Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

June '09 in Classics!

We have announced the Readers' Choice selections for July and August, but that means June is yet to be named!

Have you noticed the recent upswing in interest in books and popular culture in the subject of vampires?  In June, we'll take on the classic novel, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

From the back cover:

"The most famous figure of seductive evil in Western literature, bloodthirsty Count Dracula has inspired countless movies, books, and plays.  But few, if any, have been fully faithful to Bram Stoker's original best-selling novel of mystery and horror, love and death, sin and redemption.

Written in the form of letters and diary entries, Dracula chronicles the vampire's journey from his Translyvanian castle to the nighttime streets of London.  There, he searches for the blood he needs to stay alive--the blood of strong men and beautiful women--while his enemies plot to rid the world of his frightful power.

In Dracula, Stoker created a new word for terror, a new myth to feed our nightmares, and a character who will undoubtedly outlive us all."

Join us as we start off the summer season with this spooky classic that may make you wish you hadn't gone to that secluded lakeside cottage on the weekend after all!  :smileywink:

Dracula (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: June '09 in Classics!

Wow, my paperback of that novel is really old!  I hope it doesn't fall apart while I'm reading it, like Oliver Twist did! :smileyvery-happy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
DCGuy
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

We have announced the Readers' Choice selections for July and August, but that means June is yet to be named!

Have you noticed the recent upswing in interest in books and popular culture in the subject of vampires?  In June, we'll take on the classic novel, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

From the back cover:

"The most famous figure of seductive evil in Western literature, bloodthirsty Count Dracula has inspired countless movies, books, and plays.  But few, if any, have been fully faithful to Bram Stoker's original best-selling novel of mystery and horror, love and death, sin and redemption.

Written in the form of letters and diary entries, Dracula chronicles the vampire's journey from his Translyvanian castle to the nighttime streets of London.  There, he searches for the blood he needs to stay alive--the blood of strong men and beautiful women--while his enemies plot to rid the world of his frightful power.

In Dracula, Stoker created a new word for terror, a new myth to feed our nightmares, and a character who will undoubtedly outlive us all."

Join us as we start off the summer season with this spooky classic that may make you wish you hadn't gone to that secluded lakeside cottage on the weekend after all!  :smileywink:

Dracula (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Yet another novel in my library that I haven't read yet. *sigh*
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

ConnieK,

What a wonderful choice! My Dracula has been waiting a reading for a long time. I've already seen the film, read an adaptation during my university course, but never dedicated a bit of my time to the original text. Well, I'll try to do it now but I have to share my time between First Look Club and Classics (my two real books "affairs" LOL)

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Somehow I missed Dracula in my teen years when one would expect to read it, and I never went back and picked it up. I'm not much for horror books, but we'll see. 

0 Kudos

Perfect timing! "Dracula" is one of those books that I've always been meaning to read but never got to. It looks like it is next on my list now. I am halfway through "Don Quixote" now and should have it read soon.
John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Glad to hear these enthusiastic responses!  Vampires are "in the air" in many circles these days.  It will be great to go back to the original and check it out!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Codeman85
0 Kudos

Just picked up my copy at B&N the other day.  I have also never had the opportunity to read this classic.  Vampires are certainly a hot thing right now.  I'm not a Twilight fan at all, but I am eagerly anticipating True Blood returning to HBO.  Hope the book can tide me over until then.
New User
Gillybean
0 Kudos

I've already read Dracula, I actually just watched the movie too, the one with Gary Oldman. When everyone has finished the book, they should follow it up with the movie, it almosts matches up completley to the book.

I like TrueBlood as well...right now I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. 

Is Dracula the only book set for June? I'm not sure how this works exactly. 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Codeman85 wrote:
Just picked up my copy at B&N the other day.  I have also never had the opportunity to read this classic.  Vampires are certainly a hot thing right now.  I'm not a Twilight fan at all, but I am eagerly anticipating True Blood returning to HBO.  Hope the book can tide me over until then.

Yes; renewed interest again in vampires started with the Twilight series, it seems, but has moved back to television and is fueling more books and book series.  I must be getting really old--I've seen the vampire wave roll through a few times now over the years--ha!  This is just the latest one. 

Stoker's novel is important in that it popularized the image of the 'modern' vampire that has stayed with us since his novel came out.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Gillybean wrote:

I've already read Dracula, I actually just watched the movie too, the one with Gary Oldman. When everyone has finished the book, they should follow it up with the movie, it almosts matches up completley to the book.

I like TrueBlood as well...right now I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. 

Is Dracula the only book set for June? I'm not sure how this works exactly. 

Thanks for the suggestion, Gillybean.  We will definitely have a thread for Dracula films!  There've been so many!  That in itself will be interesting to talk about.

Yes; Dracula is the only novel for June.  We had more than one/month from Jan. to May this year only because we were following the PBS schedule of Masterpiece Classic.  One book per month is our normal pace.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Airealataiel
0 Kudos

Perfect! I don't have it yet (every time that I go to B&N, I skip past it because I think I do only to get home and find that I don't!) but I will be getting it asap because I've been meaning to read it for quite some time. I can't say that I've ever read a classic thriller/horror novel, so this should be great. :smileyhappy:
-------------------------------------------
People say life is the thing, but I prefer reading. - Logan Pearsall Smith
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Hurry up and buy yours as soon as possible!!! We have less than two weeks to discuss the book LOL. I loved the adaptation with Gary Oldman. We should discuss it in another topic as suggested. I can't wait for this discussion.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Airealataiel wrote:
Perfect! I don't have it yet (every time that I go to B&N, I skip past it because I think I do only to get home and find that I don't!) but I will be getting it asap because I've been meaning to read it for quite some time. I can't say that I've ever read a classic thriller/horror novel, so this should be great. :smileyhappy:

Well, there is always right here as a source for the book, you know, Airealataiel!  You can order it right through BN.com--where you are right now--and get it delivered to your door!  Ha.  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
MissJoMay
0 Kudos

This may seem kind of silly, but as someone with a highly overactive imagination, I was hoping someone who has read Dracula could tell me how scary it is.  Am I going to be able to sleep at night when my roommate is gone? How does it compare to something (in scariness) like Frankenstein?
Jo
"I cannot live without books." -- Thomas Jefferson
bookreadingbookworm.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

MissJoMay wrote:
This may seem kind of silly, but as someone with a highly overactive imagination, I was hoping someone who has read Dracula could tell me how scary it is.  Am I going to be able to sleep at night when my roommate is gone? How does it compare to something (in scariness) like Frankenstein?

How timid are you?

It's not scary at all, really. But if you found Frankenstein scary, you'll find Dracula scary. 

And yes I have an over active imagination too, but I didn't find it scary even when I was 10 so..

Contributor
ChrisJT

I found Dracula to be terrifyingThe descriptions are exceptionally vivid, and it is presented in as a series of letters and diary entries and similar methods, making the entire presentation especially horrificWhen I started reading it, I couldn't put it down, and I don't think I slept for two days.

There have been some beautiful annotated editions of Dracula.  Here are some links to some editions I know:

Leslie Klinger's New Annotated Dracula (Norton).  This is a fabulous deluxe hardcover published in 2008, well illustrated, that discusses many, many points relevant to the storyIt takes as a conceit that Dracula is a true storyGreat fun.

Leonard Wolf's Annotated Dracula (Clarkson Potter).  This 1975 edition deluxe hardcover by was later reproduced (without the extensive illustrations) in several paperback editions, including one by PenguinIt is now out of printIt is a terrific work on its own, and well worth picking up (it is not at all rare), although the availability of Klinger's work makes this a secondary choice.

Auerbach & Skal's Dracula (Norton Critical Edition).  This 1996 softcover is in the familiar Norton Critical Edition format, with moderate annotation in the text, and an extensive anthology of criticism, both contemporary with the novel and modern.

Dracula is one of my favorite novels, and it still scares me.

Reader 2
bmaurone
0 Kudos

Wow, this is one of my favorites.  I can't wait to reread an discuss with everyone.  YEAAAAH
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Excellent!  I'm so pleased to hear from so many of you!  Chris--Thanks a bunch for mentioning those annotated editions and with your comments about each.  That will be so helpful for our members!

I thought I'd mention our selection over in Teen Reads.  Some of the so-called "Twi-hards" might enjoy reading it along with us.  What do you think?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Excellent!  I'm so pleased to hear from so many of you!  Chris--Thanks a bunch for mentioning those annotated editions and with your comments about each.  That will be so helpful for our members!

I thought I'd mention our selection over in Teen Reads.  Some of the so-called "Twi-hards" might enjoy reading it along with us.  What do you think?

I'm not sure which it would fall under, but you might also try the sci-fi and/or paranormal boards, too.  The more, the merrier!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia