Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎08-29-2009
0 Kudos

GWTW: Favorite Quotes

If you come across some good quotes, please share! (With page numbers, please!)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Contributor
Earth72
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎10-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes

Pg. 45 had a good description of Ashley: "He moved in an inner world that was more beautiful than Georgia and came back to reality with reluctance. He looked on people, and neither liked nor disliked them. He looked on life and was neither heartened nor saddened. He accepted the universe and his place in it for what they were..."

 

"He's the idealist, he's the dreamer of a beautiful dream, and even if the dream doesn't come true, it's rather thrilling to have dreamt it" - W. Somerset Maugham
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
Posts: 1,104
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes


Earth72 wrote:

Pg. 45 had a good description of Ashley: "He moved in an inner world that was more beautiful than Georgia and came back to reality with reluctance. He looked on people, and neither liked nor disliked them. He looked on life and was neither heartened nor saddened. He accepted the universe and his place in it for what they were..."

 


How beautiful.  If we were to film GWTW now.  Who would you cast as Ashley?  Based on his description?

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Contributor
Earth72
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎10-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes

Hmmm...Good question! When I first read about Ashley, my image was similar to Jason isaacs (dressed like early Harry Potter). Taking time to think about really casting an actor for the part, I think that Kevin Spacey would be an interesting choice. How fun would it be to see Tim Burton's take on Gone with the Wind. Cast Johnny Depp (Rhett) and Helena Bonham Carter (Scarlett), and I would be first in line.

"He's the idealist, he's the dreamer of a beautiful dream, and even if the dream doesn't come true, it's rather thrilling to have dreamt it" - W. Somerset Maugham
Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎08-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes


Mountain_Muse wrote:

Earth72 wrote:

Pg. 45 had a good description of Ashley: "He moved in an inner world that was more beautiful than Georgia and came back to reality with reluctance. He looked on people, and neither liked nor disliked them. He looked on life and was neither heartened nor saddened. He accepted the universe and his place in it for what they were..."

 


How beautiful.  If we were to film GWTW now.  Who would you cast as Ashley?  Based on his description?



I really liked this quote too! And... I think Robert Pattinson would be a good Ashley. Bookish and delicate looking, not quite the man's man. Too bad he doesn't have blonde hair.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Inspired Contributor
GiveMeTheDimond
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎04-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes

Experience is a creul teacher, but you learn, my God, do you learn.-C.S. Lewis
Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes


Jill_Marie wrote:


I think Robert Pattinson would be a good Ashley. Bookish and delicate looking, not quite the man's man. Too bad he doesn't have blonde hair.



It's Hollywood!  The hair could totally be fixed.  Hmmm...would he look good as a blonde?

 

Anyway, one of my favorites so far (20th Avon Books Edition, page 233):

"He thinks the war is all wrong but he's willing to fight and die anyway, and that takes lots more courage than fighting for something you think is right."

 

This is Melanie talking about the "Cause" and Ashley's attitude towards it.  I just found the quote striking.  Is there anything that anyone here would feel the same way about?  I mean...is there something that you don't necessarily agree with, but you would still consider it worth the risk to fight to uphold it?

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes


Camoena wrote:

Anyway, one of my favorites so far (20th Avon Books Edition, page 233):

"He thinks the war is all wrong but he's willing to fight and die anyway, and that takes lots more courage than fighting for something you think is right."

 

This is Melanie talking about the "Cause" and Ashley's attitude towards it.  I just found the quote striking.  Is there anything that anyone here would feel the same way about?  I mean...is there something that you don't necessarily agree with, but you would still consider it worth the risk to fight to uphold it?


I noticed this quote too.  I can't imagine being willing to die for something I didn't agree with.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes


Fozzie wrote:

Camoena wrote:

Anyway, one of my favorites so far (20th Avon Books Edition, page 233):

"He thinks the war is all wrong but he's willing to fight and die anyway, and that takes lots more courage than fighting for something you think is right."

 

This is Melanie talking about the "Cause" and Ashley's attitude towards it.  I just found the quote striking.  Is there anything that anyone here would feel the same way about?  I mean...is there something that you don't necessarily agree with, but you would still consider it worth the risk to fight to uphold it?


I noticed this quote too.  I can't imagine being willing to die for something I didn't agree with.


 

Me too!  I side more with Scarlett...that's just ridiculous.  Much smarter to be Rhett and avoid having to die needlessly.  Kinda makes you wonder how many men currently in the military really agree with everything they're doing, though.  Hmmm.....

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Favorite Quotes

Chapter Seventeen, page 285:

 

"So Aunt Pitty had her party, ..."

 

I couldn't resist --- A pity party!  I got a chuckle out of this!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.