Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Bethanne
0 Kudos

Welcome to Center Stage/About Center Stage

[ Edited ]

Welcome to Center Stage, a great place to get to know some of your favorite authors.
Each week on Center Stage we feature one bestselling author with a new release -- but the conversation will include all of that author's books, not just the new one. It's a great opportunity for you to ask your favorite authors any question, but it's even more perfect if you have a "big picture" question about how they write, what ties their books together, who inspires them, and much, much more. 

Here's a bit about how it works:

We'll have one question thread for each author, which makes it easy: you have just one place to go if you'd like to pose a question, post a comment, and see what other people are asking, too. Simply click "Reply" from the first post (always an Intro from Bethanne) to get started.

If you'd like to respond to an answer from the author, or to someone else's comment, it's helpful to click "Quote Post" so everyone can see the post you're responding to while reading your comments. In the other threads below this (i.e., those that aren't floated to the top), you'll be able to see who's coming next -- their threads (with the dates of their appearance) will be pre-loaded into the message board.

Feel free to go ahead and start posting your questions for upcoming authors prior to their arrival. Remember, each author is only here for a week, Monday through Friday.  

To keep some order on the boards, only the moderator (Bethanne) and B&N staff can start new threads here.

And moving forward, the Book Clubs home page will let you know who's coming next, but we'll also let you know who is coming and when in the Book Clubs Schedule threads in the Announcements board.  

I'm your host, Bethanne Patrick -- you can learn a little bit more about me and my experiences talking to and interviewing authors here. Please know that you can post a message for me any time you have a question, problem, or comment, too.

We hope you enjoy Center Stage! Now, please help us welcome these great authors to our Book Clubs by posting your questions for them today

Message Edited by Bethanne on 12-12-2008 11:14 AM

Check out this week's Center Stage discussion!

See all upcoming discussions!

0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Center Stage/About Center Stage

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

New User
Mikey_L
0 Kudos

I wanted to ask Suzanne if she intentionally puts 'opposites' together in her series with the Navy Seals.  It always seems that the main romantic characters are completely on opposite poles.  As an example, the story with the young SEAL (Lt. Mike ?) who falls in love with the older female white house staffer or the Navy Chief (Kosmo?) who falls in love with the woman making the movie about gay soldier.  I used to be a little embarrassed about being a male looking in the romance section for your books but I now buy them the first day they're on the shelf.

New User
monakita
0 Kudos

Hey Kim,

I just wanted to say that I loved the book!  My husband got it for me as a late anniversary gift (the only thing I asked for this year) and I finished it quickly!  My poor husband had to take care of the kids and do dinner because I was lost in the Hollows.  Can't wait for the next as usual.  I took your advice and entered a short story contest.  Still waiting on the results, but hoping to eventually get my foot in the door.  Finding an agent is murder!  Hope you are enjoying your tour and wanted to know if you ever plan to visit Charlottesville, Va.?  Huge Fan!  Christa

New User
Exhtacy
0 Kudos

Hey Kim!!  Just wanted you to knpw that the book was a wicked *itch the way Marshall left Rachel, but I understand why, will he be back around?  Pierce is so otherworldy HOT!!  I mean he did escape Al...LOL  Can't figure out Trent yet, but I'll bet it's going to be a fly-by-the-seat- of-her-pants sort of thing though...with a ton of money at the end.(?)  Ivy loosened up a lot in this one and Jenks, well poor Jenks is all I can say, I cried just imagining Matilina not being with him anymore.  Perhaps you could fix that one. Anyway, I think you are the best Author out there!!  If I could, I'd move to the Hollows since I live in Kentucky, I'm not too far away.  Think you might make it this way sometime?
New User
Bookie_Pam
0 Kudos

I couldn't put Paths of Glory down.  It was wonderful.  Were the letters real?

Thanks/ Bookie_Pam

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Am I missing the Maeve Binchy post?

It was mentioned on another board (romance) and I see the picture on top, but can't find the dated post. Anyway I have not yet read the newest book, but have loved many including my favorite Circle of Friiends.Circle of Friends  Evening Class  

Light a Penny Candle  

My question for Mrs. Binchy is : Were any of your novels semi-autobiographic? You seem to have an amazing grasp on emotions in a wide variety of female characters from young and lonely to older and grieving to falling in love for the first time.

New User
jessica-dare2
0 Kudos

I love Maeve Binchy's books. Each one is able to stand alone yet the story lines stay intact with the entire series.  I have often wanted to begin writing myself but just can't seem to get started.  I had quite an "adventure" in Germany this year on my way home from a vacation in Italy. I needed shoulder replacement surgery and the story that accompanies the entire event is something I would like to share with others.  I just need help in beginning!  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.  Thanks.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi Jessica,

You may want to check out our Writing Room for help with your own work. Also, should you have a question for Maeve Binchy, she'll be more likely to see it in this thread.

Paul

jessica-dare2 wrote:
I love Maeve Binchy's books. Each one is able to stand alone yet the story lines stay intact with the entire series.  I have often wanted to begin writing myself but just can't seem to get started.  I had quite an "adventure" in Germany this year on my way home from a vacation in Italy. I needed shoulder replacement surgery and the story that accompanies the entire event is something I would like to share with others.  I just need help in beginning!  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.  Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Re: Am I missing the Maeve Binchy post?

I love Maeve Binchy!

Candi
New User
MESnatureanimals
0 Kudos

Hi Spencer! 

Enjoyed this book so much, it was truly laugh out loud funny. Chet definitely found his voice - possibly he's helped me to understand my first boy dog better -so different than the 2 girl dogs I had previously.  I am curious as to whether you've gotten any negative feedback about Chet getting roughed up by the bad guys?  I took it a little too seriously at first and wondered where the book was going, but then it became apparent that like all good detective stories - the hero has to be able to take some manhandling.  Thanks for limiting the violence.  Also, if I recall Chet's physical description correctly, I don't believe the book's cover art is entirely accurate.  Or is that to protect Chet's identity.. maybe he will be going undercover?  Just one more thing - tell Bernie to please feed that dog more!  And make sure he gets out regularly too!  I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.

Frequent Contributor
evollbach
0 Kudos

You say I should feel free to post questions to an upcoming author. But Tom Rob Smith will be here tomorrow, and I've been checking all weekend for a place where I can post a question. I sure don't see a place for him, even when I click on your link in the right-hand sidebar.
Author
Anita-Diamant
0 Kudos

Hello readers! It's been a few years since I participated in one of these B&N reader forums so I'm a bit rusty, but I look forward to picking up the thread and hearing from you. You comments and questions mean a lot to me.

Cheers!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Question.  What happened to Center Stage?

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Authors are now featured in their appropriate boards, Tigger. So, Laurel K. Hamilton moves to Paranormal and so on.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Authors are now featured in their appropriate boards, Tigger. So, Laurel K. Hamilton moves to Paranormal and so on.

Well now us in paranormal all ways had the authors going us.

CS was a good thing for other boards. AND it was REALLY good to get people exposed to authors they were not aware before. (shrug)

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

PaulH wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

CS was a good thing for other boards. AND it was REALLY good to get people exposed to authors they were not aware before. (shrug)

When it worked, it worked well.

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

PaulH wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger, the authors who came here were ones who just had a new release...and when the book just comes out, you only have a week or so to get the book and read it, so you will have something  to talk to the author about.  It wasn't set up as a full discussion.  Some participants just gave a quick hello, and left.  Nothing new.  A lot of people overlooked this board, not really knowing its purpose, or the genre, or even the authors.

1)  I don't like to be rushed to read. 

2)  I don't read a book just so I can speak to an author. 

3)  If I had pre-ordered a book by an author I was familiar with, and then found out later they were going to be here, then I loved to come in and say a few words, even if I had  only read a few pages of their new book.  At least I knew their genre and style.

4)  The authors I knew from past book discussions where the only ones I actually felt comfortable with.  But, when you're all by yourself, with just the moderator and the author, it can be uncomfortable, if the moderator doesn't say anything to help move the conversations.  Been there! 

5)  I enjoy discussing their work, story, or whatever....if that's what they want to talk about.... 

6)  But few people participated. 

7)  If no one participates, the moderator is left holding the attention of the author....I didn't find those conversations interesting....I didn't find them conversations at all.

8)  if you don't have an author who is gabby, or has the time, all you'll hear is dead silence, or inane questions from the moderator, or both. 

9) The demise or success of this board depended upon a lot of things.  I've named a few. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Tigger, the authors who came here were ones who just had a new release...and when the book just comes out, you only have a week or so to get the book and read it, so you will have something  to talk to the author about.  It wasn't set up as a full discussion.  Some participants just gave a quick hello, and left.  Nothing new.  A lot of people overlooked this board, not really knowing its purpose, or the genre, or even the authors.

1)  I don't like to be rushed to read. 

2)  I don't read a book just so I can speak to an author. 

3)  If I had pre-ordered a book by an author I was familiar with, and then found out later they were going to be here, then I loved to come in and say a few words, even if I had  only read a few pages of their new book.  At least I knew their genre and style.

4)  The authors I knew from past book discussions where the only ones I actually felt comfortable with.  But, when you're all by yourself, with just the moderator and the author, it can be uncomfortable, if the moderator doesn't say anything to help move the conversations.  Been there! 

5)  I enjoy discussing their work, story, or whatever....if that's what they want to talk about.... 

6)  But few people participated. 

7)  If no one participates, the moderator is left holding the attention of the author....I didn't find those conversations interesting....I didn't find them conversations at all.

8)  if you don't have an author who is gabby, or has the time, all you'll hear is dead silence, or inane questions from the moderator, or both. 

9) The demise or success of this board depended upon a lot of things.  I've named a few. 

Well now I could find the announcements for Center Stage 6 weeks in advance, not always, but at least the upcoming month ahead.

I saw it problem mainly with the levels of author participation. Some did great, some just blew off thanks for reading me caveats.

Me personally I always checked it out. Found it a good look into authors personalities.Though no I didn't always comment, it was often good reading.

And for those who just did understand what was going on. Well I've been noticing a general "no idea what's going on" newbie cluster and a lack of introduction for them. The set up for a new user, well it sucks. A total lack of hey here's how to start, navigate, general behavior rules guidelines. That should be handed to a new user before they even get to browse. (shrug)