Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

GWTW: Week 9, 9/26-9/30, Ch. 57-63

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Inspired Correspondent
Camoena
0 Kudos

Re: GWTW: Week 9, 9/26-9/30, Ch. 57-63

So I might have gotten a little bit ahead...I finished the book at around 9:30 this evening.  I just got started reading Friday after work and couldn't stop.  I really feel like the book picked up  A LOT in the last 150 or 200 pages.  Not that everything before that was slow, but things did get a little crazy here [in the book].

I have yet to finish re-watching the movie, and now I'm really excited to do so.  Anyone else done yet?  Thoughts on the occurrences?  Or am I wandering alone in my done-ness?

Admittedly, being sick makes me much more prone to reading.  I just think it's easier to curl up in bed with a book until I drift off than sitting up and posting online.  Now, I'm just waiting.....waiting.....

'A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.' --Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

I finished about a month ago! LOL. To be totally honest, I was pretty disappointed with the book. I had such high hopes in the beginning, which I suppose is what did me in. I really loved Rhett and was constantly pissed off with Scarlett, but I did want to see them together in the end. Oh well. Really, the story just didn't do much for me and it was a big investment of time. I kind of wonder what all the hype was about. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be watching the movie any time soon! haha

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

I actually finished a few weeks back as well.  I really really enjoyed it!  I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, it was never a novel I was that motivated to read. I think in my mind I was picturing a really corny romance (have you seen some of the covers ?? They are very bodice ripper-esque lol)  But like you said, the last 150-200 pages I couldn't put it down! I'm about to watch the movie as well and compare it to the book, i'm curious how it holds up against it. The book is so massive and so full of details and characters, I'm sure some/ a lot of it will be cut out..

Have any of you gotten a chance to watch the movie yet?

-----------Willowy----------
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I finished the book last week.  Here's what I wrote in my reading journal:

Whew!  What a long book, but well worth the read.  Even after 75 years, the story and its themes are still relevant today.  I found the book to be part character study of Scarlett and part historical fiction about the Civil War and Reconstruction.  There were many surprising and suspenseful moments.  I would highly recommend this great American classic.

I may watch the movie someday.  I am not a big movie person.

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

I finished the book last week.  Here's what I wrote in my reading journal:

Whew!  What a long book, but well worth the read.  Even after 75 years, the story and its themes are still relevant today.  I found the book to be part character study of Scarlett and part historical fiction about the Civil War and Reconstruction.  There were many surprising and suspenseful moments.  I would highly recommend this great American classic.

I may watch the movie someday.  I am not a big movie person.

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts.

The novel kinda caught me by surprise. I liked a lot more than I thought I would. After I was done reading it I found I was actually rather sad the whole thing was over! I guess because it's such a long book and you get to know the characters and are so involved in this long drama. But I agree, I would highly recommend this to someone else as well.

You should try watching the movie! They did leave quite a bit out sadly, but it was interesting to compare how I imagined some the characters looking and acting like while reading with the movie adaptation.

I just found out our local independent theater is going to do a one night showing of Gone With The Wind next month, so I think I may just have to go see it!

-----------Willowy----------
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

willowy wrote:

The novel kinda caught me by surprise. I liked a lot more than I thought I would. 

Yes, me too!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.