New User
susannahk

My personal challenge of reading all B&N Adult Classics Resumes

Hi everyone - I am new to the online book club and first want to say, Hi!   Am finally done with graduate school and can actually start pleasure reading again.  I created a personal challenge in 2009 to read (re-read in some cases) all the B&N Classics (Adult).  Anyone else been that crazy?

Just finished Adv. of Sherlock Holmes I and now working on the Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).. Loving it so far - pleasantly flowing read.

Pleased to meet each of you.

Susannahk

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: My personal challenge of reading all B&N Adult Classics Resumes

Quite a goal. Just how many books is that?
New User
susannahk
0 Kudos

New User
TheCalamity
0 Kudos

I'm interested in doing the same. My first goal is to continue collecting them. I lean towards the Sci-Fi, so I'd like to tackle HG Wells and Lovecraft first. I've collected nearly 25 of the leatherbounds. Very excited about this collection. Good luck.
MacMcK1957

The advantage of doing the SF classics is that Lovecraft and Wells tended to write fairly compact novels. The Time Machine is not much more than a novella by modern standards. On the other hand, the B&N Classics include things like Don Quixote and Les Miserables, as well as the amazingly long-winded Russian classics like War & Peace, Crime & Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. Any one of those books is a pretty major project.
New User
JackTuck
0 Kudos

I too have made this goal. I made it the middle of this year and so far is progessing very well. As for if that is a crazy idea, I believe that we are all a little crazy from time to time and the best way to deal with the internal craziness is to embrasse it. thatis what I have done, so I wish you the best of luck on your journey...I have throughly enjoyed my so far.

MacMcK1957

I'd be interested to know which ones you found really worth reading, and which ones not so much. Lately I've been rereading all the Sherlock Holmes as well as the Robert Louis Stevenson works, and have really enjoyed them. On the other hand, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea was a huge disappointment. It drags on for pages at a time while Verne describes the genus and species of every fish plant and animal they encounter.
New User
TheCalamity
0 Kudos

I decided to lose myself in HP Lovecraft's brilliance. "At the Mountains of Madness" was a good read. I was interested in it because Guillermo del Toro (one of my favorite directors) has been trying to gain funding to make a film based on it for the better part of a decade. He settled for Pacific Rim because it was a paycheck, but he really loves HP Lovecraft's short stories and has been heavily influenced by them. The Lovecraft collection is exceptional.