Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Characters

In the early chapters, which of the novel’s characters strikes you as its moral center? Is it Bootie, who comes to New York with such high ideals and easily rankled feelings? Is it Danielle, who has lived there long enough to feel at home but who still sees its pretensions and absurdities? With which of these characters is the reader meant to identify? Whose judgments seem the most reliable? And what flaws or blind spots afflict them?
Contributor
Walrus
0 Kudos

Re: Characters

Our computer crashed and is still not working well in regard to posting cannot be longwinded. SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ UNLESS FINISHED> Just suppose-----1. Annabel dumps Murray after hearing him on phone with Danny 2. Murray becomes full blown alcoholic and moves into Bootie's old room where Judi cares for him. She also has started to drink3. Annabel takes up with DeVaugh"s uncle and all three live in C.P.W. apt.4. Marina and Ludo divorce. 5. Marina becomed editor of Vogue and never remarries since she has always been Daddy's little girl 6. Ludo now out of the closet launches himself onto Julius and they are the toast of the town until.......7. Julius not willing to leave N.Y.C. or give up Ludo- poisons Ludo with a vodka anti-freeze cocktail just as he begins to suffer from encephalitis. 8. David goes off to Staten Island to live with the cop he picked up the nite of the assault on Julius 9. Danny never tells anyone about finding Bootie. She become a well known film producer and has kept track of Bootie. They meet up in Hollywood and are a couple. 10. Bootie, now in his fifth reincarnation- always witha germanic first name is now a successful screen writer. He has changed so much and is so handsome that even his own mother would nor recognize him 11. One nite, Judi and Murray in a drunken stupor watch the Academy awards. Judi remarks " If only my Bootie had not been so brave he could be up there like Wolfgang Older receiving an Oscar. THE END I probably have read too many "pat novels and watched too many movies. Please forgive the liberty with some one else's characters, but I had too much time to daydream.
Contributor
Walrus
0 Kudos

This will probably be my last entry since we are going away. Glad to see no one had a heart attack over some of my postings. My laST WORD IS ABOUT JUDI( BOOTIE'S MOTHER) SOME WHERE SOMEone stated that she was not a perfect mother. What is the defination of a perfect mother or even a good mother? As far as I know she did not abuse Bootie in any manner, nor did she seem overbearing. She appears to have accepted her life with her husband in a dismal town with a not so great job. Yet she taught school every day and if I recall even had Bootie in her class. This is slightly unusual to say the least, but I do know surgeons who had to operate on their own kids. She was unhappy when he dropped out of college but did not BOOT him out of the house. I do know some who did for the same reason. She mourned him when he "died". We have no clue she frequented bars or picked up men. So why was she a victim??? Also Danny who started out so wonderful sunk to a new low when she started an affair with her best friend's father. Was this to get back for Marina and Ludo??? I can not even imagine an affair with a best friend's enemy. A best friend is a best friend. MY very,very last word, I do not believe Ludo cared at all for Marina and she was certainly brain washed or in a state of adolescent rebellion. I do not think he deserves any credit for her book finishing. He knew it was crap and he probably would have published the expose' about Murray if not for 9/11. He was evil from start to finish. I hope to go on the other books and other characters on my vacation. This was interesting while it lasted. When is it over???
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Walrus wrote:
Our computer crashed and is still not working well in regard to posting cannot be longwinded. SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ UNLESS FINISHED> Just suppose-----1. Annabel dumps Murray after hearing him on phone with Danny 2. Murray becomes full blown alcoholic and moves into Bootie's old room where Judi cares for him. She also has started to drink3. Annabel takes up with DeVaugh"s uncle and all three live in C.P.W. apt.4. Marina and Ludo divorce. 5. Marina becomed editor of Vogue and never remarries since she has always been Daddy's little girl 6. Ludo now out of the closet launches himself onto Julius and they are the toast of the town until.......7. Julius not willing to leave N.Y.C. or give up Ludo- poisons Ludo with a vodka anti-freeze cocktail just as he begins to suffer from encephalitis. 8. David goes off to Staten Island to live with the cop he picked up the nite of the assault on Julius 9. Danny never tells anyone about finding Bootie. She become a well known film producer and has kept track of Bootie. They meet up in Hollywood and are a couple. 10. Bootie, now in his fifth reincarnation- always witha germanic first name is now a successful screen writer. He has changed so much and is so handsome that even his own mother would nor recognize him 11. One nite, Judi and Murray in a drunken stupor watch the Academy awards. Judi remarks " If only my Bootie had not been so brave he could be up there like Wolfgang Older receiving an Oscar. THE END I probably have read too many "pat novels and watched too many movies. Please forgive the liberty with some one else's characters, but I had too much time to daydream.

LOL! This is funny!

I do wonder if Danny will tell anyone that she saw Bootie. I think even if she does tell someone, no one will believe her anyway, so his secret will be safe.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 384 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: