Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lingling-cat
0 Kudos

Re: Classic Introductions: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello, I'm Lingling Cat and I love the classics such any & all of Mark Twain's writings, Shakespeare, Milton, Homer, Sopocles, and others.  I just  enjoy reading  I think I've read everyone from Dumas to Shakespeare & from Poe to Twain and loved every second.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

MissDaisyDarcy wrote:

HI,

I am big fan of Pride and Prejudice, especially of Mr Darcy. I just read a really good book about him "Mr. Darcy's Diary" by Amanda Grange. It's really good...and it's also kind of funny. I really enjoyed it.

I'll get the one you adviced...

MDD

Welcome, MissDaisyDarcy!  Hope you enjoy your time here.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

lingling-cat wrote:

Hello, I'm Lingling Cat and I love the classics such any & all of Mark Twain's writings, Shakespeare, Milton, Homer, Sopocles, and others.  I just  enjoy reading  I think I've read everyone from Dumas to Shakespeare & from Poe to Twain and loved every second.

I know what you mean, lingling-cat.  I love to read, too, and I think most of our members here do.  It feels like such a luxury, it seems, the older we get.  Anyway...welcome!  I hope you enjoy the Classics Book Club even half as much as many of us do!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Ginger_Boileau
0 Kudos

Returning to Classics

I love classics and in college I was an English major.  However, I find that since college I haven't been reading as many of the classics and I want to get back to it.

Ginger

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Returning to Classics

Ginger_Boileau wrote:

I love classics and in college I was an English major.  However, I find that since college I haven't been reading as many of the classics and I want to get back to it.

Ginger

Welcome, Ginger!  It's great to have you with us.  Hope you enjoy Bel-Ami!

Bel-Ami 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula
0 Kudos

My name is Anette and I came here mainly because I love the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker.

"Alles brennt, wenn die Flamme nur heiss genug ist. Die Welt ist nichts als ein Schmelztiegel."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AnetteTepesDracula wrote:

My name is Anette and I came here mainly because I love the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Welcome, Anette!  We're no longer focusing on Dracula in the club, but you're welcome to add comments to those threads any time.  Maybe one of the other books will interest you as well.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
BillyBannister
0 Kudos

Re: Walden: Introductions - Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

So far, I love the club. By the way, I have about 240 pages left.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Walden: Introductions - Introduce Yourself to the Group Here!

BillyBannister wrote:

So far, I love the club. By the way, I have about 240 pages left.

That's great, Billy!  Keep going!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
MichellePillow
0 Kudos

I've been reading the classics since High School. Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is a favorite.

Pride and Prejudice (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Pride and Prejudice: The Wild and Wanton Edition
by Michelle Pillow & Jane Austen ~ Coming Jan 14, 2011

Author of All Things Romance
www.MichellePillow.com
New User
Belle25
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm Belle25. I love reading the classics. I look for books with some sort of meaning, but also entertaining. I'm not a big fan of the sob stories, and I don't do pointless stories very well. I love books with happy endings like Jane Eyre, but I also love action, like in Jurassic Park. Epic stories like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings are also big winners for me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Belle25 wrote:

Hey, I'm Belle25. I love reading the classics. I look for books with some sort of meaning, but also entertaining. I'm not a big fan of the sob stories, and I don't do pointless stories very well. I love books with happy endings like Jane Eyre, but I also love action, like in Jurassic Park. Epic stories like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings are also big winners for me.

Welcome, Belle!

I'm curious.  If you read Bel Ami, the current Classics Board selection, (welcome, even if you haven't -- I have long been a member of a Book Club with the cardinal rule, not reading the book is never an excuse for nonattendance -- and we DO discuss our book each month), do you consider it a "pointless" story?

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

MichellePillow wrote:

I've been reading the classics since High School. Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is a favorite.

Pride and Prejudice (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Welcome, Michelle!  I hope you enjoy visiting the Classics Book Club.  We're reading BEL-AMI this month.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Belle25 wrote:

Welcome, Belle25!  I think I know what you mean about books that have meaning but are also entertaining.  It's great when a book can do both.  Other than Jane Eyre, it sounds like you enjoy fantasy or sci-fi quite a bit?  Would you say that's true?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
muser_miki
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Miki.

I'm 14 and love to read any kind of classic. Modern books don't usually get a positive reaction out of me.

My favorite author is Jack London, he's a proper genius. HIs book "The Sea Wolf" is my favorite. I also love George Orwell, with "1984", and J.D. Salinger with "The Catcher in the Rye". I am a big science-fiction fan. I love HG Wells and Philip K. Dick (Though I am not sure he counts as a classic author)

Also, I would love to share that I am a HUGE fan of the band Muse, even though that has nothing to do with this forum haha...

Well, I'm totally new here and I'll see if I can get acquainted (sp) with some of the other posters :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well. -Jack London

I'm Miki, an obsessor of Jack London and MUSE.