Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Coming up for October and November

Just wanted to post a quick reminder of the October and November selections so folks have enough time to procure the material.

For October: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

Barnes & Noble Classic Series (Paperback, ebook)

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy  

Barnes & Noble Vook Classics (ebook)

For Novemer: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale  

Barnes & Noble (Paperback, ebook)

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: Coming up for October and November

Desert_Brat wrote:

Just wanted to post a quick reminder of the October and November selections so folks have enough time to procure the material.

For October: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

Barnes & Noble Classic Series (Paperback, ebook)

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy  

Barnes & Noble Vook Classics (ebook)

For Novemer: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale  

Barnes & Noble (Paperback, ebook)

I just bought a used hardcover copy of the 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' with a projected delivery date of Sept. 30.

I don't think I ever read 'The Handmaiden's Tale', but I do have vague memories of the some sort of servant class of women forced to bear children. I don't think I'll be reading that book.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the reminder, Desert_Brat!

Congratulations to Jill_Marie for moderating Gone with the Wind!  Looks like she did a great job and you all had a good discussion!

I tried to look at my PMs to see who had nominated The Scarlet Pimpernel, but it looks like I somehow deleted them, so I don't remember who it was.  If whoever did is still around, will you be willing to moderate?  Or if not, any volunteers?  I'll bump up my post where I gave some guidelines on moderating, so it's readily available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I see that we did the nominations publicly in a thread, and only the voting was done by PM.  Desert_Brat nominated The Scarlet Pimpernel, so will you be comfortable moderating it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

I see that we did the nominations publicly in a thread, and only the voting was done by PM.  Desert_Brat nominated The Scarlet Pimpernel, so will you be comfortable moderating it?

No problem. I believe that I had also nominated the other selection, The Handmaid's Tale, as a near-modern classic. That's why I posted both together as "coming up." I can't remember for sure, so of course I will defer to the nominator.

I was sorry to see another poster's rather abrupt "I won't be reading it" for The Handmaid's Tale. This book won the first-ever Arthur C. Clarke award for best science fiction.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Sorry I disappointed you Desert_Brat, but I believe that the candid truth is better than an excuse/waffling when I don't plan to read a book. I have no doubt that The Handmaiden's Tale is a readable classic, but its thematic subject just doesn't appeal to me. 

On a positive note, I received my copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel today.:smileyhappy: 

Peppermill
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

Sorry I disappointed you Desert_Brat, but I believe that the candid truth is better than an excuse/waffling when I don't plan to read a book. I have no doubt that The Handmaiden's Tale is a readable classic, but its thematic subject just doesn't appeal to me. 

On a positive note, I received my copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel today.:smileyhappy: 

Dainewt -- I am one of those people who doesn't like The Handmaid's Tale; enough so that for a time it soured me on even considering other works by Margaret Atwood, its author.  It is a dystopian tale -- rather like Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four  or Huxley's Brave New World.   Still, I would encourage reading it, if not a total, total turn-off, just because it is so widely discussed, including its use in high school literature curriculums.

And I have no further vested interests if you still say "NO, thanks!"  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy