Contributor
Charity10
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello everyone.

I've just recently begun reading The Emperor's Children. I am just over 100 pages and believe it's a keeper. I figure if I have not lost interest already chances are that I won't. I work as an art psychotherapist and consequently often approach fictional reading from a psychological perspective. I have read many of your initial observations which are so eloquently expressed. I don't consider myself as versed as many of you seem to be in the stucture and technicalities of ficture. However, I thoroughly enjoy a good read and look foward to this dialogue.

I was drawn to the novel for 3 reasons; the writing style, frivalous subject matter, character study. It seems many, if not all the readers, agree that the writing style is exceptional if not at least adequate. Personally, I cannot read a book if I don't like the writing style. In contrast to many of the readers, I was actually looking for a book that would offer a guilty pleasure kind of escape but also satisfy my frequent need for intellectual stimulation. At this time, for me, the book is a good fit. I am impressed by readers' high expectations of this book. Perhaps my lack of knowledge concerning the writer may have prevented me from having such high expectations? No offense I hope to Ms. Messud.

Thus far, I appreciate the honestly of the characters and really do not find them to be all that far fetched. I grew up near NYC, just across the Hudson in Jersey, where many wanted to emulate or wished to be the Thwaites. Julius actually reminds me of a close friend I had growing up well into the college years. He also believed attitude was everything and squirmed his way into the right circles. I love that the characters are so flawed, for me that makes them believable. I have seen people go to extreme measures to be someone/something they are not in both my personal life and work. I find this novel to be a satire of sorts with hints of one of my all time favorite novels the Great Gatsby. Cheers to Ms. Messud for her ability to create such sad, pathetic self- indulgent characters. Likeable or not, I do believe they capture an element of our times. I look foward to see how the plot & characters develop.
Frequent Contributor
Katelyn
0 Kudos

Hi Charity,
It is great you are joining us. It will be great to have a psychological perspective. I noticed that you work as an Art Therapist. My sister does that type of work. Art and psychology is such an interesting blend.
I am liking the book a lot as well. To me the characters are likable, even if flawed. I don't consider the two to be at odds. Something that we perhaps share...

Kate
Contributor
Charity10
0 Kudos

Thanks Kate... what a coincidence re: your sister. I guess we are both excited to see how these characters develop.
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 444 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: