Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kel65
0 Kudos

Re: What are your favorite classics?

I want to read more classics, which is how I ended up here to begin with ahah.

Let's see...

1984 - I had to read it in school, but it ended up being one of my favorites.

Of Mice and Men - I think I had to read it in school too, but I loved it.

Great Expectations - School again, but loved it.

The Outsiders - I consider this a classic personally haha, I couldn't put it down when I read it.

Contributor
josh84
0 Kudos

Well, I've read a few classics upto now: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island and currently Uncle Tom's Cabin. All three are really good. However, I will be re-reading Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island soon. I was in the sixth grade when I read them in school. Now I want to read them on my accord.

There were other classics that i read in school but never paid attention with, To Kill a Mockingbird being one of them. Now in my late 20's I have taken a renewed interest on these classics and hope to get to them in due time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kel and Josh!  I'm hoping to have us read some Poe in March, if you're interested!  Have you read anything by him, and what did you think of it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
josh84
0 Kudos

thank you, like kel i have decided to read more classics this year. so far i've started with uncle tom's cabin but will be re-reading those i read in school so many years ago.

i have never read anything of poe, i believe he is the one who wrote a tell tale heart? i was going to read it but never got too into it before, but that was a long time ago. i do hope to read some of his works as well this year. how do you all do your reads? i am interested in that, that's another reason why i ended up here.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

josh84 wrote:

thank you, like kel i have decided to read more classics this year. so far i've started with uncle tom's cabin but will be re-reading those i read in school so many years ago.

i have never read anything of poe, i believe he is the one who wrote a tell tale heart? i was going to read it but never got too into it before, but that was a long time ago. i do hope to read some of his works as well this year. how do you all do your reads? i am interested in that, that's another reason why i ended up here.

Yes, The Tell-tale Heart is one of Poe's short stories.  His most famous stories are mostly tales of the macabre, but he also invented the detective story (I believe that Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Poe's C. Auguste Dupin, who appears in three stories), and he also wrote some comic stories.

Each of the club boards here has their own way of doing things, and this one is kind of in a transition period, but the way we have usually done it is to choose a book to read and discuss over a month.  We currently have no February selection, and since I have gotten no objections, I hope that Poe will be our March selection.  The 'moderator' would divide the book up into sections to be discussed each week and post threads for it; that way, someone who is not so far along in the book can discuss earlier sections without fearing that they will read spoilers from later in the book.  In the case of a novel, it would be divided roughly into quarters, with a range of chapters for each week.  For short stories, there would probably be a separate thread for each story.  This is also kind of an open board, because if you want to talk about some other classic, you can post your own thread to do so.  Chad does that all the time.  But others may or may not reply, depending on their own interests.

I hope that gives a rough idea of how it works - if you have any questions, please ask!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
josh84
0 Kudos

this sounds great to me, i'm in. i've read three books this year and have no one to talk with about them for the most part. i'm all for it, i think that makes the experience even better. thanks for the thorough explanation.

Inspired Contributor
2manybooks2read
0 Kudos

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen(I know most everyone dislikes this one and I really can't understand why)

~Nikki
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

2manybooks2read wrote:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen(I know most everyone dislikes this one and I really can't understand why)

I don't exactly dislike Mansfield Park, but I have to admit that it is my least favorite Austen novel (my favorite is Persuasion).  I kind of feel that Fanny is a wimpy goody-two-shoes.  She's almost too good, if you know what I mean, and doesn't stand up for herself.

Wuthering Heights, on the other hand, is my favorite classic novel.

New User
CruserK
0 Kudos

Hello!

I am new to the board, "Classics" community and I thought this board would be a great way to introduce myself! 

My favorite classic novels are Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery (yes, I loved it before I loved the movie) and Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.

My childhood obsession with Anne of Green Gables, at that point the book and the movies, eventually brought me to my third and final favorite classic, this one isn't a novel, but a poem: The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Lord Tennyson.  I went so far as to do my senior research paper on it in college!

I'm looking forward to sharing the love of literature with all of you!

New User
CruserK
0 Kudos

I feel silly for posting again so quickly but I hadn't even considered the more recent classics in my last post. 

I was forgetting to mention some of the books that made me love reading!

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald was an early front runner's for best book ever when I was in high school!  All of the symbolism in this book, paired with the perfect story line, still gets me every time. 

I often find myself explaining to my husband about the Marxist undertones of The Crucible, by Arthur Miller.  I love that he was able to take a tragic spot on American History and make a social commentary of it.  It doesn't hurt that I am  completely fascinated period of American History, and Miller captures it perfectly and takes back in time completely every time I read it.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Welcome, CruserK!  Were you a literature major?  I discovered The Lady of Shallott after reading Agatha Christie's The Mirror Crack'd.

You should also check out the Literature by Women board - we frequently read classics in that group, as well.  We have just voted on the next six month's selections, and there are a few classics included.

Reader 2
RachaelSuzanne
0 Kudos

Persuasion, Jane Austen

David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi, RachaelSuzanne!  Those are great picks.  Persuasion is my favorite Austen, and while I don't think I actually have a favorite Dickens, David Copperfield is certainly up there!