Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

Re: Classics: New Year's Resolutions?

I have a stack of books that I want to get through this year. Some are classics like Wuthering Heights, The Age of Innocence, Vanity Fair, The Canterbury Tales, Dracula and Utopia. Others include A Short History of Nearly Everything and some Ayn Rand novels/ short stories. The one book I would like to try to finish this year is The Jungle. I started reading it last winter for one of my college classes and decided that it was one of the most depressing books I have ever attempted. I only made it half way through before I switched to Oliver Twist. I would also like to read some more Henry James.
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

The one book I would like to try to finish this year is The Jungle. I started reading it last winter for one of my college classes and decided that it was one of the most depressing books I have ever attempted. I only made it half way through before I switched to Oliver Twist.

I would suggest you skip the rest of The Jungle.  It's mostly more of the same, and the conditions it documents are way in the past.  It was an important book at the time, but the other books on your list are, IMO, much more valuable reading. 

simple_girl wrote:
I have a stack of books that I want to get through this year. Some are classics like Wuthering Heights, The Age of Innocence, Vanity Fair, The Canterbury Tales, Dracula and Utopia. Others include A Short History of Nearly Everything and some Ayn Rand novels/ short stories. The one book I would like to try to finish this year is The Jungle. I started reading it last winter for one of my college classes and decided that it was one of the most depressing books I have ever attempted. I only made it half way through before I switched to Oliver Twist. I would also like to read some more Henry James.

0 Kudos

Exactly what I was just thinking!

Everyman wrote:

The one book I would like to try to finish this year is The Jungle. I started reading it last winter for one of my college classes and decided that it was one of the most depressing books I have ever attempted. I only made it half way through before I switched to Oliver Twist.

I would suggest you skip the rest of The Jungle.  It's mostly more of the same, and the conditions it documents are way in the past.  It was an important book at the time, but the other books on your list are, IMO, much more valuable reading. 

simple_girl wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

LovelyLight89 wrote:

My New Year's Resolutions usually have something to do with procrastinating less. Every semester, I vow to be more responsible with my time; every semester, I still end up writing almost every paper the night before it's due, or even the morning of. I'm not going to be too ambitious this year - I know I'll end up wasting time, but I'm going to make a resolution that when I don't feel like doing work, I'll try to read more instead of turning on the tv or surfing the internet. First on the list is Charlotte Bronte's Villette, and then I'm hoping to get to some more George Eliot books. Middlemarch and The Mill on the Floss are some of my favorite books ever written, so I'd really like to read more of Eliot's novels. I might try to keep up with the reading schedule here first.

Jessica 

Jessica, just to let you know that we're doing Silas Marner by George Eliot in February on the Literature by Women board.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Thanks dulcinea!

yes, we are going to read Eliot's Silas Marner in Febrary.  Everyone is welcome :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

LovelyLight89 wrote:

My New Year's Resolutions usually have something to do with procrastinating less. Every semester, I vow to be more responsible with my time; every semester, I still end up writing almost every paper the night before it's due, or even the morning of. I'm not going to be too ambitious this year - I know I'll end up wasting time, but I'm going to make a resolution that when I don't feel like doing work, I'll try to read more instead of turning on the tv or surfing the internet. First on the list is Charlotte Bronte's Villette, and then I'm hoping to get to some more George Eliot books. Middlemarch and The Mill on the Floss are some of my favorite books ever written, so I'd really like to read more of Eliot's novels. I might try to keep up with the reading schedule here first.

Jessica 

Jessica, just to let you know that we're doing Silas Marner by George Eliot in February on the Literature by Women board.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

Thanks dulcinea!

yes, we are going to read Eliot's Silas Marner in Febrary.  Everyone is welcome :smileyhappy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

LovelyLight89 wrote:

Jessica 

Yes, I have managed to move into 'Middlemarch', it was a slow start for me but I'm glad I stayed with it, because it's a wonderful story.  I should be done with it and ready for 'Silas Marner' by February.  I definately want to read and study more of George Eliot's works.

~ book-nut

New User
Bookworm36
0 Kudos

Hello,

This year I would like to read "A Tale of Two of Two Cities" and "Beowulf"

Bookwork36

Bookworm36

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -- Benjamin Franklin
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

Bookworm36 wrote:

Hello,

This year I would like to read "A Tale of Two of Two Cities" and "Beowulf"

Bookwork36

I read 'Tale of Two Cities' finally within the past few years.  I don't remember if it was in this book club or another one, but I ended up enjoying it VERY much.  :-)  ~ book-nut
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I have made so many reading resolutions for 2009. Last year I tried to maintain a schedule to read a lot of books including classics. This year my resolutions are to read about 2 literature books a month because I have to study too many things to my doctors. I'll include "The collected stories of Ketherine Mansfield", "Don Quixote" (Miguel de Cervantes), "David Copperfield" (Charles Dickens - unabridged - I read an adaptated version a long time ago), Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck), The portrait of the artist as a young man (James Joyce). I know a lot of good indications will appear and as soon as possible and I will catch some of them according to my spare time.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:
I have made so many reading resolutions for 2009. Last year I tried to maintain a schedule to read a lot of books including classics. This year my resolutions are to read about 2 literature books a month because I have to study too many things to my doctors. I'll include "The collected stories of Ketherine Mansfield", "Don Quixote" (Miguel de Cervantes), "David Copperfield" (Charles Dickens - unabridged - I read an adaptated version a long time ago), Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck), The portrait of the artist as a young man (James Joyce). I know a lot of good indications will appear and as soon as possible and I will catch some of them according to my spare time.

Ooh. So many good classics listed here, marci!  I almost envy your first readings of them!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
PhoebesMom
0 Kudos

I read Middlemarch & Adam Bede both in 2008.  I loved both of the these books, though I think that Adam Bede was my favorite.  Perhaps because Middlemarch is a harder read.  But also because I loved the characters in Adam Bede.  I won't part with either of  these books, they will be books that I will read again.  I highly recommend them both.
Inspired Contributor
PhoebesMom
0 Kudos

Villette is on my short list of  favorite books.  It is a truly rich and wonderful treasure.  I'm sure that you will love it.
Frequent Contributor
lilacbouquet
0 Kudos

Agreed! I love Villette. I had to read it in 11th grade for our "book club" (our class split up into different author book groups, mine was the Bronte sisters). I definitely would like to re-read it, and hopefully it will be sometime this year.

PhoebesMom wrote:
Villette is on my short list of  favorite books.  It is a truly rich and wonderful treasure.  I'm sure that you will love it.

- Emily
"The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it." - Elizabeth Drew