Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Good Classics?

I would like to know really good classics..

I will take any suggestion.:smileyhappy:

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Good Classics?

White Fang, by Jack London
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Anything by Dickens, Jane Austen, or the Brontes.  Vanity Fair by Thackeray.  Tom Jones by Fielding.  And lots and lots of others!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
chesspain
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Anything by Dickens, Jane Austen, or the Brontes.  Vanity Fair by Thackeray.  Tom Jones by Fielding.  And lots and lots of others!

I guess you wouldn't agree with the sentiment expressed by Mark Twain about Jane Austin, in a letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898 : "Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

chesspain wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I guess you wouldn't agree with the sentiment expressed by Mark Twain about Jane Austin, in a letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898 : "Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

No, I guess I wouldn't.  Although I also love Twain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
Daisy_Gatsby

The Great Gatsy obviously:smileyhappy:, The Bell Jar, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Moby Dick...

Some "newer" Classics: Catcher in the Rye, 1984, Animal Farm, Watership Down

Inspired Correspondent
Open-Peacemind
0 Kudos

Thank you!

They all seem really interesting!!

:smileysurprised:

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss
"It's your decision:
are you going to do the right or the wrong?"
~me
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I'm with dulcinea on her picks. I favor Dickens and Wilke Collins also.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

I've loved several by H. G. Wells, such as The Time Machine, and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Also 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. And Treasure Island is wonderful.

Also, I have to recommend our versions of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz series, which has all the original illustrations. I know most people won't believe this, but I'd recommend the Oz books in general, and our versions in particular, even if I wasn't involved in publishing them. The Oz stories are wonderful, and it's a crying shame that many people read the free versions that are out there without realizing they are missing all the illustrations. We've published 5 so far (6th coming soon).

Eltanin Publishing's Oz Series

Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove
0 Kudos

I think one of my favorites is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, I finally sat down and started reading it and now I have a hard time doing other things (cleaning, cooking, etc), all I want to do is read it. It was surprising to me how easy it reads and how quickly Dumas pulls you into the story as the audience. I highly recommend it!

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”
New User
SRiddle
0 Kudos

The Postman Always Rings Twice, Catch-22, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Brave New World----Start with those and you'll be hooked on classics.

Administrator
MarianLewes
0 Kudos

Austen, Austen, and more Austen.