Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what you like most about Cesar's books or TV shows. Have you tried any of his training methods at home? Share your stories with fellow readers.
New User
bjspen1
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I love Cesar's television show and his book. I have ten dogs, all rescues and many people leave dogs with me while they are away from home so that they come home to a well balanced animal. It really freaks them out to see that undesireable behaviors are gone and the dog is in great shape mentally and physically. The next question is usually, "Can I leave my kids with you"? I have 80 acres in a rural area so it is not like I am keeping them penned up We do miles every day on my property and rural roads so there is plenty of exercise and good food.
Contributor
oremm
0 Kudos

My name is Mary. I currently live in South Carolina but grew up in New Hampshire. Ever since I can remember, I have LOVED dogs. My heart breaks to see one alone, abandoned, unloved. Every dog I've ever owned was a rescue and several came with "issues". I purchased the first season of Ceasar's televison show because I don't get the National Geographic channel and love what he says about being born with the innate ability to relate to dogs. I have always felt that I have some ability in that area as well as I've just always been able to instinctively know what to do with dogs. For me, it is just common sense. Can't wait to read and discuss this book.
New User
cklavon
0 Kudos

Hi there, my name is Carol. I love watching Caesar's show, and this book Be The Packleader is definitely on my must-read list. All my life, I have had what my mother calls an un-natural rapport with dogs. Even dogs I don't know automatically do what I call the "Bobo the Dancing Bear" routine, or else they come over, sit right at my feet, lean against my legs, and give me the sad puppy eyes. I have one next door neighbor whose dog literally worships the ground I walk upon. He always starts by licking my toes, and then my knees. Don't ask...I really don't know. LOL

Anyway, at age 32, I only recently began considering a major change in the direction my life has been going, both personally and professionally. Cubeville just doesn't do it for me anymore. I have done some volunteer work with animals, and have even attempted to apply at places such as kennels and pet motels. I even offered to work as an un-paid intern for a local pet hospitalI would really like to (eventually) be able to train service dogs (like seeing eye dogs) professionally. However, I just don't know where to start. And with my odd work hours, volunteer work on the weekends has become impossible.

If anyone knows what steps I can take to get into a rewarding career with dogs, please feel free to respond to this post. Looking forward to reading the book!
New User
LoisStein46
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have ten dogs. A lot of them were rescues who were going to be gassed and euthanized.
I have used Cesar Millan's technique to train my dogs and also work with my client's dogs.
I run a kennel from my home. We have two acres. It is more like a bed and breakfast. Many of my client's dogs are spoiled and not treated as dogs. They have no manners and do whatever they want to do. That is not acceptable in my home. I will use Cesar's techniques with the "guest" dogs. Their Guardians are so surprised when they come to get their dogs.

I've also alerted them to what dog food is suitable for their pets. You would be surprised at the junk that some of them feed their beloved pets.

I bought Cesar's book and have all his DVD's. I've attended his lecture in Staten Island. I watch his TV show as often as I get the time to do so.

He is a wonderful human being and the love and respect that he has for his canine companions and client's canines, come across loud and clear on TV.
New User
BrittanyM3
0 Kudos

My name is Brittany and I have had Bradley, a yellow lab chow mix for about 7 months now. He was a rescue dog. He was found a few hours south of Denver with a massive gunshot wound in his leg. He required surgery to rebuild his leg and now sits funny. He is a loving little guy (only 25 lbs full grown) but has a random aggression problem. I am still working on modifying his behavior. He loves women and children but is very selective in men he is comfortable around. I have tried various techniques to get him to realize I am the pack leader, but need some extra insight!
New User
Usand4
0 Kudos

My name is Patti...I currently live just north of Austin, TX but will be moving to NE Pennsylvania in a few weeks. I usually watch Cesar's program alone but now my husband watches with me...and he NEVER makes time for TV!

I have learned so much in handling dogs from Cesar...I'm so excited to learn more from his input here on the message boards...we have always had 2 dogs (to keep each other company) we currently have our 2nd Australian Shepard; just put down our family Great Dane a year ago; and have our first min. **bleep**z Tzu, which we were skeptical to get since she's so small...we typically have BIG dogs because of all the kids that go thru our house..but she's a real delight and is a perfect size for me!
New User
teebeenj
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. My name is Tracy and I live in NJ with my husband and daughter. We rescued our lab/mix about 6 months ago. She is currently 9 months old. When we obtained her she was extremely scared but we thought that she was just nervous of new people because of the adoption process. Well, it turns out she is PETRIFIED of new people until she gets to know them. She is much better with women/kids but if it's a new man it is all but impossible to get her to warm up to them. We have instructed everyone that comes over to just ignore her and let her come to them "no touch, no talk, no eye contact"! It seems to help but we have to constantly remind peeople of the rues. She is adorable so everyone just says, "OH SHE'S SO CUTE" and they immediately want to play and pet her. We were told that she probably wasn't socialized properly between the ages of 8-10 weeks old. She was rescued from a kill shelter and fostered for 1.5 months. I'm a first-time dog owner so I try to read everything I can but there is so much conflicting information out there. So far, Cesar is the one that I am listening to because his philosophy makes the most sense to our family.

I tape Cesar every day and have read his book Cesar's Way and am anxiously awaiting his new book. I know I am not the pack leader in our family and I am trying to correct my behavior becasue I have most of the responsibility with our dog (SAHM). I walk her for 40 minutes in the morning and another 30 in the early afternoon. We also play ball in the backyard to drain her energy and I do obedience training during the day when I have free time.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing stories and experiences. I welcome everyone's constructive criticism!

I LOVE Cesar!!! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what you like most about Cesar's books or TV shows. Have you tried any of his training methods at home? Share your stories with fellow readers.

I taped all of the Cesar's episodes on television so when I have any free time I can watch them. Like everyone else, I certainly can learn a thing or two from Cesar.

Bentley
New User
Beth_W737
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Beth, I'm from central NJ. I just attended Cesar's lecture in Newark, NJ last Sunday and thought it was fantastic. However, I wish he'd discuss puppies, and whether his rules apply to them, and at what ages. We lost our 10 year old boxer in the beginning of Aug, and one month later (2-3 weeks ago), got a boxer puppy from a breeder...she's now 10 weeks old. I tape all his shows. I've tried to use that touch that he uses, but I can't seem to master it - does anyone have any tips? (when she tries to chew on me, I usually give her one of her toys, but if she won't stop going after me, I try to use that touch but don't seem to be doing it correctly).

Nice to 'meet' you all.

Beth
New User
Reyna
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hi. My name is Reyna and I live in California. I have a 2 year old Welsh Terrier named Oliver. I just started watching Cesar's show and sat mesmorized for hours. Oliver is a great dog and I wish there were more Welsh Terrier's in the area for him to play with. He is very social, does well at dog beach and dog parks. He still barks sometimes when on leash when we encounter other dogs while in parking lots and going in and out of our car. Once he is able to "say hi" and sniff, the barking stops immediately and he goes into play mode. I have tried thinking about my energy when I'm holding on to the leash when we see other dogs. Being more relaxed has helped. I have tried to focus his attention on me but it doesn't work. I have tried the "claw" on the neck move and it worked the first few times (Oliver actually looked back at me in shock!). I'm still working on this with him. I'm looking forward to reading Cesar's new book and joining this discussion group.
New User
Dhanna
0 Kudos

Two years ago when my doctor advised me to get a service dog, we adopted a 6-year-old female Australian Shepherd/Collie with almost no obedience training, from our local Humane Society. Growing up, I always had and trained my own dogs; but for many years my husband and I had lived in apartments where dogs were not allowed. Fortunately, neither Mindy (my dog) or I knew that she was "too old" to be trained. With a refresher course in basic obedience from our Humane Society (mainly for my husband's benefit since he wasn't used to dogs), and some books from a group in AZ that trains service dogs and teaches people how to train their own, I was able to teach Mindy in basic obedience as well as the services I needed her to perform. She is an "alpha" female (I know this is a disputed term, so maybe I should just say she is very self-confident, assertive, and a born leader *S*). She has amazed us by, in effect, training herself to perform some behaviors where she saw there was a need, or has modified a service behavior to make it easier for both of us. Also, because we live in an apartment complex, I taught her to use her "quiet voice" (a soft "woof" ) to get our attention. When I tell people this, they think it is a riot! LOL And she picks up after herself better than my kids ever did. *S* Although she recognizes me as her "pack leader," she will test the limits from time to time to see if I will let her get away with anything -- which I won't. (For example: If she runs down the stairs ahead of me, I call her back upstairs where she has been taught to sit and wait until I descend and call her down.)*S*

I believe that learning, for both Mindy and me, is an on-going, life-long experience. Having seen some of Cesar's programs and been to his website, I am looking forward to this discussion. We live in Vermont and share our home with two adult cats, as well.
New User
showe68
0 Kudos

Enjoyed reading Cesar's first book and look forward to Be the Pack Leader. I have Stella Blue, an energetic 23 month old Bernese Mountain Dog. She has benefited from some of the techniques in Cesar's Way but could still use some work. Everyone tells me she is still a puppy and will calm down in another year, but I would like for her to relax when around company and other dogs when I walk her. I am looking forward to some helpful tips from this book.

Thanks,

Shelley in Denver, CO
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

It's so wonderful to see so many dog lovers all in the same place. I generally find that people who you meet on the street with their dogs are some of the friendliest people around.

Welcome, everyone- I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas about Cesar's book, and your own tips and tricks that help you have an enjoyable companionship with your dog.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Chaser
0 Kudos

Hello, I am Abbie, currently from Chattanooga, TN. I have a pack of five dogs (Sylvie, Conner, Emma, Henry, and Rosa) and one foster (Babette) that has been with us for two years. Everyone says she is obviously staying, but I would like to find her a home that is more suitable for her (and with someone who falls in love with her specifically). At this point, we only have room for one foster, so we are hoping Babette will move on soon so we can help someone else.

My husband and I have worked with/in dog rescue for a couple of years, and where we live, there is, as many of you deal with, I'm sure, a severe overpopulation problem. To do what we could to make a difference, we adopted four dogs pretty close to each other (we had had Sylvie for a few years), so of course, we had several sets of behavioral problems to deal with. I have been so amazed to see my pack at work, and I honestly think they have taught each other more than I could have.

I have really enjoyed watching Cesar (and reading his book and newsletters). I really enjoy how he communicates with people as well as dogs, and I love his concept of having a calm-assertive energy, though I have a long way to go in mastering that. I have learned that with multiple dogs, especially, you have to be in control, and be able to have an instantaneous response from each one.

One of my biggest challenges - and one that I have almost given up on - is getting these dogs out for a walk. Currently, I am searching for a new job opportunity, so I have more time for the moment, but with full-time work (and my husband and I working different shifts), it is almost impossible. We have some developments around us, but it requires leading them along a busy road to get there. I know, I know, I could load them up in the car, but to be honest, I'm totally worn out by the time I do that to start walking assertively. As you can imagine, it is quite a feat of coordination just to get them in the car.

I know Cesar has many more dogs than I do, but I am hoping to hear his take on those with multiple rescue dogs. It would be ideal to have less dogs to keep up with the routine of walking, etc., but for those of us who live in high-euthanasia areas, it is hard to balance the knowledge that so many need homes, but that there is no possible way to do all you are supposed to do after awhile with so many. Believe me, if it was possible, we'd have more!
New User
shoemichi
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hi, I'm Michelle. I have three toy poodles, a white one (9 yrs.) named Diva, an apricot (4 yrs.) named King Arthur and a black one (6 mths.) named Manolo. I am huge fan of Cesar and DVR all his shows. I try to follow his advice but for some reason I can't get it right, I think I am a push over and the dogs know it. My cousin and aunt think Cesar should come to my house and deal with the dogs and me :smileyhappy:I don't know, I just watch the show and read the books hoping that I could handle the three the way Cesar handles his pack, at least Manolo... he's the most difficult.
New User
mmater
0 Kudos

Hi Cesar

Frankie (my Corgi) and I love your shows. Frankie especially loves Daddy and barks at him for most of the hr you're on.

Frankie's Mom
New User
signam
0 Kudos

I have 5 dogs and I am totally convinced that Caesar's approach works. I think we all feel that way. I am disappointed that he is not participating more in responding to questions and interacting with readers. Isn't that the point of the Book Club? We could talk to each other all day long. It's his opinion I am interested in.
New User
hunteral541
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi I am Alan and I have two dogs. A 5 month old husky and a black lab/husky mix who is ten. How can I get the puppy to stop biting my other dog and chasing our cat. He just love to run and bite. We give him lots of chewies to keep him occupied. He is realy a very smart dog but stubborn. Even when walking him he likes to pull. I keep him on very short leash. Are there any suggestions.
Thanks

Message Edited by hunteral541 on 10-12-2007 07:57 PM

Message Edited by hunteral541 on 10-12-2007 07:58 PM
Contributor
Pepper-Sugar
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Kathleen I live in Ct. I have two wonderful German Sheperds (male & female) both from same litter, nine months old. I enjoyed reading both of Ceasar's books.
What I appreciate the most is his honesty and his straight forwardness of letting people know they are the cause of some of thier pet's dysfunctions. I think the greatest lesson he has given was not to treat our dogs as humans it is doing them a dis service. Dogs have different needs and those are the needs that should be met to have balance. Commitment, patience, time, educating one's self as to what is the right way to raise our dogs. I agree with him dogs are sacred, thier trust , faithfulness, unconditional love we get in return is a blessing.
God Bless
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: