Reader
Miranda23
0 Kudos

Re: Walden: Introductions - Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

My name is Miranda and am a recent college graduate. The only Jane Austen novel I have read so far is Pride and Prejudice. I am looking forward to enjoying Emma.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Classic Introductions: Introduce Yourself Here!

ForeverReading wrote:

Hi Everyone

I'm Caleh, a Professional Writing major and Great Texts minor at Baylor University. I just recently found the Classics page here and noticed everyone is reading Emma. As I received my first copy of the novel as a Christmas present this year, needless to say I was excited! Looking forward to all the great discussion!

Welcome, Caleh!  Glad to have you with us for EMMA!  Talk about timely for you, eh?  :smileywink:  Jump right in.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

EltonRay wrote:

I am Elton Ray.  Actually, that was my grandfather's name.  He was a wonderful man who had only a sixth grade education.  He was the smartest and kindest man I've ever known.  I chose his name as my pen name in his honor and his memory.  I aspire to achieve the richness of peace and wisdom that he shared with everyone who was blessed with his presence.

I spent nine years in the US Navy as a RADAR Technician, and three of those years teaching new technicians.  I have always had a love of reading, but I have really come to appreciate the early American authors, especially those of the short story genre.  A couple of my favorites are Herman Melville and Edgar Alan Poe.

I have tried to get into the modern day short story authors, but the nature of modern short story writing reflects today's social trend of hurriedness and abruptness.  The early short story writers wrote elegantly, and in detail.

Enough of the long-winded intro.  I look forward to enjoying discussions and the exploration of classic authors.

Welcome to the Classics Book Club, "Elton Ray!"  I think that's a wonderful way to choose a screen-name--honoring a relative like that.  What a great idea!

We do talk about short stories from time to time, but we're doing a novel this month, as you can see.  We're following the January PBS Masterpiece Classic schedule for January, where they're premiering a new film adaptation of Jane Austen's EMMA.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
Ashley1082
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Ashley.  I joined this group because I am looking forward to revisiting some classics and also reading some new ones.  My favorite of all time is A Tale of Two Cities -- I just love the way that Dickens writes.  I think I'm too late for Emma - but I can't wait to get started with Alice in Wonderland next month!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ashley1082 wrote:

Hello,

My name is Ashley.  I joined this group because I am looking forward to revisiting some classics and also reading some new ones.  My favorite of all time is A Tale of Two Cities -- I just love the way that Dickens writes.  I think I'm too late for Emma - but I can't wait to get started with Alice in Wonderland next month!

Welcome, Ashley!  You can always add to discussions from previous months, too.  That's part of how the club works, so feel free to do that if you wish.  Yes; ALICE should be great fun next month!  Glad to have you!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
jnicho
0 Kudos

Hello!  I love classic literature and embarked on a mission of reading as many classics as possible several years ago.  Part of my motivation was the fact that as a highschool student, I read few classics because educators in the 80s appeared to abandon the time-tested methods of teaching English through assigning classic literature; we were instead assigned such schlock as "Watership Down" (I know, I know - some people love that book, but compared to Dickens and Dosteovsky, it's schlock.)  Anyway, I'm fighting to catch up and read books that I SHOULD have read twenty years ago. 

I have never been part of a book club, and I will be joining the discussion for Alice in February. Right now, I'm reading Moby Dick, and as much as it is a wonderful book, it would be more fun if I had someone to talk about it with!  So I thought joining this club for my next read would be an interesting experience.  I have read both Alice and Looking Glass before, but again, it was in a vacuum, so I think it will be worth re-reading.  Looking forward to sharing with you all!

JoAnna

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

JoAnna -- do you live anywhere near Mystic, CT?

They do a 24 hour read of Moby Dick on board one of the vessels there every year.  It is a fun experience to enjoy once in a lifetime or multiple times, depending on one's inclinations.

The classics were always my bane on standardized tests back in the '50's.  The travelling libraries in our schools had few classics, nor did our permanent collection.  But, now in my sixties, after a scientific, rather than a literary, education and career I am enjoying the classics, although I haven't given up my love of more current writings. 

I have not read Watership Down, but reviews suggest it might be one of those books worth revisiting with a different perspective at another stage in one's life.  That, too, is the beauty of most classics.  I almost never re-read a book until I started to read classics regularly.  They are often almost too rich and nuanced to be grasped in a single read, but only grow in impact with re-visiting.

Look forward to your posts.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
laCommunarde
0 Kudos

Hey. My name is Kate.  I think the books I like best would fall under classics... basically anything Victor Hugo, particularly his Les Miserables, his Quatrevingt-Treize (also translated as 93) and his L'Annee Terrible.  I also have a small adoration of / obsession with various political pamphlets from the 18th and 19th centuries, namely Rousseau, Marat and Mill.  Anyone share a love of any of these?

Contributor
BookAholicInVT
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Erika. I am just ending my 9 year job of working for a bookstore. I love to read ( I call myself a Bookaholic). I will read just about any genre, but I am not much of a fan of non-ficiton. I was a history major in college and I think I had to read to many poorly written non-fiction books. I didn't have to read many of the classics in school so now I am choosing to read them for fun. Oh, I should probably mention that I read at least one book a day.

You can never have to many books.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

jnicho wrote:

Hello!  I love classic literature and embarked on a mission of reading as many classics as possible several years ago.  Part of my motivation was the fact that as a highschool student, I read few classics because educators in the 80s appeared to abandon the time-tested methods of teaching English through assigning classic literature; we were instead assigned such schlock as "Watership Down" (I know, I know - some people love that book, but compared to Dickens and Dosteovsky, it's schlock.)  Anyway, I'm fighting to catch up and read books that I SHOULD have read twenty years ago. 

I have never been part of a book club, and I will be joining the discussion for Alice in February. Right now, I'm reading Moby Dick, and as much as it is a wonderful book, it would be more fun if I had someone to talk about it with!  So I thought joining this club for my next read would be an interesting experience.  I have read both Alice and Looking Glass before, but again, it was in a vacuum, so I think it will be worth re-reading.  Looking forward to sharing with you all!

JoAnna

Welcome, JoAnna!  It will be a hoot to have you with us for ALICE.  MOBY DICK is an adventure in more ways than one.  We should take it on here sometime and spend a few months on it.  In the meantime, we look forward to reading ALICE with you!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

laCommunarde wrote:

Hey. My name is Kate.  I think the books I like best would fall under classics... basically anything Victor Hugo, particularly his Les Miserables, his Quatrevingt-Treize (also translated as 93) and his L'Annee Terrible.  I also have a small adoration of / obsession with various political pamphlets from the 18th and 19th centuries, namely Rousseau, Marat and Mill.  Anyone share a love of any of these?

Welcome, Kate!  It's great to have you with us.  I don't remember reading the pamphlets you speak of, though I may have very well read a couple of them along the way in grad. school or somewhere.  What is it you like about them? 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re:Introductions - Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

BookAholicInVT wrote:

Hi! My name is Erika. I am just ending my 9 year job of working for a bookstore. I love to read ( I call myself a Bookaholic). I will read just about any genre, but I am not much of a fan of non-ficiton. I was a history major in college and I think I had to read to many poorly written non-fiction books. I didn't have to read many of the classics in school so now I am choosing to read them for fun. Oh, I should probably mention that I read at least one book a day.

Welcome, Erika!  One book a day?  Wow--I WISH I could read that fast and remember what I read.  It's a gift that a member of my family has, and I admire it so much.  I'm a rather slow reader, and I need to re-read to remember much of the time.  I also tend to annotate as I read--a trait I picked up from teaching so much and also from writing scholarly and academic books and papers about literature.  I can't seem to read without a pen in my hand these days!  Ha.  Glad to have you with us!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
marych

Like most who join book clubs.. I love books. But more so I love sharing ideas discovered by reading great books.  I have tried my own blog "waiting on the bank" since I retired last summer with little response.  I live in a remote part of Idaho especially in the winter.  So I am very excited to be part of a book club that reads classics.  I find that "great" books can be read more than once with new insights every time.  I am excited to be part of your discussions

Thanks for being there

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

marych wrote:

Like most who join book clubs.. I love books. But more so I love sharing ideas discovered by reading great books.  I have tried my own blog "waiting on the bank" since I retired last summer with little response.  I live in a remote part of Idaho especially in the winter.  So I am very excited to be part of a book club that reads classics.  I find that "great" books can be read more than once with new insights every time.  I am excited to be part of your discussions

Thanks for being there

Mary -- Welcome!  This can be a great spot to discuss books1  Hope you find it so. (Although I grew up in the Midwest, Idaho is one of the states I have never visited.)

Do note that the Epics board also reads classics together.  We are starting Beowulf this month, most of us probably with a Seamus Heaney version, even though the board is featuring a link to the B&N Classics version.

Pepper

Beowulf  (Seamus Heaney)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

marych wrote:

Thanks for being there

Welcome, marych!  It's great to have you with us. I think several of us live in a kind of "cultural wasteland," so to speak, as far as finding many like-minded folks who want to talk about books on a cold winter's night, so this kind of forum has been great for so many of us.  I hope you enjoy the club even 1/2 as much as many of us do!

We have a guest this week, so you're joining at a great time, too!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Miranda23 wrote:

My name is Miranda and am a recent college graduate. The only Jane Austen novel I have read so far is Pride and Prejudice. I am looking forward to enjoying Emma.

My dear, Miranda23--did I skip welcoming you?  My goodness, if I did I most hearily apologize!  If I did post a welcome, well, then here's another!  I hope you're enjoying EMMA!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
PrincessSM
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Natasha and I'm stage manager. I'm really excited that I've found this group online. :c) I especially look forward to discussing "Alice" with other readers. I have to admit that she (and the Dormouse) stole my heart a few years ago.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions - Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

PrincessSM wrote:

Hi! My name is Natasha and I'm stage manager. I'm really excited that I've found this group online. :c) I especially look forward to discussing "Alice" with other readers. I have to admit that she (and the Dormouse) stole my heart a few years ago.

Welcome, Natasha!  We'll love to hear your comments on ALICE any time.  Just jump right in! 

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
cvjacobs
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Cheryl.  I'm a fiction writer and have to read a lot of classics.  I thought joining a book club would help me to accomplish that goal.  I last read Alice when I was a teenager and loved it.  I've read the first two chapters of Alice already.

Looking forward to chatting with the group,

Cheryl

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

cvjacobs wrote:

Hi,

My name is Cheryl.  I'm a fiction writer and have to read a lot of classics.  I thought joining a book club would help me to accomplish that goal.  I last read Alice when I was a teenager and loved it.  I've read the first two chapters of Alice already.

Looking forward to chatting with the group,

Cheryl

Welcome, Cheryl!  Hope you enjoy the club.  Jump right in any time!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]