 meals a day. I'm sure they'll be glad that she's turning to new projects that won't affect their eating patterns. 

Looking forward to seeing where Suz takes us next.

Message Edited by HMareeDavis on 08-03-2009 06:44 PM

Thank you!!!

HOT PURSUIT was a little different for me in that the main characters (Sam & Alyssa) don't have a big, romance-novel-sized internal conflict.  The book's more of a mystery in that the external conflict is the biggest thing.  (And then, of course, there's Dan and Jenn...)

But it was interesting to write, and to see Sam and Alyssa moving forward in their lives together.  Talking about maturing and growing up -- Sam's doing pretty well, don't you agree?