Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Little Women: Introduce Yourself

Oh, welcome, our own Meg!  What a fitting story you have to be part of this group.  So glad to have you, and I hope you'll feel free to contribute early and often!

~ConnieK

gingellbelle wrote:
Hi!  This is my first time participating in an oline book club.  When I was born, my mother's favorite book was Little Women.  She of course named me Meg.  I have loved Little Women since the first time I read it. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, riotnavygirl!  It will be exciting to learn your thoughts on the book as a first-time reader.  I love the blend of first-timers and re-readers that these clubs bring.  Some good conversations are possible if people jump right in!

~ConnieK

riotnavygirl wrote:

Hello,

I just finished Little Women for the first time. I had bought it a long time ago, but just had the time to read it. I am a fan of the old classics. I am glad that this is the book for the month

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Everyman!  Men are certainly welcome in the club. 

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:

I'll be interested to see whether any men join this discussion.  I'm probably not going to be very active, if at all, because every time I start reading the book (it was discussed on the old BNU and I tried reading it for that, as well as reading it here) I find the beginning pages so cloyingly sicky-sweet that I just can't read on.  So I'm afraid that if I got active in the discussion I would be a wet blanket who would make it less fun for others.

But so far it looks like an all-female group.  Will that change, and will there be any active male posters?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, dulcinea3!  Feel free to participate at any level where you feel comfortable.  You know that pillow you talked about from Orchard House?  When I was there, I bought a similar one in the gift shop and I used to angle it on the couch according to my mood for awhile.  The pillow's still on the couch, though, even though no one uses it as a "mood indicator" anymore.  :smileywink:

~ConnieK

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm a little hesitant to introduce myself, because I haven't yet begun to reread this novel, and I doubt I will be able to get very far into it.  Right now I'm a little more than half-way through Rebecca for another group, and when I pulled Little Women out, I saw that it is actually rather long!

But I certainly am familiar with the story, although I haven't read it recently.  I've been familiar with Alcott since I was a child and read my mother's old copies of Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom (has anyone else read these?).  Also while I was a child, I read all of her children's books from the library.  More recently, I have acquired and read quite a few of her 'pot-boilers' and 'rediscovered' books.

I live in Massachusetts, and have been to Orchard House several times.  Actually, what I found most fascinating there were May's drawings on the walls of her room.  Although I also found Louisa's pillow amusing, that she used to indicate whether or not anyone should attempt talking to her!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, LizzieAnn!

It's great that you're going to take another look at this novel with us.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

LizzieAnn wrote:
I've just pulled out my copy of Little Women.  It's been years and years since my last read, and I'm looking forward to reading it again and discussing it with everyone.  

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, A.C.!  I think classics do that--they provide levels of story that we see or don't see through what we bring to the story at various stages in our lives.  So interesting.

~ConnieK

acacostagdea wrote:
I 1st read LW when I was in 2nd grade & hated it, then in 6th & thought it was ok, & recently in 11th & loved it, so LW & I have really come full circle.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Skye!

I'm so glad you're enjoying the novel.  We use chapter threads to avoid spoilers for those who may want to discuss the novel as they read, without knowing about the future plot.

~ConnieK

Skye314 wrote:

I just started reading "Little Women" on the recomendation of someone else.

I am currently on Chapter 7.  This is my first novel by Ms. Alcott and I am enjoying it immensely.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, megandrewsmom!  As you can see, we have a Meg in the club who was named from the book.  Did you choose Meg for the same reason?  Not having any sisters myself, I'd love to hear about any of your experiences in a family of 4 girls and how they relate to the family in Little Women.

~ConnieK

megandrewsmom wrote:
I've never been part of an online book club before but, couldn't resist when I saw the this one was for Little Women.  I always loved this book especially since I grew up in a family of 4 girls and I would have been Jo in birth order, my favorite.  My daughter's name is Meg and she loves the book too!!!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
demarcodarcy
0 Kudos

HI. I read "Little Women" repeatedly, both as a child and as an adult.  I think it's a wonderful book.  First of all, I enjoy reading about what women's lives were like, 100 years ago and over.  I love all of the characters, and think it's great that she provides a character for each reader to identify with.  My favorites were Meg and Jo.  Jo, for her humanity, her independence, her values - as shown by her choice of husband - and her writing; Meg, for her youth, her beauty, and her wish to be a wife and mother.  I have read "Little Women" many, many times.

Also, regarding the question, what else have you read by Louisa May Alcott - I have also read, "An Old-Fashioned Girl," and loved it completely.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, demarcodarcy!

It will be great to have those who've read the book many times on the boards this month.  First readers and re-readers often have super interaction with one another.

~ConnieK

demarcodarcy wrote:

HI. I read "Little Women" repeatedly, both as a child and as an adult.  I think it's a wonderful book.  First of all, I enjoy reading about what women's lives were like, 100 years ago and over.  I love all of the characters, and think it's great that she provides a character for each reader to identify with.  My favorites were Meg and Jo.  Jo, for her humanity, her independence, her values - as shown by her choice of husband - and her writing; Meg, for her youth, her beauty, and her wish to be a wife and mother.  I have read "Little Women" many, many times.

Also, regarding the question, what else have you read by Louisa May Alcott - I have also read, "An Old-Fashioned Girl," and loved it completely.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to reading this book again. I first read it in grade four, but a few years ago I took it off the shelf and read the series (little men, etc) right through. I look forward to the conversations in this group.

Shelby

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been familiar with Alcott since I was a child and read my mother's old copies of Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom (has anyone else read these?). 

I've read both years and years ago; in fact it was just recently that I re-read Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom is waiting to be re-read.   Eight Cousins is probably my favorite of her novels.

I have always had a particular fondness for Eight Cousins, too.  Most likely partly because it was her first novel that I read, but there are such a variety of characters, too, each with their own personality.  I'm glad to hear that someone else loves them, too!  I don't think that they are very well-known.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Welcome, dulcinea3!  Feel free to participate at any level where you feel comfortable.  You know that pillow you talked about from Orchard House?  When I was there, I bought a similar one in the gift shop and I used to angle it on the couch according to my mood for awhile.  The pillow's still on the couch, though, even though no one uses it as a "mood indicator" anymore.  :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Connie - I love that you have a pillow like that!  If I go back to Orchard House, I will have to look for one in the gift shop.  Although, I doubt that my two cats would pay much attention to its angle!:smileyvery-happy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
PatienceP
0 Kudos

I am Patience.  Little Women is my first Louisa May Alcott novel; I've started it before, but I haven't actually finished it yet.  I am drawn to it because it is a classic work from a different time.

Sadness isn't sadness
It's happiness
In a black jacket

--Paul McCartney
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Shelby!  We're glad to have you.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

sgregg88 wrote:

I am looking forward to reading this book again. I first read it in grade four, but a few years ago I took it off the shelf and read the series (little men, etc) right through. I look forward to the conversations in this group.

Shelby

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ha--Yes; there is a little appliqued rose thingie with some dangling ribbon that your cats would probably have great fun with!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

dulcinea3 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieK

Connie - I love that you have a pillow like that!  If I go back to Orchard House, I will have to look for one in the gift shop.  Although, I doubt that my two cats would pay much attention to its angle!:smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, PatienceP!  I hope you are able to get further in LW this go-round.  Even if you can just get through Book 1 that would be a good goal to set, I think.

~ConnieK

PatienceP wrote:

I am Patience.  Little Women is my first Louisa May Alcott novel; I've started it before, but I haven't actually finished it yet.  I am drawn to it because it is a classic work from a different time.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hello everyone;

I  have read this book alot of times, to my granddaughers and also myself. I love it! I will be away until the middle of next week but I will join in then. Happy reading to us all.

Contributor
demarcodarcy
0 Kudos

Hi.  I used to live in Massachusetts, myself.  I lived in Newton Corner, Sudbury, and Brighton.  I have been to Orchard House, and love the Concord area.  I have some souvenirs from the museum there, and can't wait to return to Boston for a vacation.

I am glad that you are enjoying Little Women.  I just love that book, along with "An Old-Fashioned Girl."

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, kiakar!

We'll be happy to have you join us when you return!

~ConnieK

kiakar wrote:

Hello everyone;

I  have read this book alot of times, to my granddaughers and also myself. I love it! I will be away until the middle of next week but I will join in then. Happy reading to us all.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]