Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Annabel

I wonder if a thread on Annabel might draw some interest? She's almost too busy for us to get a good look at her! What do you make of her role in the novel? She's bright, strong, a caretaker, a crusader. What do you think of her?
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

Re: Annabel

I would like to think that we see so little of Annabel because she is involved in an all-consuming, passionate affair with someone that can give her the love and appreciation she deserves!

However, she probably just represents ignored, unappreciated working women- together with Judy and Aurora and De Vaughn's mother (did she have a name? I can't remember.) I think on another thread someone else referred to Annabel as a "wallpaper character." Good description.
Contributor
Walrus
0 Kudos

I agree, Annabel is really the only character with whom I could identify somewhat and care aliitle about. The others left me lukewarm.. To really get into a book you need to feel with the characters- cry with them, fear with them, rejoice with them etc. Or at least I do.
Contributor
Charity10
0 Kudos

I see the character of Annabel as self absorbed in her own way. A bit of a workaholic whose husband's narcissism gives her time to pursue her own crusades. While her work is noble in content, she seems quite indifferent to her own family. I find the contrast between passion for her work and lack thereof at home interesting. Is her passion guilt driven in any way? I feel like we don't get enough insight into her. Certainly her noble pursuits raise an eyebrow and the intial reaction from other readers seems to be one of admiration. I'm still trying to figure out the author's purpose in creating her character. Perhaps it will be clearer as I read on.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Charity10 wrote:
I see the character of Annabel as self absorbed in her own way. A bit of a workaholic whose husband's narcissism gives her time to pursue her own crusades. While her work is noble in content, she seems quite indifferent to her own family. I find the contrast between passion for her work and lack thereof at home interesting. Is her passion guilt driven in any way? I feel like we don't get enough insight into her. Certainly her noble pursuits raise an eyebrow and the initial reaction from other readers seems to be one of admiration. I'm still trying to figure out the author's purpose in creating her character. Perhaps it will be clearer as I read on.
Charity -- you may have noted on the values thread that I am a little cynical about Annabel's altruism and whether she has her priorities straight. But then, perhaps she was forced into her choices as a self-defensive response to her husband's actions.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Annabel - SPOILER

SPOILER

I don't know enough about Annabel to make a clear assessment of her. What is clear to me by the end of the book is that she is aware of Murray's affairs (he claims to have had many), but chooses to ignore them and remain with her husband because she is the one he always comes home to at night. I have never understood why some women put up with this behavior. On the other hand, as Dr. Phil would say, it must be working for her or she wouldn't stand for it. What is not clear is how or why it is working for her. We could speculate on financial security, the ability to lead her own life as she wished, or a lack of sexual interest in Murray. Annabel is a mystery character.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Annabel and Murray reminded me of public couples whose private lives are common fodder for gossip. One such couple are Hillary and Bill Clinton. Both are strong, assertive and ambitious people. They both feed each other's ambitions. They are equally brilliant; and in some cases, forgive each other's moral, political and social transgressions.

As in Hillary and Bill, both Annabel and Murray deserve each other. They're the perfect power-couple who thrive in the rarefied atmosphere of America's social, political and literary halls of power.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
Charity10
0 Kudos

Peppermill I had read a lot of the postings but did not recall yours specifically. I guess we just had similiar views on the character. Interesting thought regarding her altruism being a self-defensive response to her husband.
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: