Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

LITTLE WOMEN: Louisa May Alcott Biography

Do you have an interest in Alcott's biography as an American author of the nineteenth century?  Have you read any good biographies of her that you'd care to share, comment on, or recommend?

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: LITTLE WOMEN: Louisa May Alcott Biography

Years ago I read and thoroughly enjoyed Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs.

ConnieK wrote:

Do you have an interest in Alcott's biography as an American author of the nineteenth century?  Have you read any good biographies of her that you'd care to share, comment on, or recommend?

~ConnieK

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, Laurel!

~ConnieK

Laurel wrote:

Years ago I read and thoroughly enjoyed Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs.

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
drbethnolan
0 Kudos

I recently read Matteson's Eden's Outcasts, which was great. He won a Pulitzer for it.

I think Stern's biography is a real classic. Her attention to detail is amazing.

My favorite, though, is semi-autobiographical: Edna Cheney's Life, Letters, and Journals, which has excerpts of Louisa's letters, poems, and journal entries from childhood to her death, with Cheney setting the background and putting them in context (Cheney was a family friend, a "student" of Bronson Alcott). Cheney's book may be out of print, but you can often find it on ebay.  -Beth

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch, Beth!  The journals are neat to read, too, as I recall.  Haven't read them in awhile...

~ConnieK

drbethnolan wrote:

I recently read Matteson's Eden's Outcasts, which was great. He won a Pulitzer for it.

I think Stern's biography is a real classic. Her attention to detail is amazing.

My favorite, though, is semi-autobiographical: Edna Cheney's Life, Letters, and Journals, which has excerpts of Louisa's letters, poems, and journal entries from childhood to her death, with Cheney setting the background and putting them in context (Cheney was a family friend, a "student" of Bronson Alcott). Cheney's book may be out of print, but you can often find it on ebay.  -Beth

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]