Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oliver Twist: The Masterpiece Classic Film

[ Edited ]
This thread is for discussion of the Masterpiece Classic film adaptation of Oliver Twist.
Message Edited by ConnieK on 02-16-2009 02:43 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: *Special Guest: Prof. John O. Jordan, Dickens Scholar (2/16-2/27/09)

Connie -- have you been able to find out yet whether Oliver Twist and The Old Curiosity Shop will be available on-line after they are shown on Sunday nights?
0 Kudos

Oliver Twist: The Masterpiece Classics Film

Everyman wrote:
Connie -- have you been able to find out yet whether Oliver Twist and The Old Curiosity Shop will be available on-line after they are shown on Sunday nights?

I'm thinking if it's an encore presentation, then probaby not, Everyman.  Encore presentations have aired before and have most likely gone to DVD by now, so that makes it less likely they'd be available for free online.

I did tell you I'd ask, though, and so I shall.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Oliver Twist: The Masterpiece Classics Film

I think that the only Dickens presentation that is an encore is David Copperfield.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
Laurel

The Oliver Twist was shown in England in 2007 and is available on DVD there. The DVD will not be available here till March.

dulcinea3 wrote:
I think that the only Dickens presentation that is an encore is David Copperfield.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurel wrote:
The Oliver Twist was shown in England in 2007 and is available on DVD there. The DVD will not be available here till March.

dulcinea3 wrote:

I don't think that it has ever been seen on Masterpiece before, though, which is what appears to determine whether PBS is making it available online.  I think that all of these productions have been seen in England prior to our ever seeing them over here.

On Connie's thread "PBS Masterpiece Classics Schedule - 2009", the encores are indicated, if anyone is interested.  Only Sense & Sensibility, David Copperfield, and Persuasion appear to be repeats.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 02-09-2009 02:55 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I wonder if Connie will be able to pull over some readers from her Harry Potter group once they find out that David Copperfield is played by Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) in the first half of the presentation (Zoe Wannamaker - Madame Hooch - appears also as Miss Murdstone). :smileyvery-happy:

Another actor from the HP movies will appear in Oliver Twist - Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail) makes a delightful Fagin, so I hear.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

I wonder if Connie will be able to pull over some readers from her Harry Potter group once they find out that David Copperfield is played by Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) in the first half of the presentation (Zoe Wannamaker - Madame Hooch - appears also as Miss Murdstone). :smileyvery-happy:

Another actor from the HP movies will appear in Oliver Twist - Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail) makes a delightful Fagin, so I hear.

Ha.  I've actually been talking about Daniel Radcliffe over there just recently because I went to see him in Equus on Broadway a few days ago.  I did think I should mention the DC airing to the Potter gang, who might enjoy it.  I haven't seen him in that yet--I think it was his first film role.  In the previews on PBS, he looks like such a little guy back then!  And yes; the previews again gave me a shock to see "Wormtail"--the actor not looking all that different from how he does in that role, btw--in DC as well.  Ha.  Well, the Potter films are a regular treasure trove of British actors from many generations, as it is.  Shouldn't be surprising to see them.

Should be great stuff! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Dan is so little in DC - I think he was eight when it was filmed - and there's a scene where he's standing next to his trunk, in his little jacket, cap, and short pants, and he looks so forlorn you just want to reach through the screen and give him a hug and a cookie.  (I also forgot that Dame Maggie Smith also appears in this production as Miss Betsey Trotwood - and is very wonderful, too!)

ConnieK wrote:

Ha.  I've actually been talking about Daniel Radcliffe over there just recently because I went to see him in Equus on Broadway a few days ago.  I did think I should mention the DC airing to the Potter gang, who might enjoy it.  I haven't seen him in that yet--I think it was his first film role.  In the previews on PBS, he looks like such a little guy back then!  And yes; the previews again gave me a shock to see "Wormtail"--the actor not looking all that different from how he does in that role, btw--in DC as well.  Ha.  Well, the Potter films are a regular treasure trove of British actors from many generations, as it is.  Shouldn't be surprising to see them.

Should be great stuff! 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

Dan is so little in DC - I think he was eight when it was filmed - and there's a scene where he's standing next to his trunk, in his little jacket, cap, and short pants, and he looks so forlorn you just want to reach through the screen and give him a hug and a cookie.  (I also forgot that Dame Maggie Smith also appears in this production as Miss Betsey Trotwood - and is very wonderful, too!)

Aww.  Can't wait to see him, and Maggie Smith, too.  But first we have Oliver to get through!  :smileywink: 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

This was in my latest PBS newsletter:

Can't tune in? Oliver Twist will be available for online viewing
Monday, Feb. 16-Monday, March 2, at
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Great. Thanks!

dulcinea3 wrote:

Everyman wrote:

0 Kudos

Online Viewing of Oliver Twist

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks so much for this, dulci.  This follows my hypothesis, since the schedule seems to indicate that this is a new adaptation for this season as opposed to a repeat/encore showing. 

Still no 'official' answer for the question about online viewing availability throughout the season, though I have asked.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 02-11-2009 07:45 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Online Viewing of Oliver Twist

Ok.  This time, I, for one, wish I knew ahead of time where the breaking point between the parts of the film adaptation are in the novel.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
MaryE935

The film seems to be missing some of the humor and satire that Dickens uses to lift the story above its tragedy.

Tom Hardy as Bill is intriguing.  After seeing him as Heathcliff and now here in Oliver Twist, I looked up some info on him- he is a versatile actor, with an interesting personal life story of overcoming addiction and continuing struggles.  

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Oliver Twist: The Masterpiece Classic Film

[ Edited ]

I think the performances by the actors in this production so far are terrific!  They are really drawing me in to their characters.  I'm especially enjoying young William Miller as Oliver; Timothy Spall as Fagin; Tom Hardy as Bill Sikes (even though, yes, I am also constantly reminded of Heathcliff after just seeing him in WH); and Sophie Okonedo as Nancy.

The music has caught my attention, too--a fresh take under the period scenes.

One scene that caught my eye visually was the one at Fagin's den where all those colorful pocket scarves hang in the middle of the room in the light and the boys are all gathered around. 

I haven't yet finished the novel this go-round, so I'm working to catch up.  

What say you?

Message Edited by ConnieK on 02-16-2009 04:27 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Who chose the music for this production? A banjo? The music did not fit this film at all and detracted from my overall enjoyment of it. It sounded more like something that would accompany a production of "Tom Sawyer" than "Oliver Twist".

Now having said that, I am happy with the choice of most of the actors so far. The boy playing Oliver Twist looks just as I imagined he would and did a good job. And Bumble is perfectly portrayed.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

Who chose the music for this production? A banjo? The music did not fit this film at all and detracted from my overall enjoyment of it. It sounded more like something that would accompany a production of "Tom Sawyer" than "Oliver Twist".

I know what you mean, John, but for some reason I liked it.  Maybe it was because it was unexpected and lightened the mood.  I'll keep thinking about it, though. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I agree with you, Mary. Dickens's warm and kindly humor is not there. I think Bill was the best-done character. Oliver was not the Oliver Twist I know and love from Dickens. He has undergone a troubling character change.

MaryE935 wrote:

The film seems to be missing some of the humor and satire that Dickens uses to lift the story above its tragedy.

Tom Hardy as Bill is intriguing.  After seeing him as Heathcliff and now here in Oliver Twist, I looked up some info on him- he is a versatile actor, with an interesting personal life story of overcoming addiction and continuing struggles.  

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Isn't that strange? I can't even remember any music being in this production. My ears are blind.

JohnP51 wrote: