Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
PhoebesMom
0 Kudos

Re: Oliver the movie.

Most of what I would say about this production of Oliver has already been said.  However, I wanted to add that I also found it much worse than the first half, and you have to go a long way to be worse than that. 

I hope that the rest of the movies will be much closer to the books.  I'm almost finished rereading David Copperfield and I am now looking forward to watching that.

I am sorry to know that we won't be watching the earlier version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root & Ciarran Hinds.  I love that version.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Oliver the movie.

Everyman wrote:
The movie gave Rose a somewhat more interesting role than I recall her having in the book. She is so good in the book that she is almost boring.  Just as Satan is more interesting than God in Paradise Lost, so Nancy seems more compelling and interesting as a woman than Rose. 

To each his own!

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: Oliver Twist: The Masterpiece Classic Film

Let's see if this link works.  This "picture of the week" (number 4) reminds of a scene in one of the movie versions of Oliver Twist.  (I'm not sure it was the Masterpiece one -- my mind may have already partly merged the two versions I watched recently.)

If the picture is no longer available, this is the note that accompanied a gnarled hand resting on coiled strands of copper:  "An Indonesian worker in Jakarta’s business district packs coils of copper for resale, after extracting them from power cables by melting the rubber insulation. An ironworks factory pays 38,000 rupiahs (£2.25) per kilogram of copper."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I think it was probably the Masterpiece production, Pepper.  It did look like the stuff that the boys were picking at in the workhouse.

Some of those other photos were a bit bizarre!  Don't giraffes have teeth?  It didn't look like it.  And I'm not sure I go for the 'armless torso in a birdcage' look from the fashion show.  The woman in the last photo looked like Nancy Kerrigan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Peppermill
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I think it was probably the Masterpiece production, Pepper.  It did look like the stuff that the boys were picking at in the workhouse.

Thanks, Denice.

Some of those other photos were a bit bizarre!  Don't giraffes have teeth? It didn't look like it.

I had to look again.  It reminded me of a common giraffe picture that floats through email messages from time to time, but as I recall, that one clearly shows teeth.  This one certainly doesn't.  Will just have to stay observant, I guess, 'cause I'm not in a research mode, at least on that topic.

And I'm not sure I go for the 'armless torso in a birdcage' look from the fashion show. 

Agreed.

The woman in the last photo looked like Nancy Kerrigan.

I had missed that photo.  Don't know that Nancy would be flattered by the comparison.

I did like the fireworks explosion, though.  I wondered what the Orthodox Christian holiday is.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy