Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

A CHRISTMAS CAROL: Stave II (Wk. of 12/7/09 - no spoilers, please)

Here's our thread for "Staves II."

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: A CHRISTMAS CAROL: Stave II (Wk. of 12/7/09 - no spoilers, please)

Stave II: I think that this visit of the spirit of Christmas past would have been enough to change Scrooge significantly.  A reflection on our life would do much to change us.  He had a change of heart with every visit.  I cried reading this section.  It shows the damage we all can do to one another.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Yes, seeing the young Scrooge having feelings and the attachment between him and his sister is very touching!  And then in the Fezziwig scenes, we see that he was once happy and active.  How things have changed, and, as you say, I would think it likely that anybody seeing how much better their life used to be would want to do something to try and recapture that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
MissElinorDashwood
0 Kudos

I wanted to know what everyone else felt about the ending of Stave II.  Scrooge and the spirit leave the scene before Belle replies to her husband's observation of Scrooge.  How would have Belle responded to the cold observation of her former betrothed, "His partner lies upon the point of death, I hear; and there he sat alone. Quite alone in the world, I do believe."  I can just imagine Belle's sad lamentation of her lost love, how cold his heart had grown, how different from the man she had once loved.  Did she blame his outcome on herself, for leaving him instead of trying to change his heart?  Why doesn't Dickens show Scrooge the end of the conversation?  Would not my assumed kind reply have helped change Scrooge?