Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Week 1, 8/1-8/7, Ch. 1-7, NO SPOILERS

Laura -- I hadn't thought so much about that abrupt change in pace and how it reflected the abrupt change in Scarlett's life.  That's a really interesting observation on your part; thanks for mentioning it!

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

This is my first time reading Gone with the Wind and I have never seen the movie.  However, I do vividly remember the comedy sketch from The Carol Burnett show where Carol played Scarlett!  LOL!  I don’t want to say any more because it is a bit of a spoiler!

Yes, many of the women are strong characters.  I loved the back stories on both of Scarlett’s parents.  Both of them are very strong people!  I also liked getting a feel for the culture and norms of the time.  I found the expression in Chapter Six, “He isn’t received,” to be a very interesting way of describing Rhett Butler’s social status.

I don’t know about you all, but I felt almost physically jolted when I read the first sentence of Chapter Seven:  “Within two weeks Scarlett had become a wife, and within two months more she was a widow.”  The first six chapters of the book told of just two days, the day before the barbeque and the day of the barbeque, if I am remembering correctly.  Both the information contained in the first sentence of the chapter and the contrast in the pace of time as compared with the prior part of the book created a such a sense of abruptness that I found myself thinking about how abruptly and quickly Scarlett’s whole life changed.  This was a great technique used by the author!

Yes! I was a little angry when I read that, actually! Haha. I briefly wished I could have read about that portion of the story; but then, I realized that wasn't an important part of the story. If it were, I suppose it would have been included. Anyhow, I thought the same as well, that it did indeed reflect the abrupt change in her life as well. Pretty neat-o.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Fozzie wrote:

I don’t know about you all, but I felt almost physically jolted when I read the first sentence of Chapter Seven:  “Within two weeks Scarlett had become a wife, and within two months more she was a widow.”  The first six chapters of the book told of just two days, the day before the barbeque and the day of the barbeque, if I am remembering correctly.  Both the information contained in the first sentence of the chapter and the contrast in the pace of time as compared with the prior part of the book created a such a sense of abruptness that I found myself thinking about how abruptly and quickly Scarlett’s whole life changed.  This was a great technique used by the author!

In regards to the total (almost) dismissal of a year of Scarlett's life says a lot for how important or unimportant that year was to Scarlett.  For her it was a year of "not living"  The book just picked up again when Scarlett was ready to "get on with living" again.  Marriage, her son, they were totaly unimportant to her and "bothers" to her life and the lifestyle she wanted so to lead.  Scarlett neither loved nor mourned her dead husband.  He didn't even do her the courtesy of dying in an galliant manor.  As if that was a direct insult to her personally.

MM

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Camoena wrote:

Has anyone ever read The Poisonwood Bible?  Scarlett reminds me so very much of the character Rachel in that novel.  I like Scarlett a little better, but perhaps only because of the context of GWTW.

You are so right! I read that book a couple of years ago, but I see what you mean, they are very similar characters. Even though Rachel was a selfish character, I always enjoyed the bits about her and the parts of the book that were from her perspective. Good observation!

-----------Willowy----------