chad
0 Kudos

Literary Tour Fall Selections!

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Literary Tour Fall Selections!

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure of the order yet- My guess is Treasure Island first- also because of Haloween. But briefly:

"Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson-- the search for an understanding of money continues in this old pirate classic, once again from across the pond!

"The Aeneid" by Vergil- what else could follow "The Iliad", except the "The Odyssey."

"This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. No one captures the importance and feel of the roaring 1920's like F. Scott- and we seem to be a culture that still can't understand them- (the story takes place prior to....)

"The Deerslayer" By James Fennimore Cooper. the story of Natty Bumpo continues in this prequel to the Leatherstocking Tales" -the truth is simply human.

Chad

Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

So, these are the books you are reading and encouraging others to join in on? I have always wanted to read Treasure Island...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Jill_Marie wrote:

So, these are the books you are reading and encouraging others to join in on? I have always wanted to read Treasure Island...

Yes! I usually offer some more alternatives for people who want to join in on a book club! I think I'd like to do "Treasure Island" first if you're interested! But I don't usually start until late August or beginning of September.

Chad

Contributor
mmbrunet
0 Kudos

I'd like to try and follow this Fall bookclub. I'll start with "Treasure Island"after I finish the one I'm reading now (The Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens). Nice selection! =)

Frequent Contributor
Jill_Marie
0 Kudos

Hey! Have you started reading yet? I just cracked Treasure Island open, after finishing GWTW.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

I just started a "Treasure Island" thread. I don't usually break up the novels into chapters- so if you're afraid of ruining your reading experience, just read the whole thing, annd then post.But I usually just try and post comments that won't ruin the reading experience, regardless of where you might be in the novel.

Chad

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

You might want to pick up a copy of Jekyll and Hyde- which I had read earlier. Halloween is closing in on us. But it's Treasure Island for now, with maybe a little Jekyll and Hyde.

Chad