I've read some new classics so I decided to edit my earlier post

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dracula - Bram Stoker

The Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne

Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carrol

Complete Stories of Edgar Allen Poe

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

Everything by Ernest Hemingway (The Sun Also Rises is my favorite)

And right now I'm reading Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery for the Classics club but so far I'm liking it (hopefully i can push myself through it! It is a beast to carry around with me!)

Thanks, Taylor-Marie.  I know what you mean.  VF is long!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favorite classics?

I'm SUCH a girl - I love "Anne of Green Gables" (the whole series) and "The Little Princess" especially, but I also love "Rebecca" and all of Austen's novels. And there's a reason Shakespeare has his own discussion group - WOW.  But I also loved "Siddhartha."

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

Just getting into V. Nabokov's 'Pale Fire', I'd consider that a classic. What do others think, is 1962 too new? I don't think age matters.

All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Qdaba11 wrote:

Just getting into V. Nabokov's 'Pale Fire', I'd consider that a classic. What do others think, is 1962 too new? I don't think age matters.

Thanks for your post, Qdaba11.  We've had various discussions on the board about what constitutes a "classic."  I wonder what other Nabokov fans might think about your choice and your question about a novel from 1962.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Qdaba11 wrote:

Thanks for your post, Qdaba11.  We've had various discussions on the board about what constitutes a "classic."  I wonder what other Nabokov fans might think about your choice and your question about a novel from 1962.

I'm no purist about categorization on a subject like "classic books".   Although I haven't read Nabokov's Pale Fire, many here do know that I respect some of his work, especially his commentaries on literature, which will probably never be designated as "classics."  From what I have read about Pale Fire, it would seem to at least qualify as a "classic in waiting" -- i.e., it has survived continuing to be read with respect for over forty years and if it keeps that up for another X years, it will probably come to clearly considered a classic and to show up on lists of books "educated persons should read over their lifetime."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
kathyt
0 Kudos

I personally like FScott Fitzgerald. 

New User
kathyt
0 Kudos

I forgot Austin, Alcott and Forster, no one ever really reads them ever more.. I must read Gatsby once a year and have given it to so many people who "like" to read and I am  amazed when they tell me how much they liked it.

New User
msuchoas
0 Kudos

Anything... Edith Wharton and Jane Austen

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

kathyt wrote:

I personally like FScott Fitzgerald. 

Welcome, kathyt--great choice with FSF!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kathyt wrote:

I forgot Austin, Alcott and Forster, no one ever really reads them ever more.. I must read Gatsby once a year and have given it to so many people who "like" to read and I am  amazed when they tell me how much they liked it.

Oh, kathyt--I've got 2 words for you on Austen, Alcott, and Forster--nobody reads them anymore? 

WE DO!

Ha!  :smileyvery-happy:  That's what's so GREAT about the Classics Book Club!  I hope you enjoy joining us!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I love C.S. Forester - Horatio Hornblower!  I finally learned what a mizzen is thanks to that series set during the Napoleonic wars.  The A&E broadcasts inspired me to read more and the TV miniseries is actually quite well done in comparison to the books.  Each novel is quite different and as a reader, there's not getting into a rut with them.  The first novel he wrote with the Hornblower character is "Beat to Quarters," I believe, and then he later went back and started from the beginning of young Hornblower's career in "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" creating an 11-book series ending with "Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies."  Fascinating stuff!  Forester is a great storyteller: he also wrote "The African Queen."

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
New User
streets913
0 Kudos

The Illiad & The Odyssey hands down.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

I love C.S. Forester - Horatio Hornblower!  I finally learned what a mizzen is thanks to that series set during the Napoleonic wars.  The A&E broadcasts inspired me to read more and the TV miniseries is actually quite well done in comparison to the books.  Each novel is quite different and as a reader, there's not getting into a rut with them.  The first novel he wrote with the Hornblower character is "Beat to Quarters," I believe, and then he later went back and started from the beginning of young Hornblower's career in "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" creating an 11-book series ending with "Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies."  Fascinating stuff!  Forester is a great storyteller: he also wrote "The African Queen."

Thanks for your comments, basson_mommy12.  You've probably inspired another reader to seek these titles out!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

streets913 wrote:

The Illiad & The Odyssey hands down.

Thanks, streets913.  You're not one of those lucky people who can read them in Greek, by chance, are you? 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
AuddyMarie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not only my favorite classic, but my favorite of all time.... Alice in Wonderland!

Oh! And The Great Gatsby!

Also may I suggest the December classic... In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd!

~~~~~~~~
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Paul Sweeney
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AuddyMarie wrote:

Not only my favorite classic, but my favorite of all time.... Alice in Wonderland!

Oh! And The Great Gatsby!

Also may I suggest the December classic... In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd!

Thanks, AuddyMarie, and welcome!  Thank you for your suggestion, too.  We've already picked Dickens's A Christmas Carol for this December, though.  If you ever wonder where we draw our classics titles from, many, but not all, of them come from the B&N Classics editions.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
JoWe
0 Kudos

My favorite classics...

Dante - The Divine Comedy (Inferno particularly)

Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities / Great Expectations

Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Dumas - Count of Monte Cristo

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Poe - The Fall of the House of Usher

Hardy - Tess of the D'Ubervilles

Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JoWe wrote:

My favorite classics...

Dante - The Divine Comedy (Inferno particularly)

Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities / Great Expectations

Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Dumas - Count of Monte Cristo

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights

Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Poe - The Fall of the House of Usher

Hardy - Tess of the D'Ubervilles

Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

Nice list, JoWe; more British than American titles, I notice (as an Americanist myself).  I wish you had been with us when we talked about TESS last year--we read it in conjunction with the newest PBS film adaptation and had special guests stop by, including the screenwriter.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
NevermoreBC
0 Kudos

Wow, here comes a long list.

Wuthering Heights

Edgar Allan Poe (everything)

Hawthorne ( The Minister's Black Veil, Young Goodman Brown, among others)

Lord Byron

Blake

Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility)

Moonstone

Emerson

Thoreau

Douglass

Dickinson

Paul Laurance Dunbar

Chopin

...........and others I cannot remember at 1030 at night

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

NevermoreBC wrote:

Wow, here comes a long list.

Wuthering Heights

Edgar Allan Poe (everything)

Hawthorne ( The Minister's Black Veil, Young Goodman Brown, among others)

Lord Byron

Blake

Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility)

Moonstone

Emerson

Thoreau

Douglass

Dickinson

Paul Laurance Dunbar

Chopin

...........and others I cannot remember at 1030 at night

Welcome, NevermoreBC, if I haven't done that already!  Lots of good stuff in your list above.  I like that you don't leave out poetry and non-fiction!  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]