Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

GWTW: Favorite Characters

Quite honestly, I don't know if I can pick a favorite character! Maybe the thread should be called "Least Favorite Characters" instead? I guess if I had to pick, Rhett Butler would be my favorite. He doesn't care what people think of him and likes to piss people off, which is pretty amusing. He is often a pretty big jerk though, and racist as are many of the characters. The racism makes it pretty hard for me to like any of the characters, actually. Oh well.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Contributor
Earth72
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Characters

It is off putting to realize this behavior was once the norm.

My favorite character, at this point, is Ellen O'Hara.

"He's the idealist, he's the dreamer of a beautiful dream, and even if the dream doesn't come true, it's rather thrilling to have dreamt it" - W. Somerset Maugham
Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

My votes go out to Rhett and Mammy!  Melanie is a sweetheart, but I think she's just a little too....wholesome (?)....to be my favorite.  Rhett doesn't care what anyone thinks, and as much of an a** as he might be, he's still devilishly charming.  And Mammy is so no-nonsense I can't help but like her.  Can't say I'd really want to be on Mammy's bad side, though.

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

I think my favorite characters were Rhett and Melanie.  The first part of the novel they seemed so one dimensional to me- Rhett was a bit of a rake and Melanie was too much of a goodie goodie...kinda irritating actually!

But as the novel progressed you learned that there was so much depth to them, yes Rhett was a bit of a rake but he also loved very deeply and devotedly in his own way. Melanie was a bit of a shock in some bits of the book! How she acted with the soldier that breaks into the house and when  Ashley and the men get into a bit of trouble...she was quite cunning and a quick thinker.

On the flip side of this though, the one character I could not stand was Ashley! Scarlett didn't really bother me that much, yes she was a brat, but she did what she felt she had to do to survive....I wouldn't do the things she did but I can understand that. But Ashley was quite irritating to me!

-----------Willowy----------