Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Little Women: Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know which of Louisa May Alcott's other novels you have read, and what draws you to Little Women.

And if you've read Little Women, be careful not to post any plot spoilers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
BobbiGalloway
0 Kudos

Re: Little Women: Introduce Yourself

Hello!  This is my first time participating in an online book club.  I have never read Little Women (or any other books by Louisa May Alcott) but bought it several years ago.  When I saw the online book club in an email from B&N I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to read it and to get more insight from others.  I look forward to reading this book and discussing it with everyone else who joins in!
Frequent Contributor
thefamilymanager
0 Kudos

Hi!  I have participated in the New Look Book Clubs from B & N.  Looking forward to participating in this discussion as this has always been one of my favorite books and I'm looking forward to re-reading this. 

I am married and have 2 teenage boys.  Not a ton of time to read but that's my favorite past-time.  Can't wait to meet all of you.

LMD

- if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! - Dorothy - Wizard of OZ
Contributor
drclawgirl
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Danielle.  I have read this book and of course seen the many versions of movies that have come out.  I have participated in one other B&N Online Book Club but I had some family issues going on so I really didn't get to participate as I would like to have done so I am really looking forward to this one.  I'm sure those of us that know the story will learn just as mush as those that have not.  I look forward to hearing what others love about this story.

Contributor
drbethnolan
0 Kudos

Hello! I was thrilled to see this book club listed as I am a huge Alcott fan. I've read LW several times, and I've read just about everything Louisa ever wrote. I've worked at Orchard House, the house museum in Concord where the family lived, and have studied the Alcott family. What can I say? I just love the Alcott family and am continually impressed with the contributions that they made to American literature and life.

I look forward to sharing posts with folks. I've done a few other bookclubs, but rarely have more than one thing to say. Perhaps this time I will!! :smileyhappy:- Beth Nolan Conners

New User
Austengirl7
0 Kudos

Hi,  I've only joined one other group previous to this.  My work schedule dosen't really aloow for it but I am an avid reader (makes my commute go faster).  I think the only book I haven't read by her is Shirley.  I've read this book probably 10 times and it will be interesting to see other people's opinions.  -Pauline
New User
gingellbelle
0 Kudos

Hi!  This is my first time participating in an oline book club.  When I was born, my mother's favorite book was Little Women.  She of course named me Meg.  I have loved Little Women since the first time I read it. 
New User
riotnavygirl
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just finished Little Women for the first time. I had bought it a long time ago, but just had the time to read it. I am a fan of the old classics. I am glad that this is the book for the month

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I'll be interested to see whether any men join this discussion.  I'm probably not going to be very active, if at all, because every time I start reading the book (it was discussed on the old BNU and I tried reading it for that, as well as reading it here) I find the beginning pages so cloyingly sicky-sweet that I just can't read on.  So I'm afraid that if I got active in the discussion I would be a wet blanket who would make it less fun for others.

But so far it looks like an all-female group.  Will that change, and will there be any active male posters?

0 Kudos

I'm a little hesitant to introduce myself, because I haven't yet begun to reread this novel, and I doubt I will be able to get very far into it.  Right now I'm a little more than half-way through Rebecca for another group, and when I pulled Little Women out, I saw that it is actually rather long!

But I certainly am familiar with the story, although I haven't read it recently.  I've been familiar with Alcott since I was a child and read my mother's old copies of Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom (has anyone else read these?).  Also while I was a child, I read all of her children's books from the library.  More recently, I have acquired and read quite a few of her 'pot-boilers' and 'rediscovered' books.

I live in Massachusetts, and have been to Orchard House several times.  Actually, what I found most fascinating there were May's drawings on the walls of her room.  Although I also found Louisa's pillow amusing, that she used to indicate whether or not anyone should attempt talking to her!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been familiar with Alcott since I was a child and read my mother's old copies of Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom (has anyone else read these?). 

I've read both years and years ago; in fact it was just recently that I re-read Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom is waiting to be re-read.   Eight Cousins is probably my favorite of her novels.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I've just pulled out my copy of Little Women.  It's been years and years since my last read, and I'm looking forward to reading it again and discussing it with everyone.  
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
acacostagdea
0 Kudos

I 1st read LW when I was in 2nd grade & hated it, then in 6th & thought it was ok, & recently in 11th & loved it, so LW & I have really come full circle.
~A.C.

A good book is like a box of chocolates; you never want it to end.
Contributor
Skye314
0 Kudos

I just started reading "Little Women" on the recomendation of someone else.

I am currently on Chapter 7.  This is my first novel by Ms. Alcott and I am enjoying it immensely.

New User
megandrewsmom
0 Kudos

I've never been part of an online book club before but, couldn't resist when I saw the this one was for Little Women.  I always loved this book especially since I grew up in a family of 4 girls and I would have been Jo in birth order, my favorite.  My daughter's name is Meg and she loves the book too!!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Bobbi!  Online book clubs are great because one can participate on one's own schedule.  We're glad to have you!

~ConnieK

BobbiGalloway wrote:
Hello!  This is my first time participating in an online book club.  I have never read Little Women (or any other books by Louisa May Alcott) but bought it several years ago.  When I saw the online book club in an email from B&N I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to read it and to get more insight from others.  I look forward to reading this book and discussing it with everyone else who joins in!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, thefamilymanag!

Hope you enjoy the book club!

~ConnieK

thefamilymanager wrote:

Hi!  I have participated in the New Look Book Clubs from B & N.  Looking forward to participating in this discussion as this has always been one of my favorite books and I'm looking forward to re-reading this. 

I am married and have 2 teenage boys.  Not a ton of time to read but that's my favorite past-time.  Can't wait to meet all of you.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Danielle!

It's always fun to see what previous readers, as well as new readers, see in the books in the club.  I hope you enjoy the discussion.  Just jump right in!

~ConnieK

drclawgirl wrote:

Hi!  My name is Danielle.  I have read this book and of course seen the many versions of movies that have come out.  I have participated in one other B&N Online Book Club but I had some family issues going on so I really didn't get to participate as I would like to have done so I am really looking forward to this one.  I'm sure those of us that know the story will learn just as mush as those that have not.  I look forward to hearing what others love about this story.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Beth!  So glad to have you here to share your experience with Orchard House and the Alcotts.  I hope you'll feel free to do that--we'll all be interested!

~ConnieK

drbethnolan wrote:

Hello! I was thrilled to see this book club listed as I am a huge Alcott fan. I've read LW several times, and I've read just about everything Louisa ever wrote. I've worked at Orchard House, the house museum in Concord where the family lived, and have studied the Alcott family. What can I say? I just love the Alcott family and am continually impressed with the contributions that they made to American literature and life.

I look forward to sharing posts with folks. I've done a few other bookclubs, but rarely have more than one thing to say. Perhaps this time I will!! :smileyhappy:- Beth Nolan Conners

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Pauline!

I agree about reading the opinions of other readers about a book we've read.  I always learn something new, or find new topics to think about, from reading members' observations and comments.  So interesting!

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

Austengirl7 wrote:
Hi,  I've only joined one other group previous to this.  My work schedule dosen't really aloow for it but I am an avid reader (makes my commute go faster).  I think the only book I haven't read by her is Shirley.  I've read this book probably 10 times and it will be interesting to see other people's opinions.  -Pauline

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]