Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Classics Chat and Introductions

Flyweight wrote:

Hello, All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I bought a Nook (my first ereader) a few weeks ago and have been downloading books like crazy, especially the free classics BN has been offering.  This has rekindled my interest in the classics.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's selected for this month's reading.  I have no suggestions at this point --  I know I will be happy with whatever the choice!

Cheers for now.

HI Fly!!   go ahead and PM me any of your possible choices to read!  Even if you will be happy with whatever, why not give your 5cents worth!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, I just found this board and I am so happy I did.  I absolutely LOVE the Classics and can't wait to get started with all of you.  Can anyone update me on how this board works, what the next selection is and when it will start.  Thanks again everyone and can't wait to discuss.

:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

So who has read any of the novels of the new Nobel Laurete, Mario Vargas Llosa?

Do you have recommendations for the rest of us?

I enjoyed parts of this

The Perpetual Orgy  while we were discussing Madame Bovary,

and I understand

The Bad Girl  is Llosa's quite original modern take on the story line.  I have been wanting to read it and used the author's new celebrity as an excuse to order it this afternoon.

Others that seem to be major include:

The Feast of the Goat  Published 2000/2001.  Set in the Dominican Republic.

The War of the End of the World Published 1981,  Called fourth major novel.  Set in remote Brazil.

The Green House  Published 1965. Considered an early masterpiece.

The Time of the Hero  Published 1963.  Set among a community of cadets in a Lima military school.  First novel.

Conversation in the Cathedral  Published 1969.  Has been called Llosa's most bitter novel.

Captain Pantoja and the Special Service  (1973) Satire.

For others with dates of publication and brief descriptions, see Llosa's Wikipedia entry.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dulcinea3

Peppermill wrote:

So who has read any of the novels of the new Nobel Laurete, Mario Vargas Llosa?

When I started studying Spanish literature in college, I took a course on Latin American novels (from reading the wikipedia article you posted and following a link, I find they were all from the 'Latin American Boom' movement).  In general, I came to prefer Spanish literature to Latin American, and I wasn't crazy about a few of the works that we studied, but we did read Pantaleón y Las Visitadoras (apparently Captain Pantoja and the Special Service), and I enjoyed it.  I can't really remember anything about it other than the main plot premise of the prostitutes, but I found it quite humorous.  I also used to see Vargas Llosa on TV, on the news or whatever, from time to time (I think he was involved in politics), and was impressed by his humor and intelligence.  The other book that we read in that class that I loved was Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and I liked that one enough that I pursued reading other works of his on my own.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill

Re: Classics Chat and Introductions -- The Future

[ Edited ]
27 October 1828
Nathaniel Hawthorne anonymously published his first novel, Fanshawe, at his own expense.
Tidbit from  The Orlando Project site.
Fanshawe  by Nathaniel Hawthorne
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

HELLO?!?!  Anyone still around?  I am FINALLY back in the internet!  I was having withdrawls here! I have very limited access at work (for playing).  My modem was failing and finally fried.  

Glad to be back in the 21st century!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Peppermill
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

HELLO?!?!  Anyone still around?  I am FINALLY back in the internet!  I was having withdrawls here! I have very limited access at work (for playing).  My modem was failing and finally fried.  

Glad to be back in the 21st century!

Hope your health is back, too, Lisa.

I got stuck over on the Fiction board with Daughters of the Witching Hill last month.  I am also going to be tied up much of the first part of November.  But will be back eventually.  I am still enjoying Phantom of the Opera -- have more or less given it priority for a few days.

Pepper

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Happy Thanksgiving

"The First Thanksgiving" (1915), by Jean Louis Gerome Ferris (American painter, 1863-1930).

Doubt this is particularly authentic, but still a rather pleasant romanticized perspective.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

While reading some of the viewpoints on the expurgated version of Mark Twain's Huck Finn, I stumbled across this slide show of the homes of a few famous American authors, including Jack London, Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Melville, Mark Twain, and Ernest Hemingway.  Not a great slide show, but interesting enough that I am posting it here for any that may find it of interest.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/01/13/searching-for-inspiration-at-the-homes-of-famous-writers/t...

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Pepper, thanks for always bringing us interesting things!

A thread was posted on the Community board about Poe, and it sounded like we might get some interest in discussing Poe.  If Lisa doesn't mind, I would like to propose that either next month or the following, we do just that.  I was thinking that each person who wants to participate could choose a story, and post a thread for it.  I think that we should omit any that we have already discussed, although certainly those threads could be posted on and brought to the top, to continue the earlier discussions.

The Fall of the House of Usher

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Fall-of-the-House-of-Usher-quot-Poe/td-p/27...

The Purloined Letter

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Purloined-Letter-quot-Poe/td-p/264548/jump-...

The Cask of Amontillado

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Cask-of-Amontillado-quot-Poe/td-p/272489/ju...

Who's in?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Pepper, thanks for always bringing us interesting things!

A thread was posted on the Community board about Poe, and it sounded like we might get some interest in discussing Poe.  If Lisa doesn't mind, I would like to propose that either next month or the following, we do just that.  I was thinking that each person who wants to participate could choose a story, and post a thread for it.  I think that we should omit any that we have already discussed, although certainly those threads could be posted on and brought to the top, to continue the earlier discussions.

The Fall of the House of Usher

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Fall-of-the-House-of-Usher-quot-Poe/td-p/27...

The Purloined Letter

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Purloined-Letter-quot-Poe/td-p/264548/jump-...

The Cask of Amontillado

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Classics/quot-The-Cask-of-Amontillado-quot-Poe/td-p/272489/ju...

Who's in?

Dulcinea -- I like your proposal, but am up to my eyeballs in committed readings until at least March.  Still, if you get enough interest for February, I might try to read and comment on at least one of the choices by someone else.  It has been awhile since I read Poe and the recent buzz has perked my attention. 

Thanks for taking this initiative.  Given her expressed attitudes, I expect Llisa will approve, but I should and will let her speak for herself.

Pepper

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

March is fine with me, Pepper.  I wouldn't at all mind reading mysteries in February and putting a dent in my TBR pile, in that category at least!  We recently listed our TBRs on that board, and I found I had 20!

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  I've been gone for a long time and was afraid this board had disappeared.  I would love to get back into the readings and boards.  Poe is a favorite and I would definitely love to read it whenever anyone was willing and able!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Kristy!  We're still hanging in here, although I think we should probably try to get some discussions going soon in order to justify this board's continued existence!  Now it's kind of an amalgamation of former boards (the old British Classics and American Classics boards, as well as the more recent Shakespeare board), and I really don't want to lose the presence of a board devoted to classic literature altogether.  They let Connie go, and we now have a volunteer moderator, Lisa.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I have participated in all those in the past and definitely don't want to lose the classics board.  I'm sorry to hear about Connie, she was great.  I look forward to getting to know Lisa.  Let me know when everyone wants to get started.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

The following may be of interest to some of you who follow English classics:

Tour of Literary England

Proposed Itinerary

(Kirkridge is a retreat center in the Poconos.)

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm Nancy, a longtime mostly lurker, reintroducing myself.  This is from My Profile,

My favorite activities: Playing with my grandkids, reading, riding my motorcycle, listening to music, cross stitch and knitting. All in revolving order depending on mood, weather and deadlines. Semi-retired from the world of finance. Married. 4 kids. 5 grandkids. Reside in beautiful Washington state USA.

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy!!!  I remember you, but I don't think I've seen you around much lately (or maybe just not on the boards that I frequent).  I'm so glad you're going to join us for Poe!!!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm Nancy, a longtime mostly lurker, reintroducing myself.  This is from My Profile,

My favorite activities: Playing with my grandkids, reading, riding my motorcycle, listening to music, cross stitch and knitting. All in revolving order depending on mood, weather and deadlines. Semi-retired from the world of finance. Married. 4 kids. 5 grandkids. Reside in beautiful Washington state USA.

Nancy -- great to hear from you!

Contributor
KarenBerner
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just registered today and am really happy to find this discussion. I'm a lover of the Classics and was an English major in college. I did not know then that those days of having to read for assignments were such a luxury! :smileyvery-happy:

I am a mom, writer/editor and anglophile. I also love football (Bears!), wine and playing Rock Band with my kids.

I am looking forward to some great conversations.

Karen

A Whisper to a Scream 

Karen Wojcik Berner
www.karenberner.com