New User
AUNTIEDINA
0 Kudos

Question for Cesar

Hello,

I have a 13 yr old mix dog-Hershey. He does not like other dogs. It's very difficult to walk around the neighborhood with other dogs near us. He has had some bad experiences with dogs coming up to him without him provoking it. He tries to attack the dogs all sizes, colors, and breeds. I try to hold his harness and calm him down by talking to him. He won't listen. I am afraid he will injure is back legs that are weak...I have been watching your show and try that technique using my hand as a bite....not working. We try to limit his time outside to avoid other dogs and he doesn't have much of quality life by doing this. It would be nice if we could have peace for him in his final years...want him to enjoy the outdoors for walking and just to hang out in the yard. Do you have any suggestions???
Contributor
riolobo
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Cesar

Hi,
Are you using a collar that is placed higher on the neck behind the ears?
That will give you more control. Does your dog walk behind you or at your side?
Are you feeling calm when another dog approaches? If you could find someone who has a calm dog that would walk past you and your dog several times until your dog didn't react anymore could help. Using corrections (leash) everytime your dog looks at the passerby.
You are right in thinking your dog needs to be walked as often as possible to keep him happy and balanced. Hope this helps, sorry I am not Cesar but I just wanted to let you know that his ways do work since I walk my two 70 lb malamutes together everyday and would not have been able to do this without having read his books or watched his shows. Just keep in mind that it takes time and even though your dog is older, he can still always benefit as well as yourself. Best of success!

Lisa
Contributor
Pepper-Sugar
0 Kudos

AUNTIEDINA wrote:
Hello,

I have a 13 yr old mix dog-Hershey. He does not like other dogs. It's very difficult to walk around the neighborhood with other dogs near us. He has had some bad experiences with dogs coming up to him without him provoking it. He tries to attack the dogs all sizes, colors, and breeds. I try to hold his harness and calm him down by talking to him. He won't listen. I am afraid he will injure is back legs that are weak...I have been watching your show and try that technique using my hand as a bite....not working. We try to limit his time outside to avoid other dogs and he doesn't have much of quality life by doing this. It would be nice if we could have peace for him in his final years...want him to enjoy the outdoors for walking and just to hang out in the yard. Do you have any suggestions???

Your dog is up in years. Just as people get "crabby" from aches and pains this may be the case with your dog. Other dogs sense weakness too. Your dog might always be of defensive because of his "weak legs" ( do they cause pain ? You should really consult your vet with the concerns over his legs and ask if his ailments might be affecting his demeanor.
God Bless
New User
AUNTIEDINA
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,
Yes,my dog walks by my side and the harness works best for him since the regular collars seem to choke him...vet suggested the harness. When he was 6 months in dog obedience camp, two goldens decided to chase him around the room trying to mount him. The instructor nor owners did anything. He tried to run from them and finally I went over to stop this. Since then he has been afraid of dogs and really doesn't want to interact with them. One day we were leaving the vet and another dog got lose from it's owner...dog decided to attack him and locked his mouth around Hershey's eye. Hershey had to get stitches. I am a very calm person and try to let him know that everything will be ok if he ignores the dogs...I try rubbing his ears and speak to him. He tore his acl last yr and had surgery for it. The vet knows that his hind legs are weak and we give meds to help his condition. He acts soo young and it's hard to seem caged in our house because he loves the outdoors. He his such a lovable dog and he deserves more than this...Thank you for the suggestions. I am a faithful viewer of the Dog whisperer and I even got his book to compare notes.
Contributor
Pepper-Sugar
0 Kudos

AUNTIEDINA wrote:
Hi Lisa,
Yes,my dog walks by my side and the harness works best for him since the regular collars seem to choke him...vet suggested the harness. When he was 6 months in dog obedience camp, two goldens decided to chase him around the room trying to mount him. The instructor nor owners did anything. He tried to run from them and finally I went over to stop this. Since then he has been afraid of dogs and really doesn't want to interact with them. One day we were leaving the vet and another dog got lose from it's owner...dog decided to attack him and locked his mouth around Hershey's eye. Hershey had to get stitches. I am a very calm person and try to let him know that everything will be ok if he ignores the dogs...I try rubbing his ears and speak to him. He tore his acl last yr and had surgery for it. The vet knows that his hind legs are weak and we give meds to help his condition. He acts soo young and it's hard to seem caged in our house because he loves the outdoors. He his such a lovable dog and he deserves more than this...Thank you for the suggestions. I am a faithful viewer of the Dog whisperer and I even got his book to compare notes.

It is so sad your dog had to experience such things and in presense of Trainers. Poor thing, biten in a vet's office. OMG ! I wish you luck with your dog it deserves to have peace of mind when out and about. There is collar out called a gentle guide. You slip the front end over your dog's snout, he can drink etc but if he pulls his head goes down towards you. Myabe this will help you with walking him. Poor thing.. I hope all works out for you.

Kathy
God Bless
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 1,037 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: