Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - fully illustrated versions, & open for discussions

Hello, everyone. I wasn't sure about whether this forum is ONLY for people who are reading a certain classic together, or whether it is open to general discussion of classics. Hopefully the latter.

In any case, I would like to announce some books that classics-lovers might be interested in - the first three books (so far) of L. Frank Baum's Oz series. We all know that there are many versions of public domain books available out there for free, on Barnes & Noble's website, and also other websites. Often, you can find a version where the text is well-formatted, but these free versions rarely include the original images. If they do include images, they are often small and/or of poor quality, and many images are often missing. For some classics, the lack of the illustrations isn't a huge problem, but for L. Frank Baum's Oz books, the illustrations are a critical and beautiful part of the story.

Thus, we (at Eltanin Publishing) have taken on the challenge of creating the best-formatted ebook versions of the Wizard of Oz series. ALL the original illustrations are included (in color, if they were in the original), and the illustrations have been painstakingly formatted to look great on both color and e-ink ereaders. We have completed the first three books in the series so far:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Illustrated] 

The Marvelous Land of Oz [Illustrated] 

Ozma of Oz [illustrated]    

We'd love feedback on them, and we also love discussing all things Oz! Do you prefer Denslow's illustrations in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, or Neill's illustrations in the rest of the series? Who is your favorite character? Favorite illustration? Funniest scene? (I have one in mind from The Marvelous Land of Oz, with the scarecrow and woodman).

I would love to lead a book club discussion of one or more of the Oz books, but if people feel it would a conflict of interest (since we sell a version of the book), I understand.

Cathy Ryan

(Editor-in-Chief, Eltanin Publishing)

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - fully illustrated versions, & open for discussions

This is the book club forum, you want the Nook Book Discussion forum.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - fully illustrated versions, & open for discussions

Welcome to Classics!  You are free to start a discussion of any classic that you want, but it might be difficult to get a conversation going unless others are currently reading the book.  I don't know if you are interested, but we have discussed The Wonderful Wizard of Oz on this board, and you can scroll back through the pages and find the threads.  You are always free to respond and add to any thread, even from a past discussion.

I don't have an e-reader myself, but I applaud you for bringing the original illustrations to that format.  I haven't read the other Oz books since I was in grade school, so I don't remember them very well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia