Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
purple_monkey
0 Kudos

Best or Favorite Classic

What's the best or your favorite classic book in your opinion? Why do you like it?

New User
Spanky7
0 Kudos

Re: Best or Favorite Classic

There are so many good classic books it would be hard to know where to start. I enjoy so many and what's your definition of a classic?

New User
SRiddle
0 Kudos

My favorite classic is Catch-22. The characters and plot are so complex. At first, Yossarian seems like a "slacker." As the novel progresses, it becomes apparent that there are reasons for his behavior. In my opinion, it is a perfect novel.

Inspired Contributor
altreco

My favorite 20th century "Classic" work would be Hemmingway's Old Man and The Sea.

19th century favorite is Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles and Dickens Great Expectations.

Older classic favorite would have to be Shakespeare's Hamlet and Henry V.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

My favorite is The Three Musketeers by Dumas.  It's a great adventure novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
candice_major

I cannot think of what my favorite is right now, but I can tell you that one book that I will never forget is The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This is the first classic that I have ever read. I was just in gradeschool when I picked it off a shelf of books on sale. I have to admit that I didn't understand much of what I read then but I did get and do remember what lesson it taught. And, wow, who knew that that will be the very same lesson that I have to remind myself of every single day. 

New User
JHearne

There are so many to name. It has been awhile since I have read this book, but I would have to say To Kill A Mockingbird. I love the coming of age story line and how the characters grow throughout the book.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

My favorite is Wuthering Heights.  It is such a powerful story of obsessive love that consumes everything and everyone around it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Reader 4
MrsPamB
0 Kudos

I was very surprised by how much I loved Treasure Island! I was expecting it to be more of a "guy book", but it was suspenseful and exciting. A real page turner i cant recommend enough : )
Reader
kbluck27
0 Kudos

The Great Gatsby, no doubt

I thought it was filled with so much symbolism that most people didn't quite get

I've read this book multiple times and each time I still get so moved by it

I simply think Fitzgerald did an amazing job, I admire his work

New User
RoseForEmily
0 Kudos

This is such a difficult question to answer. A lot of people might say "Anna Karenina" or "War and Peace." I've only read "Anna" out of those two. It was very long and sometimes difficult to tackle. But it was certainly a good one. I particularly like "Wuthering Heights" and "The Great Gatsby" as well. "Lolita" was amazing. I am always amazed by the writing of Russian authors. A lesser known book by James Agee called "A Death in the Family" is also extremely well-written and thought-provoking. I tend to like books that point out our flaws and pick out certain absurdities in society. I also think I go through times of having "favorites," as it were, depending on where I'm at in life and what I happen to be reading at the time. I find I appreciate a writer's work more when I can hear discussions about it and study it with someone who will challenge me to find deeper meaning and understand the symbollism throughout the book. 

New User
madieraman
0 Kudos

A Christmas Carol by Dickens

Shadow by Poe

Inspired Contributor
MyOwnLittleWorld
0 Kudos

My all-time favorite has to be Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.  I wanted to read it before I saw the musical and I'm so glad I did!  I loved how the stage version adapted the last scene with Valjean's death but all in all the stage authors did a fantastic job adapting.  I finaly got to view the movie for the Count of Monte Cristo and now I want to read that as well.  Heard it was excellent.  Finally, I'm reading Great Expectations now and so far love it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance

My Favorite would be Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Now that is a love story!
Reader 4
Jeremiahp
0 Kudos

There are many good reads and classics. There is no dorminant force to bestow on any writer of having an accolade  of being classical . I grew up reading English writers and later I was introduced to world literature which formed my opinion that all books are great. I have become more open and less selective in what I read. I read all books in any subject. I do not restrict myself in reading any title because it is classic. Depending on mood I dive into any book. We need to come out of the Dickens era and embrace all world books which exist in this contemporary world. My list of  books is wide and I can't 'point out a single book as being favourite.   

I am a self published writer and I have published four books that I would like to bring to your attention. Herewith the books The Stolen Gift, a Journey to Maleba, Chronicles of a Soldier and Servants of the Underground.
Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

My all time favorite is Pride and Prejudice.  I LOVE Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth and how much they banter back and forth.  Elizabeth's mother is funny as well and I love that time period.  It shows how people in that time wanted to marry for love, not merely station. 

Reader
LeaAnnLuvs2Read
0 Kudos

My favorite classic is Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo. In the beginning, Edmond is so full of life and has his soul ripped to shreds. He learns that "playing God" by seeking revenge does not assuage the pain, humiliation, and despair he experienced at the Chataeu d'If as a result of his friend's betrayal and others coveting his good fortune (becoming the captain of his own ship, engaged to Mercedes, etc.) This is why I love this book.

My name is Lea Ann and I am a Bibliophile.

Currently Reading: The Bell Witch (John F. D. Taff); Night of Cake and Puppets (Laini Taylor); The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
New User
ChessTiger
0 Kudos

ANYTHING(!!!) by Poe...

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Wow, I can't give you just one, how about one per author?  By classic, I'm going to assume at least a hundred years old:

The Three Musketeers

Oliver Twist

The Sign of Four

Riders of the Purple Sage

The Time Machine

Ozma of Oz

The Adventures of Peter Pan

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Correspondent
luv2read29
0 Kudos

I HAD TO READ MY 2 FAVORITE CLASSICS IN HIGH SCHOOL MANY YEARS AGO NOW THAT I HAVE A TEENAGE SON I HAVE REVISITED THEM. 1984 AND TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD. I WILL ALSO BUT OF MICE AND MEN INTO THE MIX.