becke_davis
0 Kudos

Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

[ Edited ]

I am excited and honored to welcome SUZANNE BROCKMANN to visit B&N’s Center Stage this week  I’m here both as a moderator and a fan – I’ve read all of Suzanne’s books (many more than once), and she never fails to make me care about her characters. I love that she often surprises me – changing my expectations and shaking up my complacent ideas about what to expect in a romantic suspense novel.

Her books have everything: believable characters, real emotion, hard-and-fast action, alpha heroes and strong women, and mysteries with unexpected twists. Some of them are darn scary, too. But most of you know this already.

What can I say about Suzanne Brockmann? Well, most of it’s been said before, but it’s worth saying again. She’s at the top of the top of a very large mountain of authors, from a sales standpoint. She’s written more than forty books, and is widely recognized as the leading voice in romantic suspense.

Her work has earned her repeated appearances on USA Todayand New York Times bestseller lists, as well as numerous awards, of America's #1 Favorite Book of the Year – three years running in 2000, 2001, and 2002 – two RITA Awards, and many Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards. She lives west of Boston with her husband, mystery author ED GAFFNEY. They have a son, Jason.

Suzanne has a lot going on this summer – here are a couple of excerpts from her newsletter to bring you up-to-date:

* DARK OF NIGHT (Troubleshootersbook #14) is out in paperback -- it's in stores right now. It comes with a mail-in offer for a free copy of GONE TOO FAR, so be sure to save your receipt!

Dark of Night (Troubleshooters Series #14)  

DARK OF NIGHT is the final book in what I think of as my "FLASHPOINT
story arc." It brings Tess and Nash's story to a conclusion, and providesa long-awaited happy ending for Decker, Dave, Sophia, and even Troubleshooters' receptionist, Tracy. Sam & Alyssa and Robin and Jules play important roles in this story, too. 

* LOOKING FOR BILLY HAINES is a comedy in two acts, with dance. (Yes, dance!)

It tells the story of a young gay actor, living in New York City, whose boyfriend is in the closet. The actor gets the opportunity to audition for a biographical movie about openly gay 1920s and 30s movie star Billy Haines, who chose lov over stardom. With the help of his three somewhat crazy roommates (an actress whose boyfriend is having more success than she; an actress whose boyfriend is in Iraq; and a stockbroker-turned-actor who's nursing a broken heart), and after several hours of laughter, tears, and terrific dancing (including a kickass tap number), our young actor hero makes some important changes in his own life.

We're in the process of locking in a small black box theater, right on 42nd Street in New York City. The show will run from early March through May 23, 2010, seven shows a week, with matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.

I'll have more details in future e-newsletters and on my website -- including a ticket discount code for readers looking to buy tickets!  To sign up for my email newsletter, visit my website at http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/mailing_list.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what Suzanne has to say about her new release, the fifteenth book in the Troubleshooters series, HOT PURSUIT:

*HOT PURSUIT (Troubleshooters  book #15)

I'm really jazzed about this book. Former SEAL Sam Starrett and his wife/boss Troubleshooters XO Alyssa Locke are back in force! What should have been an easy assignment turns dangerous when a serial killer called "the Dentist" makes Alyssa his next target. 

Alyssa's been tracking this killer for years (in fact, many books ago, I wrote a short story that features her gruesome "introduction" to the Dentist). Her relentless pursuit has created an unfortunate backlash – she's caught the Dentist's murderous eye. Now the killer has turned the tables and is stalking Alyssa, but she doesn't know it. In fact, the FBI believes that the Dentist has gone dormant, or perhaps has died. So serial killers are the last thing Alyssa's thinking about when she brings a Troubleshooters team (including Navy SEALs Izzy Zanella, Dan Gillman and Jay Lopez) to New York City to upgrade a newly-elected state assemblywoman's security system.

When threats prove to be real, the assemblywoman's chief of staff, Jenn LeMay, has to endure round-the-clock protection from the SEALs – despite the fact that her studio apartment is barely the size of a walk-in closet. (In such close quarter, hijinx ensue...)

There's also a subplot with everyone's favorite gay FBI agent, Jules Cassidy and his husband Robin, who head to New York to provide assistance (partly in the form of babysitting!) for their friends, Sam and Alyssa.

Let's see... what else can I tell you about the book? As always, there are a variety of points of view. You'll get inside of the heads of: Alyssa, Sam, Jenn, Robin, the creepy Dentist, Izzy and – oh, yeah – Dan Gillman.

This is the first time I've written from Navy SEAL Petty Officer Danny "Gilligan"Gillman's point of view, even though he's been a solid secondary character in many of the other Troubleshooters books. He's got an ongoing conflict with his teammate, Izzy Zanella, who also happens to be married to Gillman's little sister, Eden – which is part of the conflict. I think you'll enjoy finding out exactly what Dan is thinking – it's fun (and educational) to see the world through his pretty brown eyes.

And can I just say...Sam Starrett. 

It is beyond fun to spend writing time inside of Sam's head. Even though all of the blurbs about this book focus on Alyssa (she is, after all, the killer'starget), HOT PURSUIT is really Sam's book.

Hot Pursuit (Troubleshooters Series #15)  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-28-2009 12:37 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Suzanne Brockmann, August 3-7

Hi Suzanne, How wonderful that you're here to talk to us mere mortals. You are definitely a Goddess in my book. You have a wonderful imagination a boat load of unforgettable characters, some whopping bad guys and romances that are untouchable. I have read everything you've written from all you Troubleshooters to your early pieces that Harlequin has re-issued to your Navy Seals series. I just wanted to bow to your greatness and say thank you for all your wonderful stories.

A true fan. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - I knew you'd be one of the first to stop in. I just realized I haven't posted links to Suzanne's earlier books, which are also wonderful (there are others; some of the earlier books are out of print):

Otherwise Engaged   Kiss and Tell   The Kissing Game   Body Language   Forbidden   Freedom's Price   Hero Under Cover   Stand-in Groom/Time Enough For Love   No Ordinary Man   The Bodyguard   Tall, Dark and Dangerous Part 1 (Prince Joe and Forever Blue)   Ladies' Man   Heartthrob   Embraced by Love   Stand-in Groom   Hero Under Cover  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Talking to Suzanne at Barnes and Noble's Facebook page right now. I asked about her new movie project, and this was her reply: 

Thanks for asking about JOLLY -- the movie that Ed and I recently made. 

It was a loooow budget indy film that we shot in 17 days, down in Sarasota Florida. 

It's starring Eric Ruben (www.EricRuben.com) -- the trailer is on YouTube (search for JOLLY and small or large -- which is the name of our production comopany!)

It's going to be featured in a film festival in Ireland in a few weeks, which is exciting!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tuesday, July 28 was the release day for Suzanne Brockmann's 15th Navy SEALs Troubleshooters book, HOT PURSUIT. It brings back Alyssa and Sam, two favorites from this series, and gives Alyssa a starring role.

Hot Pursuit (Troubleshooters Series #15)  

I've been a Brockmann fan since these books first came out -- before that, in fact, since I also liked her earlier series. I was thrilled to meet Suzanne Brockmann in Washington, DC a few weeks ago, and I'm excited to moderate her visit to Center Stage the first week of August.

In something entirely new, Barnes & Noble is hosting a visit with Suzanne Brockmann on their Facebook page. Post your questions or comments and she will respond to them throughout the day. Now, she isn't going to be sitting at her computer every minute, but she will be "live" on and off all day today -- Wednesday, July 29.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106789764651&ref=mf

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke! Can't wait for this event.  Suz islucky to have you moderating and 'hostessing' for her.  oh, I was on at-home "staycation" a couple weeks ago, and caught up on long-overdue Suz reading.  Finally got to "Kiss and Tell" (love it, love the Brit ex pat hero) and Body Guard, which everyone raves about and I totally agree is fab. 

Looking forward to the week w/you and Suz!  -- Michelle Buonfiglio, Heart to Heart, BN.com's NEW all-romance blog.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

Hi, Becke and everyone!

I came over a day early to make sure I remembered how to sign in to this site!  (Good news, I do!)

I'm really looking forward to chatting with everyone -- my plan is to pop in on Monday at around lunch time, and then again at dinner time.  

Can't wait -- see you then!

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
Author
Suzanne_Brockmann
0 Kudos

And, ooh, I see I've been given a little picture!  Very nice -- thank you!  (Last time I was here, I chose the spaceman avatar, which was cool, too!) 

Learn more about Hot Pursuit.

Discover all Suzanne Brockmann titles.
becke_davis

[ Edited ]

Suzanne_Brockmann wrote:
And, ooh, I see I've been given a little picture!  Very nice -- thank you!  (Last time I was here, I chose the spaceman avatar, which was cool, too!) 
Suzanne - Wow, that avatar is sooo cool! I've never seen B&N do that for an author before -- you should feel honored!
 I hope you've had time to recover from the wild Barnes & Noble Facebook event last week. I also saw Jason's pictures of your booksigning at the Barnes & Noble in Framingham, MA, and it was PACKED! I love it when my favorite authors reach celebrity status!
 Relax today, because I'm sure we will keep you busy tomorrow! 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-02-2009 02:03 PM
New User
murano
0 Kudos

Suzanne, I have

becke_davis wrote:

Here are links to all of Suzanne's Troubleshooter's books:

The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters Series #1)  The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters Series #2)  Over the Edge (Troubleshooters Series #3)  Out of Control (Troubleshooters Series #4)  Into the Night (Troubleshooters Series #5)  Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters Series #6)  Flashpoint (Troubleshooters Series #7)  Hot Target (Troubleshooters Series #8)  Breaking Point (Troubleshooters Series #9)  Into the Storm (Troubleshooters Series #10)  Force of Nature (Troubleshooters Series #11)  All Through the Night (Troubleshooters Series #12)  Into the Fire (Troubleshooters Series #13)  Dark of Night (Troubleshooters Series #14)  Hot Pursuit (Troubleshooters Series #15)  

read all of the TS books, just finished reading Hot Pursuit which was absolutely super terrific.  Reading the Author's Notes I thought I was going to hyperventilate when I read "final TS book" as I continued to read "at least for a little while" I was able to breathe again.  From my point of view even after you write the books of all of the characters that haven't told their stories, I would love reading stories of the characters continued lives.  Like Stan and Terry the birth of their 1st child etc.

You're the greatest.  Thank you for all you have written.

Your Fan,

Murano

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome to Center Stage, murano! I know it's hard to pick, but who is your favorite couple from the Troubleshooters series? I have a hard time narrowing down my favorites!
Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-02-2009 11:21 PM
Contributor
Aza_T
0 Kudos

hi suz!!  i know i'm early but i was re-reading hot pursuit and was thinking about how you're thinking of putting out an anthology of all the ts short stories you've written and some new ones, and my question is will one of the new stories potentially be about a cookout/bbq and a certain tadpole's significant other meeting the team??  anyway thanks for all the great reads and please don't be on hiatus from ts for very long.
Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

ooo, azat: intriguing question!  I'm dying to know a little more re Danny Gillman!

-- Michelle Buonfiglio (Join me daily @ Heart to Heart, BN.com's New All-Romance Blog)
New User
balloon
0 Kudos

I have just finished Hot Pusuit  and loved it.. I find Dam to be caring all the while letting her do her own thing without crowding her. I liked Dan story also. Looking forward to hearing more about it.Thiis is my first time and am not sure where to send questioms to Ms Brockman. I they do not belong here please let me know so I can get them answered. 1 How tall is Jules and love his character as well as Robin. 2 Another book for next summer or earlier 3 What happens to Decker and Tracy 3 I only get the recorded version and only Micheal plays a good Sam and why cant the woman play the female parts and the male parts. Please let me know how to proceed
New User
Galinda19
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne!

I loved reading Hot Pursuit!  Dan Gillman got on my bad side with his behavior in ITF, but I like him a lot more after reading HP.  And it was wonderful to visit with Alyssa, Sam, Jules & Robin again.  I can never get enough of these characters! 

I have 2 questions about your notes at the end of the book.  Naturally I was horrified to hear that your next book will be the last TS for awhile.  I was wondering if you are going to be working on another project, or will you be taking a break from writting completely.  If you are going to be working on something else, can you tell us anything about it?

I also wanted to know if you have any time frame for returning to the TS characters.  I'm not asking you to give us an exact date, I just want to know if you will absolutely be returning to TS, or is this a maybe, maybe not return.

Whatever you do next, I trust you completely & will follow you wherever your writting takes me.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi everyone and HAPPY MONDAY!

Hi Suz,

well Becke asked earlier to another poster who their favorite Troubleshooters couple is.

Mine is Max and Gina followed by Sam and Alyssa followed by Jules and Robin. Right now I'm hoping to find out more about Izzy because right now he's the one I'm loving to hate, so we'll see how our resident author here spiffs him up and matures him.

Who is every one elses fav couple, I'm dying to hear.

Thanks Suz for stopping by and it was great chatting with you on facebook the other week. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi balloon - you're in the right place and you're doing just fine. This is exactly the right place to post questions, so ask away. Suzanne will be joining us in a little while to respond, and then she'll be back later in the evening. And, of course, she'll be with us all week. 

I'm moderating Suzanne's visits, so you can ask me for help with anything -- either in this thread, or you can click my name to send me a personal message. Either works.

I'm as excited as you are to be here -- Suzanne is one of my all-time favorite authors, and she's incredibly nice in person, too. Thanks to all of you for joining us! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi everyone and HAPPY MONDAY!

Hi Suz,

well Becke asked earlier to another poster who their favorite Troubleshooters couple is.

Mine is Max and Gina followed by Sam and Alyssa followed by Jules and Robin. Right now I'm hoping to find out more about Izzy because right now he's the one I'm loving to hate, so we'll see how our resident author here spiffs him up and matures him.

Who is every one elses fav couple, I'm dying to hear.

Thanks Suz for stopping by and it was great chatting with you on facebook the other week. 

Happy Monday to you, too, Debbie! I think I'd have to agree with you on my top three Troubleshooters couples. Although, after the last couple of books, I think I now have a top five or six couples instead of a top three!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Aza_T wrote:
hi suz!!  i know i'm early but i was re-reading hot pursuit and was thinking about how you're thinking of putting out an anthology of all the ts short stories you've written and some new ones, and my question is will one of the new stories potentially be about a cookout/bbq and a certain tadpole's significant other meeting the team??  anyway thanks for all the great reads and please don't be on hiatus from ts for very long.

Aza_T wrote:
Aza - I'm glad you brought this up. Suzanne was talking about the anthology idea at the Barnes & Noble Facebook visit last week, and now a lot of us are looking forward to that. I've always been a fan of short stories, and I've read the ones of Suzanne's that usually appear at the end of her hard cover editions. I really like the idea of a compilation of the existing stories, plus more new ones.
 Those of you who've read the short stories -- is there one you like best?