Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Later Chapters, 47-67

Please use this general discussion thread for the later chapters of the novel, from chapter 47 on.
Contributor
bobzyeruncle
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters, 47-67

[ Edited ]
Okay, so I have a theory, which came to me in the middle of Chapter 47 (pp 429-430 in the UK paperback edition).

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER ***

I'm reading during a solo meal in Covent Garden this afternoon. Bootie's just moved into his new place.
In a corner by the window, the boards were badly watermarked, blackened and leached. Perhaps there had been a plant there. He couldn't remember.

What?? "He couldn't remember," says the narrator. What's the point of saying that???

And then, like the wedding ring falling in the a-ha scene of The Sixth Sense, I said, "Shut up." I picked up my pen, while picking through a plate of pasta before this evening's workshop, and scribbled, "hmmm, is Bootie the narrator? Nice!"

That's clever. Perhaps too clever by half.

I remembered awhile back the narrator said something about Bootie's fan and it being 'oscillating' which was similar to 'osculating,' (not sure about if the noun or adj form was used) -- a word he'd recently learned by hadn't found a chance to use yet. I have to say, that passage really got my goat. Why would the narrator put that in unless he/she was just showing off? Actually, that's how I've felt a lot about the narrative voice.

But ... if Bootie is the narrative voice, it all makes perfect sense, and I sort of love (and hate, in a Roger Ackroyd-ish kind of way) this twist.

(and if Bootie's not the narrative voice, then I'm back to being irritated by the narrator's smugness)

It would also explain why we never get to see (so far) what Boootie ended up writing about Murray, and why the characters seem a little one-dimensional. Unreliable narrators. Grrrr.

Okay ... now I have to finish the book and see what happens. I'm still *very* apprehensive about bringing in the whole 9/11 thing (lived through it, watched the Towers fall from my roof and terrace, not a good day), but we'll see.

Message Edited by bobzyeruncle on 10-08-2007 10:06 PM

Message Edited by bobzyeruncle on 10-08-2007 10:07 PM
:: :: ::

Bob
www.bobzyeruncle.com
Contributor
Walrus
0 Kudos

Before we leave, I am interested to know whether you finished the book and what you thought of it. From your name, I would assume you are male and do not thinh too many males read this book but may be wrong since you are involved in writing and/or teaching and others may be as well. I tied to rethink book as to whether Bootie was the narrator and really could not come to that conclusion altho it was a very interesting idea and very original. Good Luck.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

bobzyeruncle wrote:
I'm reading during a solo meal in Covent Garden this afternoon. Bootie's just moved into his new place.
In a corner by the window, the boards were badly watermarked, blackened and leached. Perhaps there had been a plant there. He couldn't remember.

What?? "He couldn't remember," says the narrator. What's the point of saying that???

Bootie had seen the apartment, furnished, when he was viewing it before signing the lease, so that's why he made the comment.

Interesting idea that the narrator is Bootie... I don't think so though.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 952 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: