New User
ROBINLEA
0 Kudos

Stubborn Malamute

We love Cesar! And we love our 9 month old Malamute, Shelby...but she is turning out to be a tough dog to handle. She is loving and affectionate most of the time. We have problems with getting her to come to us when we call her and mostly when she is off the leash after a good run. We realize that she just wants to play and may not be done...but we are and when it's time to leave and put her back on the leash is turns into a chase and a game for her. Sometimes we can get her to come if we bribe her with a treat, but that is turning out to not be much of an incentive anymore.

Often, when we do finally get her back on her leash she starts to snap and become aggressive. This mostly happens with my husband. I seem to have more control over her than he does!

She gets walked often and also has the run of our 1 acre compound. So we are at a loss about how to gain control of Shelby!

Can you help us?
Contributor
riolobo
0 Kudos

Re: Stubborn Malamute

Hello,

I have two brother wolf malamutes. Sometimes I have a little trouble after releasing
them to swim and then to have them come back to me to releash and finish our walk.
I never chase after them. I never use anger in my voice when calling them back. When they do come to me I make sure I sound very pleased and happy. If they are not paying attention to me I then will walk away from them or act as if I am eating something once I get their
attention if one comes I am lucky the other will follow and then both come. This doesn't always happen but I try and remain patient and calm. Unless I were to sense a dangerous stituation I would then walk towards them and releash as quickly as I could. You could practice
at home the come command and then use "corrections" if biting starts, but try not to at the same time so the dog doesn't associcate coming to you as a bad thing.

Lisa
Contributor
Pepper-Sugar
0 Kudos

My question is for Riolobo.. Did your dogs enjoy swimming from the get go ? Did you have to train them to go in or did they want to go into water on thier own. I ask this because this summer I tried to introduce my Sheperds to swimming, they had a strong curiosity with the pool and I thought it best they learn to swim just incase they got in on thier own and this way I could show them how to get out ( stairs leading out from pool). Well all I can say it is not thier favorite thing to do. What can I do if anything to make it something they will want to do more of. My husband assures me as they get older they will be more at ease with it and look forward to cooling off. I don't know about that.
God Bless
Contributor
riolobo
0 Kudos

Hi Sugar-Pepper,

When we got our dogs last fall as pups 12wks of age we introduced them to swimming in a canal. They did not really like it a first. They weren't sure how to doggy paddle and keep their front legs under the water. We only did this maybe two times. We waited until the weather got nice again in May and at 11 months of age re-introduced them to swimming not only in the canal but to follow across the whole length of the canal while my husband & I walked over head on a canal pipe. They now just love it when we say "get in there", I don't think it is a natural desire for malamutes to love swimming, but since my dogs love doing everything together, well they just copy each other's behavior making it seem that more interesting. I would think shepherds would be the same way. Just allow them to get used to the idea and keep exposing them to it. We also throw rocks into the canal to get them to chase after. Be careful though that you watch out for canals that contain the blue/green algae. It can be fatal to you dogs. Cooling off is another big attraction to having them look foward to swimming as your husband stated.
Good Luck
Lisa B
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 671 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: