Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SereneChaos
0 Kudos

Looking for a version of Faust

I want to read Faust (either Goethe's or Marlowe's), but I can never make it through more than a chapter. So I was wondering if anyone knew of an ebook version that's like No Fear Shakespeare where there's a modern translation along with the original. Thanks for the help! =)
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for a version of Faust

SereneChaos wrote:
I want to read Faust (either Goethe's or Marlowe's), but I can never make it through more than a chapter. So I was wondering if anyone knew of an ebook version that's like No Fear Shakespeare where there's a modern translation along with the original. Thanks for the help! =)

I can't help you off hand with the book you want (searching a book ordering site for all Faust titles might turn up something -- that's how I'd probably start.  Or go looking for the Cliff Notes or Book Rags or ... one of the other sets of study notes online.), but you might like to know that the Metropolitan Opera performance of Faust is being simulcast on December 10 to selected theatres around the world.  Now, I have heard this is a fairly modernized production, but you might want to check it out.  The productions are great and not terribly expensive (~$20 for seniors, a bit more for adults, don't know for students).

See here http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx and search for local theatres.  A second (encore) showing is also offered.  

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Here are some guides available on NOOK for Marlowe's Doctor Faustus:

Doctor Faustus (SparkNotes Literature Guide)  

Doctor Faustus (KnowledgeNotes Student Guides)  

And for the Goethe:

Goethe's Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe l Summary & Study Guide  

Faust  

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a "translation" like No Fear where the original is on the left and the vernacular is on the right.

SereneChaos wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
SereneChaos
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help! =)