Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement: September, '09 Classics Pick!

JediHanson wrote:
I'm so excited, Connie!  This is my all-time favorite movie.  My son recently purchased/read this book and enjoyed.  I'm sure I will too.  :smileyhappy:

Fantastic, Jedi!  Welcome to the club.  I hope you'll jump right in with us in September!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
I received the book, and it is beautiful!  If someone wants a good-quality edition to be passed down through the generations, I would definitely recommend this one.

Oh, that's good, dulci.  I'm so glad you're pleased with it.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

JediHanson wrote:
I'm so excited, Connie!  This is my all-time favorite movie.  My son recently purchased/read this book and enjoyed.  I'm sure I will too.  :smileyhappy:

Great - it's my all-time favorite movie, too!!!  I know I must have read this when I was in grade school, but it's been a very long time.  Being my very favorite movie, I really wanted to get a really good edition of the book, because it will be a special part of my library.  That's why I agonized so much over the choice, and drove everybody crazy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
Darcy2163
0 Kudos

To go along with our September book, if any one is interested in seeing the Wizard of Oz at the theatre, the following is some information regarding this special screening.

NCM Fathom, Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies present The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event featuring the first ever High Definition presentation in movie theatres nationwide of The Wizard of Oz.  This One Night Event will take place in over 440 movie theatres nationwide on Wednesday, September 23rd at 7:00 p.m. (local time).  In addition to the feature presentation of The Wizard of Oz, this exclusive event will include a special introduction by Robert Osborne, a classic film historian and host of Turner Classic Movies, followed by “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” a look into how L. Frank Baum’s classic novel was transformed into one of the most beloved films of all time including archival interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and rare musical outtakes. Also featured will be an exclusive clip of the Scarecrow, Ray Bolger, dancing in High-definition for the very first time.

Contributor
Bluemoon147
0 Kudos

I also am a slow reader.  It's so nice to now I am not alone.  Not only am I a slow reader finding the time to read more than one page at one sitting is also my problem.  Also getting online at a reasonable hour to post any comments.......how do others do it??

Thanks for listening

Any advise??

Bluemoon 

Frequent Contributor
WinterLady
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advance notice on Vanity Fair!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Bluemoon147 wrote:

I also am a slow reader.  It's so nice to now I am not alone.  Not only am I a slow reader finding the time to read more than one page at one sitting is also my problem.  Also getting online at a reasonable hour to post any comments.......how do others do it??

Thanks for listening

Any advise??

I schedule my reading time, not formally, but definitely make choices that put reading somewhere in the schedule every day.  I figure that if I encourage my children and husband to spend time on their hobbies, and spend my time supporting them by driving, watching, etc., that they should support me in the pursuit of my hobby --- reading. 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

I so appreciate the advanced listing of the next months reading. I wish the schedule for all September book clubs would be posted as it's nice to have time to buy the books you want to read and as I use BN online to purchase my books you need time for the mailing to come through. I already have my copy of the Wizard of Oz and am  anxious to start reading. Yvonne

New User
munchkin-on-the-hill
0 Kudos

I am excited about reading the Wizard of Oz.  Like many others, the movie was a favorite and one that was watched every year (didn't it play every year in January?  I'm talking 1960's-70's).  I had a set of children's classics . The Wiz of Oz is the only one I kept.   I still get the creeps when I think of the flying monkeys.  Sometimes I will go into my Oz spiel of dialogue and my husband will just roll his eyes at me.  LOL

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I never knew there were other books in the series. I am planning a trip to Barnes and Noble on Tuesday and might just pick one up to read since I haven't read the book. The Wizard of Oz has always been a favorite of mine and each and every year it was on tv I would watch it. My mom couldn't believe that even as an adult I would sit and watch it every year. Several years back I did see a movie called The Return to Oz I found that movie to be creepy and scary. I am guessing it was based off one of the other stories in the series as there was a Jack Pumpkin head in it. Not many of the other original characters were in this movie. I must say I didn't like it at all. For those of you that have read more then just the first book in the series does the story line flow easily from one book to the next? I guess I am wondering because these two movies are extremely different. I haven't decided yet if I would like to read any of the other books based on this movie. love4books