Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PBS Masterpiece Classic Schedule - 2009

[ Edited ]

Since some of you may want to plan your reading for our concurrent discussion of the PBS Masterpiece Classic series in early 2009, I thought it might be best to post the schedule now and in a convenient place on the board.  You can also find this information along with more details about the series, here

Here is the schedule typed out for our use, though, so that you don't have to follow the link to the PBS site, click on another link there, open the schedule in Adobe, etc. to get to it.  I've also included links to the B&N editions of these classic novels, though you certainly don't need to use those editions to take part in our discussion.  They are the editions I will use in referring to any page numbers, etc. throughout the season.  Little Dorrit and Old Curiosity Shop are not available in B&N Classics paperback editions, so I've included links to other paperback choices for those.

I hope you'll join us for one or more of these discussions!

Jan. 4  Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy (film, Part 1 = 120 minutes)

Jan. 11 Tess, Hardy (film, Part 2 = 120 minutes)

Jan. 18:  Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte (film, Part 1 = 60 minutes)

Jan. 25:  WH, Bronte (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Feb. 1:  Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Feb. 8:  S&S, Austen (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Feb. 15:  Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes)

Feb. 22:  OT, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Mar. 15:  David Copperfield, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Mar. 22:  DC, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 120 minutes; an encore presentation)

Mar. 29:  Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 120 minutes)

Apr. 5:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 12:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 3 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 19:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 4 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 26:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 5 = 90 minutes)

May 3:  The Old Curiosity Shop, Charles Dickens (film, 90 minutes)

May 10:  Persuasion, Jane Austen (film:  90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Message Edited by ConnieK on 04-13-2009 12:47 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classics Schedule - 2009

Wow.  Masterpiece has a great line-up again.

ConnieK wrote:

Since some of you may want to plan your reading for our concurrent discussion of the PBS Masterpiece Classics series in early 2009, I thought it might be best to post the schedule now and in a convenient place on the board.  You can also find this information along with more details about the series, here

Here is the schedule typed out for our use, though, so that you don't have to follow the link to the PBS site, click on another link there, open the schedule in Adobe, etc. to get to it.  I've also included links to the B&N editions of these classic novels, though you certainly don't need to use those editions to take part in our discussion.  They are the editions I will use in referring to any page numbers, etc. throughout the season.  Little Dorrit and Old Curiosity Shop are not available in B&N Classics paperback editions, so I've included links to other paperback choices for those.

I hope you'll join us for one or more of these discussions!

Jan. 4  Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy (film, Part 1 = 120 minutes)

Jan. 11 Tess, Hardy (film, Part 2 = 120 minutes)

Jan. 18:  Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte (film, Part 1 = 60 minutes)

Jan. 25:  WH, Bronte (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Feb. 1:  Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Feb. 8:  S&S, Austen (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Feb. 15:  Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes)

Feb. 22:  OT, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Mar. 15:  David Copperfield, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Mar. 22:  DC, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 120 minutes; an encore presentation)

Mar. 29:  Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens (film, Part 1 = 120 minutes)

Apr. 5:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 2 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 12:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 3 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 19:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 4 = 90 minutes)

Apr. 26:  LD, Dickens (film, Part 5 = 90 minutes)

May 3:  The Old Curiosity Shop, Charles Dickens (film, 90 minutes)

May 10:  Persuasion, Jane Austen (film:  90 minutes; an encore presentation)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

Wow.  Masterpiece has a great line-up again.

An ambitious schedule for our members to keep up with, but we'll have an alternative track for most of the months for those who'd rather dip in and out of the Masterpiece titles.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
subjective
0 Kudos

Dear Moderator. I had a look at the schedule for the Classics for 2009 January. Are you not reviewing the books. Seems like the schedule is for the movies.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

subjective wrote:
Dear Moderator. I had a look at the schedule for the Classics for 2009 January. Are you not reviewing the books. Seems like the schedule is for the movies.

Hi, subjective--

Our book schedule, just for this series, will follow the same schedule as the PBS airing of its movie adaptations.  Usually we only do one book/month, so this is a special case.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Bookworm36
0 Kudos

ConnieK,

Great selection of books. I am looking forward to participating in the discussions.

Happy New Year!

Bookworm36

Bookworm36

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -- Benjamin Franklin
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Bookworm36 wrote:

ConnieK,

Great selection of books. I am looking forward to participating in the discussions.

Happy New Year!

Bookworm36

Terrific, Bookworm36!  We look forward to having you with us!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Wow, sounds great!  I've been looking for motivation to read Tess, so this is perfect. 

Everyman, I agree about the artwork chosen for the cover of the B&N Classics edition... it was kind of confusing. 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
New User
BookLvr-EngTchr
0 Kudos

As a new memebr I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Does this schedule mean that by Jan. 18 we should be finishing Wuthering Heights? Or would this be the time to begin?
Frequent Contributor
lilacbouquet
0 Kudos

I don't know about anybody else, but that's definitely when I'll be starting it! I can read fast... but not that fast. :smileyvery-happy:
- Emily
"The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it." - Elizabeth Drew
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BookLvr-EngTchr wrote:
As a new memebr I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Does this schedule mean that by Jan. 18 we should be finishing Wuthering Heights? Or would this be the time to begin?

If you'd like to have read it all by the time you view the PBS adaptation, then you'd have to have it read by then.  If you want to read along, then you could start it then.  It's totally up to you!  Our threads will assume people have read it, though, if that helps!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I see that the February discussion schedule has been posted, and that we will be having special guests for Sense and Sensibility and Oliver Twist!

The Classics book club partners with Masterpiece Classic on PBS to read Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.
Dr. Joan Klingel Ray, a Professor of English and President’s Teaching Scholar at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and a former President of the Jane Austen Society of North America, will join the discussion for Sense & Sensibility from February 2 to 13. And John O. Jordan, the Director of The Dickens Project and Professor of Literature at University of CA, Santa Cruz, will take questions about Oliver Twist from February 16 to 27.

Cool!

I think they're getting the hang of the timing a bit better, too, as that takes each of them to the Friday following the conclusion on PBS, rather than ending the next day, like with Tess (although David was gracious enough to stick around for a few more days).

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 01-14-2009 10:54 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I see that the February discussion schedule has been posted, and that we will be having special guests for Sense and Sensibility and Oliver Twist!

Indeed, we will!  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
Bad_Witch
0 Kudos

Hello,

This is the first time that I have taken part in an online book club.  It sounds like fun!  Read a book, watch a PBS movie and discuss the book.  I cannot wait. 

As well I do like the line up of reading matieral!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Bad_Witch wrote:

Hello,

This is the first time that I have taken part in an online book club.  It sounds like fun!  Read a book, watch a PBS movie and discuss the book.  I cannot wait. 

As well I do like the line up of reading matieral!

Welcome, Bad_Witch!  It IS fun, and what's more, we often have guests from the films or scholars of the books with us, too!  Jump right in!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
ClassicalArtist
0 Kudos

Yeah, I hope this is fun.  I agree about the line-up...  :smileyhappy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ClassicalArtist wrote:
Yeah, I hope this is fun.  I agree about the line-up...  :smileyhappy:

Welcome, ClassicalArtist!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Connie

First of all, congratulations on both YOUR books and the list of PBS masterpiece classics for 2009.

My question is a bit unusual , I'd say, but ... According to your experience as a moderator, can we read the books only, I mean and NOT watch the fantastic PBS series, and STILL have a good participation in the discussion ? I'm asking this cuz I'm writing to you from São Paulo, Brazil, and we do NOT have the PBS series on TV here, UNFORTUNATELY...

At any rate, what you see as an opportunity ( yes, I have been to your website...) , I also see as a lot of your time dedicated to these discussions, so congratulations again !

Message Edited by Pumpernickel2008 on 01-28-2009 10:56 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I'm sure Connie will say yes -- for all the books so far we have had separate discussion threads for the films and for the books themselves. 

But you can still watch the films over the Internet, if you have a reasonably fast connection.   Just go to this site , click on the current show, and on the left click on Watch Online.  So far they've given access to each week's episode for the week after that episode was shown -- for example, you can still watch the second segment of Wuthering Heights, but the earlier ones are no longer available.  So next Monday, you can go to this site and presumably start watching, at your convenience, the first episode of Sense and Sensibility.  They are usually broken up into scenes of about ten minutes, so you can watch any amount you want to any day.  

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Hi, Connie

First of all, congratulations on both YOUR books and the list of PBS masterpiece classics for 2009.

My question is a bit unusual , I'd say, but ... According to your experience as a moderator, can we read the books only, I mean and NOT watch the fantastic PBS series, and STILL have a good participation in the discussion ? I'm asking this cuz I'm writing to you from São Paulo, Brazil, and we do NOT have the PBS series on TV here, UNFORTUNATELY...

At any rate, what you see as an opportunity ( yes, I have been to your website...) , I also see as a lot of your time dedicated to these discussions, so congratulations again !

Message Edited by Pumpernickel2008 on 01-28-2009 10:56 PM

0 Kudos

Thank you VERY much for your answer AND good will, Everyman, but as I click on the site you so gently refer me to, I receive the following message :

Sorry, we only have rights to stream Wuthering Heights to viewers in the US.

I think that , in the Century 21st, when the world is already & entirely globalised, and the whole idea is to INCLUDE, rather than EXCLUDE ,  this is utterly RIDICULOUS... Most of all if you think that these have become world classics . Of course it is a subtle way of restricting information of some sort. PBS is , as we say here in Brazil, going against the flow of history... Grade F- to them...